Wirefox
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

So for a level next year I'm planning to study geography, English literature and either history or economics- but I can't decide which.

I know history is better regarded than economics however as I'm already doing 2 'heavy' writing subjects then I'm worried this may be an overload for me.
I'm passionate and interested about both subjects although in the future I'm thinking about pursuing law so I'm not sure which would be a better fit.

There may be an opportunity to study both subjects but that isn't confirmed yet and that also might really overload me.

So which do you think I should take??
Thanks!!
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
History and Economics are both similar in terms of difficulty so you shouldn't think about being overloaded.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Either would suffice. I'd probably be inclined to suggest you swap English out and take both in all honesty, unless you have an enduring love of analysing literary texts.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Economics and geography overlap quite a bit so although writing wise you’d be taking on a lot at least you’d be getting a bit of a break content wise.

As above, I think History, Economics and geography would be a killer combination
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wirefox)
Hey guys,

So for a level next year I'm planning to study geography, English literature and either history or economics- but I can't decide which.

I know history is better regarded than economics however as I'm already doing 2 'heavy' writing subjects then I'm worried this may be an overload for me.
I'm passionate and interested about both subjects although in the future I'm thinking about pursuing law so I'm not sure which would be a better fit.

There may be an opportunity to study both subjects but that isn't confirmed yet and that also might really overload me.

So which do you think I should take??
Thanks!!
The one you enjoy the most and are likely to get a better grade in.

They are both fine.

Imo I think History is a pretty good fit with Law, maybe better than any other subject. It doesnt really matter though.

Who your teachers are might be influential as well as what the syllabus for each might be. history can vary a lot.
Wirefox
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
The one you enjoy the most and are likely to get a better grade in.

They are both fine.

Imo I think History is a pretty good fit with Law, maybe better than any other subject. It doesnt really matter though.

Who your teachers are might be influential as well as what the syllabus for each might be. history can vary a lot.
Depending on which school I attend I'll either be doing nazis' and the tudors
Or the British, French and Russian revolutions.
The latter option sounds far more appealing to me. I don't know the teachers for either subject so I'll be going in with a blank canvas.

As for the economics, if it is anything like the induction session I attended then it will certainly be interesting but they didn't really go over what the course will be like.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wirefox)
Depending on which school I attend I'll either be doing nazis' and the tudors
Or the British, French and Russian revolutions.
The latter option sounds far more appealing to me. I don't know the teachers for either subject so I'll be going in with a blank canvas.

As for the economics, if it is anything like the induction session I attended then it will certainly be interesting but they didn't really go over what the course will be like.
Chat to your future teachers and look at the syllabus. Either of those syllabus are fine imo but its personal choice. Find out as much as you can and then just make a choice.

Both subjects are fine.Try talking to some History and economic students as well. History can be quite high volume.
Wirefox
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Chat to your future teachers and look at the syllabus. Either of those syllabus are fine imo but its personal choice. Find out as much as you can and then just make a choice.

Both subjects are fine.Try talking to some History and economic students as well. History can be quite high volume.
Yeah it did seem a lot of content from the induction,
Most people think geography, history and economics would be a good combination and in all honesty it is quite tempting as the English also contains lots of reading and some of the books don't seem particularly interesting to me.
Zystra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=Wirefox;72953882]Hey guys,

QUOTE]
I'm not you so I can't make your decision for you - but personally I study both Economics and History and they are both amazing subjects. I have friends who do 3 "heavy" writing subjects and they do get very burnt out easily.

Personally if you want to do law and can either pick one or the other- I'd say go for Economics but both are very good for that subject. If I was you I would take History, Economics and Geography - and if you go to the sixth form where you study the French revolution, Russia and Britain (exactly what I'm doing actually) it does cross over a LOT with economics (such as Marxism and modern politics) and geography and economics have a lot of cross overs. I'd highly consider doing that combo.

As you said - if you're passionate about Economics and History I highly advise doing both and pick the sixth form where you do Russia France and Britain. For me and many others who take both subjects they find it a hell of a lot easier than colleges near me doing other subjects because of the sheer amount of "crossovers" the two subjects have.
orphan_black
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Take it from me and do Economics - far more "predictable" in terms of the grades you get i.e. it's a pretty objective subject. A History exam will literally depend on the mood of an examiner. Got 100% in GCSE History, 100% in AS and a bloody E in A2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (62)
35.63%
I really love the subject (45)
25.86%
I don't know what else to do (22)
12.64%
I can't get a job (14)
8.05%
My parents want me to (4)
2.3%