putanything
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A lot of people have asked if this is worth something.

Well I am having trouble deciding at the moment and was hoping for some objective opinions.

Heres whats happened in a nutshell. I wasnt a particularly good student but I was doing ok working towards a solid 2:2 and if I pushed I would have been a 2:1. Not overwhelming but I thought that was deserving and a good for the amount of effort I put into it.

Why am I going to tell a little story well I dont feel that this failure is completely down to my lazyness I am not the usual party student who complains when it all goes wrong.

Then a run of bad luck. I mean so the week before I planned to start writing my dissertation and a few weeks before I solidly hit the revision Mum gets cancer... aml... so sensibly (excuse dysleix spelling) I put exams and disertation on hold and do a repeat year. I was happy at that as it gave me breathing room. But I also suddenly needed money so have to get work temporary to cover summer. So all geared up to go back a month left on my tempoary work contract mum doing Ok I thought i was all set.

Just before I start I had a very bad fall and became unable to walk for 3 months... at the same time mum went back in for a full stem cell bone marrow transplant. I made the wrong choice and decided to battle through and continue with 3rd year... I was comuting up to 6 hours a day to go to uni and then to the hospital on crutches. I used uni as my normality and when i was there i was away from the other stuff i didnt want to deal with. I wasnt focused. I struggled through my dissertation. Things got back to normal but I put my self into a situation where i needed to work by taking a flat to cut down my commute time. so I struggled through. got my dissertation done thankfully and did well in it. the rest of my work suffered though but decided to sit the exams. a few weeks before exams my ex gfs mum was taken in with cancer as you can imagine world blown apart again. I didnt put the exams on hold and sat them and failed them. I was not thinking straight all that business. passed one resit exam. so resit year. my head still not right as you can imagine there was a lot of prolonged stress. My resit year was capped as you can imagine and i didnt take the exams as that year and this year I have been dealing with my emotions and wellbeing as I didnt take care of my self when everything hit the fan.

So I am facing these exams now.. i dont think I am ready for them and may be able to scrape a pass. How ever another option has been presented. Taking an intermediate qualification which with my current credits would be a BSc ordinary degree. This will give me the option of going back at a later year to finish my modules and get a good honours degree... the one I feel I had a good shot at had non of this illness had happened.

I am not relying on this now for a job as I work full time in a good industry that has prospects. so completing with honours is more for completeness and if i want to change careers.

If I do my exams now and scrape a 3rd then I feel any further studies like postgrad or masters will be instantly closed to me or very limited and moving into 'my degree field' would be very difficult indeed. But it would be complete.

Any opinions would be most helpful as I think i could do with objective input as I has a lot of people just telling me to get it done which I am finding unhelpful and adding un needed pressure.

Anyway

thanks for reading
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by putanything)
A lot of people have asked if this is worth something.

Well I am having trouble deciding at the moment and was hoping for some objective opinions.

Heres whats happened in a nutshell. I wasnt a particularly good student but I was doing ok working towards a solid 2:2 and if I pushed I would have been a 2:1. Not overwhelming but I thought that was deserving and a good for the amount of effort I put into it.

Why am I going to tell a little story well I dont feel that this failure is completely down to my lazyness I am not the usual party student who complains when it all goes wrong.

Then a run of bad luck. I mean so the week before I planned to start writing my dissertation and a few weeks before I solidly hit the revision Mum gets cancer... aml... so sensibly (excuse dysleix spelling) I put exams and disertation on hold and do a repeat year. I was happy at that as it gave me breathing room. But I also suddenly needed money so have to get work temporary to cover summer. So all geared up to go back a month left on my tempoary work contract mum doing Ok I thought i was all set.

Just before I start I had a very bad fall and became unable to walk for 3 months... at the same time mum went back in for a full stem cell bone marrow transplant. I made the wrong choice and decided to battle through and continue with 3rd year... I was comuting up to 6 hours a day to go to uni and then to the hospital on crutches. I used uni as my normality and when i was there i was away from the other stuff i didnt want to deal with. I wasnt focused. I struggled through my dissertation. Things got back to normal but I put my self into a situation where i needed to work by taking a flat to cut down my commute time. so I struggled through. got my dissertation done thankfully and did well in it. the rest of my work suffered though but decided to sit the exams. a few weeks before exams my ex gfs mum was taken in with cancer as you can imagine world blown apart again. I didnt put the exams on hold and sat them and failed them. I was not thinking straight all that business. passed one resit exam. so resit year. my head still not right as you can imagine there was a lot of prolonged stress. My resit year was capped as you can imagine and i didnt take the exams as that year and this year I have been dealing with my emotions and wellbeing as I didnt take care of my self when everything hit the fan.

So I am facing these exams now.. i dont think I am ready for them and may be able to scrape a pass. How ever another option has been presented. Taking an intermediate qualification which with my current credits would be a BSc ordinary degree. This will give me the option of going back at a later year to finish my modules and get a good honours degree... the one I feel I had a good shot at had non of this illness had happened.

I am not relying on this now for a job as I work full time in a good industry that has prospects. so completing with honours is more for completeness and if i want to change careers.

If I do my exams now and scrape a 3rd then I feel any further studies like postgrad or masters will be instantly closed to me or very limited and moving into 'my degree field' would be very difficult indeed. But it would be complete.

Any opinions would be most helpful as I think i could do with objective input as I has a lot of people just telling me to get it done which I am finding unhelpful and adding un needed pressure.

Anyway

thanks for reading

Ok I read it but am not sure it all went in or all of it needed to.

Lots of personal disaster, lots of ploughing on , lots of poor decisions where you dont do yourself any favours.

IMO do not do your exams now and get a third as it will be pretty much useless.

If they have given you the option of returning to do the exams to get a reasonable grade and full honours degree some time in the future, then take that. Much more sensible choice. Once you get a third you will never be able to change it and any resits will be capped.

Its getting on with it that has had you attempting things when you didnt have to and didnt do yourself justice. they were poor choices. Ignore the other people and do whats best for you. Talk to your tutor.

Imo the 3rd is nonsensical and a bad idea, whereas a chance to do yourself justice later, even if its four years down the line is much better. You also have the advantage in that you dont need the degree at the moment as you appear to be in reasonable employment. Patience and the long term wins out.

I'm only taking your word for it that taking the ordinary now will work as you say it will.

Ps sorry for all your backstory and you definitely had this heads down struggle on approach which I feel made it worse, but its not relevant as you are where you are.

PPS Cancer is crap, so hope they are doing well (notwithstanding the fact I may ahve missed they are not) so no intentional putting my foot in it if I missed it.
putanything
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi thanks for the reply.

The intermediate qualification is based on information from my personal tutor and a study suppory officer at the universtiy. I have just had difficulty making up my mind on which to go for.

You are right I am perminantly employed and do not need to take my studies any further for my 'back up' career options.

Bad choices and last moment decsisions have dogged me since I started this many years ago. The only advantage to finishing with a 3rd is it wont cost me any more money as I have no option after this but to fund tuition my self but that wont be an issue too much.

With regard to the ordinary degree working I think if i return to my current university if accepted back onto the course I will be able to finish as normal with 3 completely fresh modules. they are 20 credits. I have the option of applying to other institutions and then will be in the credit transfer system if accepted in which case I am unsure with how many will be transfered. The open university would allow a maximum of 240 credits onto there natural science degree with the physics pathway. As their modules are 30 credits I would need to take 4 of them so probably two to four years. Depending on how much cash I can spare for study. I havent checked but I am unsure if I will have to do another dissertation module with them.

Ps you have not put your foot in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads