jasmine.cannn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently looking at what topic I want to base my EPQ on. At A Level, I am studying English Literature, History and Psychology. At University I want to study English Language and Literature however I do want my EPQ to be on something that I enjoy; I do enjoy researching around Politics as well. So far I have thought of doing it on Romeo and Juliet, Linguistics, Trump's social media campaign and migration in the past compared to now. I am however struggling to come up with specific question types around these areas and would appreciate anyone's contributions to either my ideas or new ones. Thanks...
Martha8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jasmine.cannn)
I'm currently looking at what topic I want to base my EPQ on. At A Level, I am studying English Literature, History and Psychology. At University I want to study English Language and Literature however I do want my EPQ to be on something that I enjoy; I do enjoy researching around Politics as well. So far I have thought of doing it on Romeo and Juliet, Linguistics, Trump's social media campaign and migration in the past compared to now. I am however struggling to come up with specific question types around these areas and would appreciate anyone's contributions to either my ideas or new ones. Thanks...
Hey! I'm not an English student but I did do an EPQ so I thought I'd try and help. There's nothing wrong with using areas you're not studying in your EPQ, so don't listen to anyone who says it has to be 100% English! Uni's just like to know you have the research skills, the real benefit to doing an english essay is that it gives you an area of semi-expertise that you can bring up when you find yourself talking to English professors at uni events!

For me the first thing that comes to mind with Shakespeare/Romeo & Juliet is Shakespeare's influence on language and communication - both in literature and in the more general world. You could talk about the words he invented, the precedents he set for literary techniques, how his works had such an effect on society he has directly impacted modern language. (Something like, 'To what extent have Shakespeare's works, with specific focus on Romeo & Juliet, impacted on modern language and communication.'

Alternatively, along the same lines (sorry if you're not interested in that at all haha!), you could try and do some comparison between the impacts of Shakespeare and The Donald. I don't really follow Donald Trump on social media so I'm not sure if it would work but it could make for a very interesting project. You could explore some of their surprising similarities (how both share controversial opinions, both use incredible and often thinly-veiled insults, the attention that both garner) and juxtapose this with their stark contrasts (the length of a play vs. the simplicity of a tweet, the massive audience of twitter vs. the relatively small audience that theatre allows) to conclude on who has/will have the most impact on society through their messages. You could probably come up with far more than me! (A title for this would be something like 'To what extent can Donald Trump be considered a modern day Shakespeare?' or 'An exploration into the impact of two influential figures on modern day communcation: Donald Trump and William Shakespeare.'

That's all I can think of right now (it's been 4 years since I read R&J so I can't help much there!) but I hope it's sparked some ideas
jasmine.cannn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you so much!! You've come up with some really interesting points

(Original post by Martha8)
Hey! I'm not an English student but I did do an EPQ so I thought I'd try and help. There's nothing wrong with using areas you're not studying in your EPQ, so don't listen to anyone who says it has to be 100% English! Uni's just like to know you have the research skills, the real benefit to doing an english essay is that it gives you an area of semi-expertise that you can bring up when you find yourself talking to English professors at uni events!

For me the first thing that comes to mind with Shakespeare/Romeo & Juliet is Shakespeare's influence on language and communication - both in literature and in the more general world. You could talk about the words he invented, the precedents he set for literary techniques, how his works had such an effect on society he has directly impacted modern language. (Something like, 'To what extent have Shakespeare's works, with specific focus on Romeo & Juliet, impacted on modern language and communication.'

Alternatively, along the same lines (sorry if you're not interested in that at all haha!), you could try and do some comparison between the impacts of Shakespeare and The Donald. I don't really follow Donald Trump on social media so I'm not sure if it would work but it could make for a very interesting project. You could explore some of their surprising similarities (how both share controversial opinions, both use incredible and often thinly-veiled insults, the attention that both garner) and juxtapose this with their stark contrasts (the length of a play vs. the simplicity of a tweet, the massive audience of twitter vs. the relatively small audience that theatre allows) to conclude on who has/will have the most impact on society through their messages. You could probably come up with far more than me! (A title for this would be something like 'To what extent can Donald Trump be considered a modern day Shakespeare?' or 'An exploration into the impact of two influential figures on modern day communcation: Donald Trump and William Shakespeare.'

That's all I can think of right now (it's been 4 years since I read R&J so I can't help much there!) but I hope it's sparked some ideas
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jasmine.cannn)
There are lots of ideas you could do on politics, have you thought about doing an EPQ surrounding the topic of electoral systems or even a certain part of the 2016 general election.

For History you should go to a bookshop, look in the History section it will give you lots of ideas! You then need to focus it all down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads