Further decline in Scottish Capercaillie numbers

Watch
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-40720283

Capercaillie are a large forest grouse, found in pine woods and forestry plantations in Scotland.

Numbers are estimated at 1114 individuals, down from 1285 when the last count was done 6 years ago. Which may not look like a huge decline, but the capercaillie was already severely threatened and the population is small, so any decline is a cause for alarm.

Habitat loss (or poor habitat quality) has been blamed for the decline. Some birds are killed when they accidentally fly into deer fences. There is also the possibility that human disturbance could be having an impact as well.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
really sad black grouse seems to be going a similar way :/
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-40720283

Capercaillie are a large forest grouse, found in pine woods and forestry plantations in Scotland.

Numbers are estimated at 1114 individuals, down from 1285 when the last count was done 6 years ago. Which may not look like a huge decline, but the capercaillie was already severely threatened and the population is small, so any decline is a cause for alarm.

Habitat loss (or poor habitat quality) has been blamed for the decline. Some birds are killed when they accidentally fly into deer fences. There is also the possibility that human disturbance could be having an impact as well.
There is a relatively simple solution to this.

Capercaille is a game bird that is not being shot because its numbers are too low. As a result estates and gamekeepers are not putting enough resources in to safeguarding it. The Scottish government should set a target (no pun) number at which limited shooting is reintroduced and then a higher number at which unlimited (within season) shooting is allowed. Incentivise the sporting estates and the problem will go away.
Whiskey&Freedom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is a fine game bird. Tastes lovely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (192)
5.03%
Uncertainty around my education (556)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (428)
11.21%
Lack of purpose or motivation (526)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (229)
6%
Loneliness (320)
8.38%
Financial worries (141)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (150)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (170)
4.45%
Lack of real life entertainment (218)
5.71%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (341)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (358)
9.38%

Watched Threads