zstudent13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does anyone know which GCSE is harder, Geography or History? I'm interested in doing Medicine when I am older but...not sure what one will help?
Onikaminaj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would like to do medicine as well, I think.
The GCSEs you pick wont necessarily aid your led application (as long as you do compulsory ones) so really it's about which one you enjoy the most.
Different people will say which is harder and not but it depends on you.
Geography is quite sciencey and history is more essays so.
username1801813
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
whether you do history or geography will have no bearing on your uni application for medicine in my opinion.
it doesn't matter what you do for optional subjects to an extent, because a lot of them are "academic" subjects anyway, what really matters is the grade you get.
obviously medicine is competitive so you need good grades, the more A's and A*'s the better, so pick the one you think you're better at.
and the fact that ones sciencey and ones essay based is irrelevant.
zstudent13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Mosope17)
I would like to do medicine as well, I think.
The GCSEs you pick wont necessarily aid your led application (as long as you do compulsory ones) so really it's about which one you enjoy the most.
Different people will say which is harder and not but it depends on you.
Geography is quite sciencey and history is more essays so.
Which one are you thinking of doing, or have done?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I say do both. That's what I did. However, it probably won't impact your application at all if you pick one or the other.

Neither subjects are that difficult, and that's coming from someone who dislikes essays.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It wouldn't impact a medicine application in the slightest regardless of what you pick. In general for your uni applications your GCSE picks do not matter at all so much as the grades. History's slightly more essay heavy so if you're bad at those then geography's probably the safer bet. Otherwise, pick the one you like better/think you'll like better.
Onikaminaj
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zstudent13)
Which one are you thinking of doing, or have done?
I do both of them.
PoetryBlues
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I took geography for GCSE; two of my friends took history. I loved geography - it was my second favourite subject, and although I'm absolutely terrible at science, that didn't seem to affect my geography grades at all (despite the sciencey element). Personally, I found geography quite easy. Both my friends HATED history and both got E grades in their mocks. I've never taken it though so I can't say...

If you're good at and enjoy science and maths, it's likely you'll prefer geography. If you're good at and enjoy English, it's likely you'll prefer history. Saying that, I love English and hate maths...

I've had a better experience with geography on the whole.
asairab
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think it will have too big of an impact on what you want to do. They're both respectable subjects and they give you different skills. It's either a case of doing both or doing the one you are most interested in. Personally I have never enjoyed history but have always enjoyed geography. You'll gain a lot of skills that are very transferable. Geography has more links to science and maths whilst history links more with english. Don't worry about it too much, your GCSE choices aren't going to prevent you form doing what you want to do.
Gnatt27
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
History is WAY more interesting
username3454012
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not interested in medicine but I'll put my opinion in anyway I'm in year 10 and I do Geography. It's one of my top 3 subjects along with biology and maths. It's about how the world works, sciencey stuff, opportunities and challenges about urban areas and studying biodiversity of wildlife. It's so interesting and I love it. It's also quite easy XD Some of my friends do History and it's more analysing sources, remembering dates and writing essays kind of things, and is probably slightly harder than Geography. If you're applying for medicine they don't care about the subjects (apart from English and Maths), they just want the grades. Choose the subjects you want to do. Good luck with picking your GCSE's
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If your school does the 'Medicine through time' module I would strongly recommend you do hjistory. I will be applying for medicine and doing history is usrful to me because we learnt all about the Hippocratic Oath which you need to know when you're preparing for med intrviews, and also other ideas about how medicine has changed etc which can be very useful. If they don't do 'Medicine through time' then I don't think it makes a dfference which one you do.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
If your school does the 'Medicine through time' module I would strongly recommend you do hjistory. I will be applying for medicine and doing history is usrful to me because we learnt all about the Hippocratic Oath which you need to know when you're preparing for med intrviews, and also other ideas about how medicine has changed etc which can be very useful. If they don't do 'Medicine through time' then I don't think it makes a dfference which one you do.
Medicine Through Time looked like a great module to study. Shame I did Crime and Punishment instead
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do whichever subject you like best, universities are unlikely to discriminate because you took history over geography/geography over history. I much prefer geography, took it at GCSE and A Level - IMO I think everyone should take geography to give us all a better insight into issues around the world.
username1292215
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone know which GCSE is harder, Geography or History? I'm interested in doing Medicine when I am older but...not sure what one will help?
I did both and personally found Geography much harder, however I am now doing both at A-Level . It all depends on your strengths, but both GCSE's give you great skills that you can transfer into your A-levels.
RockSteel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are some topics in the History GCSE that relate to the development of Medicine, as well History could provide you with some analysis skills on information that you might not obtain if you did a Geography.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise