If I can pick a 4th subject- Maths,FM, physics and???

Watch
Sonicalireza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
If I went for a maths degree and I could pick 4 a levels I'd pick these as they are the best subjects for maths however for top unis what is the best 4th to pick I know most people may say that they only look at the top 3 but what's the best

I had my eyes on computer science or chemistry however I do not enjoy chemistry compared to computer science (I still like it tho) and chemistry is probably the worst of my 3 sciences in gcse so can you guys give me a suggestion of the best
rosie.mn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You'll probably need to do 4 if you're doing further maths as not all unis count it as an a level on its own as it needs to be done with maths if you're applying to a different course so as a general rule of thumb, colleges will usually tell you to take 4 if one of those is FM.
Chem seems the most likely pairing however if you're considering an essay based subject, philosophy, English Lit or economics would be good choices.
Sonicalireza
Rep:
?
Just related to maths please for a top uni maths degree and I hate writing essays but love solving things
Sonicalireza
Rep:
?
Plus I'd rather die than take English
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sonicalireza)
If I went for a maths degree and I could pick 4 a levels I'd pick these as they are the best subjects for maths however for top unis what is the best 4th to pick I know most people may say that they only look at the top 3 but what's the best

I had my eyes on computer science or chemistry however I do not enjoy chemistry compared to computer science (I still like it tho) and chemistry is probably the worst of my 3 sciences in gcse so can you guys give me a suggestion of the best
I'd pick something I enjoyed and was good at - the subject will not matter too much.
username1837067
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Oh boy, I wish I could choose my A Level subjects again. Made very wrong decisions there. Anyway, I did do Chemistry and it's super interesting though really hard but so worth it. However, if it's not for you, it's not for you.

Why not do Computer Science if you enjoy it? And someone suggested Economics? That's bloody useful...
PlayerOne
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did maths, further maths, physics and economics which turned out being a good combination. I did consider chemistry but ended up choosing economics as it provided more of a contrast which is what you want in a fourth A Level (unless you really want to do a subject that happens to be similar to the other 3). Bottom line is to do something you enjoy for your fourth subject otherwise you'll end up not working as hard on it and will regret it later. It's better to get a good grade in a subject you don't need for what you want to do than to force yourself to do a subject you don't enjoy because it 'fits' better.
TobyReichelt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Just stick with 3 A-levels. Trust me. I've just completed 4 A-levels and regret taking the 4th which was computer science incidentally. I took maths, Fmaths, physics, and computer science. I shouldn't have taken computer science as it took away revision from the other subjects and offered me no tangible advantage over other candidates.
Disregarded7017
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Majority people in my school took either chemistry or computer science as their fourth, although they usually drop their fourth subject to solely focus on maths fm and physics.
I personally did not take physics though, never really good at it.
Candlewood
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think maths, further maths and physics are enough to get into maths, for a fourth subject i dont think it matters what it is as long as it shows skills that are desired for maths.
I did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry AS and I would honestly say if isn't absolutely necessary for what you need then don't take chemistry if it isnt your strength.
However, i know someone who is in maths who did chemistry as well as the other three.
MR1999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
3 is enough to get into any top uni, especially the A levels you're doing. Remember that all unis prefer 3 outstanding A levels over 4 amazing A levels. Getting A*A*A is always than getting A*AAA.
MR1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rosie.mn)
You'll probably need to do 4 if you're doing further maths as not all unis count it as an a level on its own as it needs to be done with maths if you're applying to a different course so as a general rule of thumb, colleges will usually tell you to take 4 if one of those is FM.
Chem seems the most likely pairing however if you're considering an essay based subject, philosophy, English Lit or economics would be good choices.
What are you talking about? Please name a single uni which doesn't recognise FM as a separate A level even though you get a separate grade and so a separate qualification for it?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Desmos)
What are you talking about? Please name a single uni which doesn't recognise FM as a separate A level even though you get a separate grade and so a separate qualification for it?
LSE, who specifically state they only consider FM as a 4th/additional A-level and don't consider the combination of Maths and FM along with another A-level to satisfy their requirement of 3 A-level subjects.
OwlOfFire
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would do computer science, my friend did maths, further maths, physics and computer science and she enjoyed it!
MR1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
LSE, who specifically state they only consider FM as a 4th/additional A-level and don't consider the combination of Maths and FM along with another A-level to satisfy their requirement of 3 A-level subjects.
They say it's not considered broad enough but only list four degrees where this is considered so - these are all econometric degrees, which OP probably isn't considering.

There are about 10 degrees where it's considered less competitive, but none of these is a maths degree, so OP is fine. In fact, for all maths degrees (except econometrics, if you consider that a maths degree), Maths and FM is either required or good enough to apply.

Also, they deem Maths and FM as not broad enough, but they still recognise both as A level qualifications.

Name:  Screenshot_20170729-143202.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  469.6 KB

OP is fine.
JanhaviPurkar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[URGENT] I'm literally in the same dilemma. I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and I'm not sure whether I want to take Chem or Econs as the last subject. (Not exactly sure what I want to do at uni but perhaps something in Applied Finance/Maths). Need to decide and confirm in 3 days. Advice?
Last edited by JanhaviPurkar; 2 years ago
Zoqua
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I want to probably do an Economics or Economics & Finance degree so this works quite well for me. I think Economics would be the best choice for most people with that combination as it gives you an essay subject which still has strong mathematical roots, whereas if you choose all Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry you lose that. I did consider doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics & Chemistry but my sixth form doesn't allow people to do 5 A levels, so I chose Economics over Chemistry for that reason.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (366)
84.33%
No (68)
15.67%

Watched Threads