geniequeen48
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

I just finished year 12 and I didn't know how important references were for Med. So I've been volunteering at two places: one that I've been quite regular at, then stopped due to exams, and returned at the end. At the same time I was taking on the second volunteer placement.I have completed their minimum requirement which was to complete a certain number of hours. (first placement)

However, I'm unhappy about my second placement which is in a hospital. The first problem is that I live in north london and it's in south london (all the hospitals near my house rejected me due to age or where I lived -_-) so it has been a factor of discouraging me to go. However, other main problem is that I always end up speaking to the male patients and I feel so uncomfortable because most of them have been perverts (one even wanted me to go to his house weekly). The female patients never seem to want to talk (I've been lucky ONCE). So for a solution I have emailed the hospital to switch to a females only ward as I feel as I had more than enough experience with males of all ages.

The thing is is that they haven't replied and from my most recent placement I have had an extremely uncomfortable experience with a man so I've been refusing to go until my ward is changed.

Also, I was confused with signing in as they emailed me that I could sign in my rota online but I received an email today saying they haven't started that project of signing in online yet. I have been told that there is a big volunteers folder to sign in but I haven't filled it in even if I was present at the wards.

So now I'm really worried that I will not have good references from where I volunteer. I wish the hospitals closer to my house accepted me or that I switched to a care home instead but I feel it is too late.
How serious is this?
Graduate_Medic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by geniequeen48)
Hi

I just finished year 12 and I didn't know how important references were for Med. So I've been volunteering at two places: one that I've been quite regular at, then stopped due to exams, and returned at the end. At the same time I was taking on the second volunteer placement.I have completed their minimum requirement which was to complete a certain number of hours. (first placement)

However, I'm unhappy about my second placement which is in a hospital. The first problem is that I live in north london and it's in south london (all the hospitals near my house rejected me due to age or where I lived -_-) so it has been a factor of discouraging me to go. However, other main problem is that I always end up speaking to the male patients and I feel so uncomfortable because most of them have been perverts (one even wanted me to go to his house weekly). The female patients never seem to want to talk (I've been lucky ONCE). So for a solution I have emailed the hospital to switch to a females only ward as I feel as I had more than enough experience with males of all ages.

The thing is is that they haven't replied and from my most recent placement I have had an extremely uncomfortable experience with a man so I've been refusing to go until my ward is changed.

Also, I was confused with signing in as they emailed me that I could sign in my rota online but I received an email today saying they haven't started that project of signing in online yet. I have been told that there is a big volunteers folder to sign in but I haven't filled it in even if I was present at the wards.

So now I'm really worried that I will not have good references from where I volunteer. I wish the hospitals closer to my house accepted me or that I switched to a care home instead but I feel it is too late.
How serious is this?
Sorry to hear you've suffered some harassment in your volunteering.

The references tend to be more written confirmation that you attended, for how long, and with what duties, rather than offering an opinion on how good you are for medicine. At least, that was the case for the medical schools I applied to.

Regardless of what your volunteering manager thinks of your suitability, they should still provide a reference/verification of the fact you volunteered.

If still in doubt, I recommend contact the medical schools you want to go to directly for advice.
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unis rarely ask for references. Those that do pick a batch.

Anyway, if you were present for a couple of months they should still give you a reference. Your employer or whoever does your reference can ask the staff you were with during you placement to make sure you were present.
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
(Original post by Graduate_Medic)
Sorry to hear you've suffered some harassment in your volunteering.

The references tend to be more written confirmation that you attended, for how long, and with what duties, rather than offering an opinion on how good you are for medicine. At least, that was the case for the medical schools I applied to.

Regardless of what your volunteering manager thinks of your suitability, they should still provide a reference/verification of the fact you volunteered.

If still in doubt, I recommend contact the medical schools you want to go to directly for advice.
Would they mention dates of absence or would they just write an overview like "[insert name here] has been volunteering at [insert name here] for x months"? Even if you took time off for exams or didn't attend some days due to open days and events etc?

I feel very reluctant to go to my placement tomorrow because of the experiences and I want to call them but I don't know if I should mention if I haven't attended.
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
(Original post by angelike1)
Unis rarely ask for references. Those that do pick a batch.

Anyway, if you were present for a couple of months they should still give you a reference. Your employer or whoever does your reference can ask the staff you were with during you placement to make sure you were present.
The problem is that the nurses kept changing at the placement but I could try talk to the manager (I trust him and I feel he would understand).
Do they inform you if they choose to contact your references?
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The problem is that the nurses kept changing at the placement but I could try talk to the manager (I trust him and I feel he would understand).
Do they inform you if they choose to contact your references?
Yes
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
Yes
Sorry what are you answering to exactly? My question?
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry what are you answering to exactly? My question?
Lol
Yeah they'll inform you if they want evidence/references.
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
Lol
Yeah they'll inform you if they want evidence/references.
Oh okay thank you
Graduate_Medic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would they mention dates of absence or would they just write an overview like "[insert name here] has been volunteering at [insert name here] for x months"? Even if you took time off for exams or didn't attend some days due to open days and events etc?

I feel very reluctant to go to my placement tomorrow because of the experiences and I want to call them but I don't know if I should mention if I haven't attended.
The second one. Pretty sure you'll see the references before they're sent so you could always chose not to send it. If you're really not enjoying it hand in your written notice that you want to leave / chat to the manager. You can find another volunteering placement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.23%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.76%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.8%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (46)
24.34%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.59%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads