The Student Room Group

TSR Premier League Predictions 2017/2018

Mackay
Hopefully somebody else steps up!

mr tim
Thanks for doing this as always Mccrae, hopefully someone else will do next season.

Aky786UK
Hope someone can pick it up!

This crazy fool is going to give it a shot!.....

So folks with life getting in the way for Mccrae and my job tending to give me enough free time to deal with it, I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring with his blessing.

Prizes wise should be something similiar to last year (monthly winner gets an Amazon voucher, then something for overall winner, possibly more, in talks with TSR high ups will get confirmation next week).

So how does it work ? - Each week , you need to post your predictions for the upcoming gameweek in this thread. Each perfect score ( predicting 2-1 to Team A and Team A winning 2-1 ) gets 4 points, if you're the only one to get the perfect score for that game you get an additional point (so 5) and each correct result - predicting the winner of the match or that it will be a draw (Predicting 2-0 to Team A and Team A wins the match but not 2-0) is worth 1 point. I will post results at the end of the gameweek. At the end of the season the player with the highest score wins !

Still confused ? Here are the in depth rules !

Spoiler

PAST CHAMPIONS!!

Spoiler

So Onde wins the league two years on the trot, surely someone else can rise up and snatch the glory this time around?!

Just nicked who Mccrae had tagged as regulars last season, obviously anyone welcome to join this isn't everyone who was in last year anyhow, ideally best to actually be in from the start but you can jump in later no worries.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can I join?
Reply 2
Yeah no worries anyone can start predicting at any time, will stick the first weeks up when we're a bit closer.
Awesome, great to see someone stepping up. Excited to start again this season.
Reply 4
In
I may join in :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
In. Will post predictions closer to time.
Reply 7
In

Watch your back Onde, I'm not messing around this time :redface:
In
Reply 9
Awesome, should be in.

Just a suggestion but could we possibly use Superbru this year? Thought it worked well for Euro 2016 when we did it, and saves time?
In
Reply 11
Original post by hogree
Awesome, should be in.

Just a suggestion but could we possibly use Superbru this year? Thought it worked well for Euro 2016 when we did it, and saves time?

Any others have input on this? The only thing which bothers me about it is I believe it's scoring system for predictors is rather different than the current one we've used on here? I could be mistaken, but I don't think you're rewarded for guessing the win/draw but with the wrong score, it's all or nothing?
Thanks for picking this up!

I'm definitely in, hope to continue my good monthly form from last season

I prefer using the forum than Super Bru tbh, not that the latter isn't good but easier to remember to predict as I visit the forum regularly.
Reply 13
Original post by joey11223
Any others have input on this? The only thing which bothers me about it is I believe it's scoring system for predictors is rather different than the current one we've used on here? I could be mistaken, but I don't think you're rewarded for guessing the win/draw but with the wrong score, it's all or nothing?

For me, one of the main perks of Superbru is that your score for each of your predictions was affected by the "likeliness" of it. So if you picked a surprise result, you gain more than a predictable result. And yeah, you do get points for getting the win/draw/loss but missing the score, just less points. The points system for me is the main appeal for the Superbru Predictions, it makes it a lot more interesting as you have to take into account score gambles as having potential for a bigger haul than safe picks.

That's just me though :smile:

Original post by Aky786UK
Thanks for picking this up!
I'm definitely in, hope to continue my good monthly form from last season
I prefer using the forum than Super Bru tbh, not that the latter isn't good but easier to remember to predict as I visit the forum regularly.

There's notifications onto your email in case you forget if that helps lol
Reply 14
I think just for consistency with how Mccrae has handled this competition in previous years I'll stick to keeping it "in-house". Obviously at the moment we have 3 points for correct, 1 point for correct win/draw/loss but not correct score. If anyone was interested in slightly more complexity I could do one/more of the following..

1) If you guess a score correctly AND you're the only one who has done so for that match, you get an extra point. (or two?)

similarly...

2) If you guess a result (not a correct score just win/draw/loss) that no one else has gone for, you get an extra point. (for example Arsenal v Bournemouth and you're the only one who went for a Bournemouth win, even if it ends up 1-0 to Bournemouth and you predicted 2-1)

Obviously if both were used and you're the only one to predict a surprise result with a correct score, you'd get 5-6 points for it not just 3.

I could do those to give a bit of a reward for those who manage to guess surprise results if anyone likes? Or just keep the formula as is?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by joey11223
I think just for consistency with how Mccrae has handled this competition in previous years I'll stick to keeping it "in-house". Obviously at the moment we have 3 points for correct, 1 point for correct win/draw/loss but not correct score. If anyone was interested in slightly more complexity I could do one/more of the following..

1) If you guess a score correctly AND you're the only one who has done so for that match, you get an extra point. (or two?)

similarly...

2) If you guess a result (not a correct score just win/draw/loss) that no one else has gone for, you get an extra point. (for example Arsenal v Bournemouth and you're the only one who went for a Bournemouth win, even if it ends up 1-0 to Bournemouth and you predicted 2-1)

Obviously if both were used and you're the only one to predict a surprise result with a correct score, you'd get 5-6 points for it not just 3.

I could do those to give a bit of a reward for those who manage to guess surprise results if anyone likes? Or just keep the formula as is?

Yeah I would definitely appreciate both of those additions. Can understand why you'd want to keep it here, just thought it'd simplify things for you :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Onde
I think an issue with the Surprise Result method might be that we end up with endless circles of people keep changing their predictions right up to kick-off, trying to make sure they have unique prediction/s :tongue:.

One way of scoring might be 1 point for a correct result (win or draw), a 2nd point for a correct goal difference, and a 3rd point for a correct score. But I suspect that would be too much of a headache.

The current BBC/Lawro method of scoring might be worth looking at (10 points for a correct result, 40 for a correct score: we could have 1 and 4).

Are people going to be that obsessed? :tongue: Though of course even if they did that's a gamble they can take. Popular predictions are there because odds wise they're more likely to occur, if you want to make all yours unique it'll probably back fire in the long run. I would imagine most people don't base their predictions on what everyone is doing but look at form/injuries etc.

Tbh I'm open to anything if there's agreement. Obviously least effort for myself would be looking at 4 for a correct score instead of 3. I could introduce my two methods, or we could go with goal difference as you suggest (more work but doable). Or just leave it as is of course.

If other regulars want to comment over the next couple of days and I'll get an idea on the consensus?
In, will be nice to participate this year as long as I can find time for it :tongue:

Original post by Onde
I think an issue with the Surprise Result method might be that we end up with endless circles of people keep changing their predictions right up to kick-off, trying to make sure they have unique prediction/s :tongue:.

One way of scoring might be 1 point for a correct result (win or draw), a 2nd point for a correct goal difference, and a 3rd point for a correct score. But I suspect that would be too much of a headache.

The current BBC/Lawro method of scoring might be worth looking at (10 points for a correct result, 40 for a correct score: we could have 1 and 4).

Yeah, the time consuming element was what always put me off adding anything more complex in to be honest, but yeah there were times when someone nailed a surprise result and I wished I could have given them more than 1 or 3 points. The BBC scoring method was what I copied initially tbh before they changed it without me noticing last season.
Reply 18
Original post by Onde

I doubt anyone would take it that seriously anyway but that could also be resolved with SuperBru if preferred, since you can't see others' picks before the gameweek begins.
Reply 19
Original post by hogree
I doubt anyone would take it that seriously anyway but that could also be resolved with SuperBru if preferred, since you can't see others' picks before the gameweek begins.

tbh I don't think it would be a massive issue.

If you go in thinking it's going to be 3-1, and a few people have put 3-1 already, some 2-1, are you really going to put 4-1 just to be unique? There's probably a logical reason no one has gone with 4 goals. You might get lucky, but trying that all season is going to cost you more than it nets you I'd bet.

How about this then..

1 point for correct result, 3 points for correct result if no one else goes for it*. 4 points for correct score, 6 points for correct score no one else goes for*

*I feel going against the grain even on just correct result should be rewarding, if 20 people have gone for Chelsea to beat Bournemouth, and you're the only one who went for a draw, even if you don't guess the correct score of the draw right, I feel you deserve a bonus. If the bonus seems too good, can drop it to 2 points and 5 points respectively.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest