The Student Room Group

Would you ever wear real fur?

Poll

Would you ever wear real fur?

As part of TSR's Pet and Animal week, today's discussion is about fur and whether you would would ever wear real fur and why.

Do you think its ok to use real fur for fashion garments or should it only be used for survival clothing in colder climates where people do not have access to other resources of warm clothing or should fur only ever be worn on the actual animal?

Tell us your thoughts on the subject
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Fur and Down are far better insulators than any man made fiber.

The problem with faux fur is that once it becomes wet which is very possible in the snow it will freeze. This does not occur with real fur making it vastly superior.

I don't really have an issue with fur for warmth, but I wouldn't wear it solely for fashion. I do own some fur, the coyote died for my warmth. Hardly any different to the hundreds of animals that have died for our lunch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I wear fur, I don't really see an issue with wearing it and I don't think faux fur looks as nice. 👍
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Meany Pie
Fur and Down are far better insulators than any man made fiber.

The problem with faux fur is that once it becomes wet which is very possible in the snow it will freeze. This does not occur with real fur making it vastly superior.

I don't really have an issue with fur for warmth, but I wouldn't wear it solely for fashion. I do own some fur, the coyote died for my warmth. Hardly any different to the hundreds of animals that have died for our lunch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is very reasonable. Wearing real fur for it's purpose, to keep warm, is fine by me. I do however have issue with people who wear it for fashion or because of some kind of trend.
Yeah I would.
I wont even wear fake fur because I don't want it to look like I am wearing real fur.
Reply 6
I wear leather all the time (motorcyclist). So I don't think I can reasonably object to fur clothing, so long as the animals are treated humanely.
Reply 7
I wouldn't just go ahead and outright murder an animal to use its fur for warmth and meat for food but if the animal has died then I would rather make use of it then just leave it to have died for no reason at all.
Original post by Kraggor
I wouldn't just go ahead and outright murder an animal to use its fur for warmth and meat for food but if the animal has died then I would rather make use of it then just leave it to have died for no reason at all.

So you are a vegetarian or even vegan?
Fur belongs on animals, not humans. I'll stick to wearing a few jumpers and a thick duster coat when it gets a bit nippy.
So you are a vegetarian or even vegan?

No No not at all xD But I would never just kill an animal myself. Unfortunately in today's world it is near impossible to stop people from slaughtering animals and Id rather use their leftover resources for survival . Tbf I don't eat as much meat now anyway just because my love for pasta is too much xD

Tbh if there was anything we could do with leftovers from humans who have died naturally than why not use it? (Controversial topic I know :s-smilie:)
Original post by Dez
I wear leather all the time (motorcyclist). So I don't think I can reasonably object to fur clothing, so long as the animals are treated humanely.

But, is it even humane to kill them in the first place? I understand that leather is more durable than most materials, but there is such thing as "vegan leather" which has the same durability. Dr Martens have a range of vegan leather shoes, I bought a pair and you would think they were real leather aside from the smell.
Original post by Durhamgirl96
Fur belongs on animals, not humans. I'll stick to wearing a few jumpers and a thick duster coat when it gets a bit nippy.

Synthetic jumpers I hope, not wool :sheep:
Synthetic jumpers I hope, not wool :sheep:

Definitely not wool. 🙌🏻
Original post by Kraggor
No No not at all xD But I would never just kill an animal myself. Unfortunately in today's world it is near impossible to stop people from slaughtering animals and Id rather use their leftover resources for survival . Tbf I don't eat as much meat now anyway just because my love for pasta is too much xD

Tbh if there was anything we could do with leftovers from humans who have died naturally than why not use it? (Controversial topic I know :s-smilie:)

It is of my opinion that if someone cannot kill their own meal then they should not be eating it.
Reply 15
But, is it even humane to kill them in the first place?

Definitely debatable, personally I don't have an opinion on the matter.

I understand that leather is more durable than most materials, but there is such thing as "vegan leather" which has the same durability. Dr Martens have a range of vegan leather shoes, I bought a pair and you would think they were real leather aside from the smell.

I don't think I've ever seen vegan motorcycle gear on sale anywhere (excluding textile gear of course). I don't know how tough the material is, motorcycle leathers need to be a lot stronger than normal leather clothing, so it's possible vegan leather just isn't suitable. But I would be fine with buying vegan leather if it was on offer and provided the same level of safety.
It is of my opinion that if someone cannot kill their own meal then they should not be eating it.

This isn't game of thrones xD

@Meany Pie
Why? I don't do my own plumbing, gas installation, electrical work. I didn't build my own house
I make a lot of my own clothes but I don't spin the wool or weave the cloth. I grow some veg but buy a lot as well as buying fruit. I don't catch my own fish or bake my own bread
Why shouldn't a butcher do it?
Original post by Dez
Definitely debatable, personally I don't have an opinion on the matter.

I don't think I've ever seen vegan motorcycle gear on sale anywhere (excluding textile gear of course). I don't know how tough the material is, motorcycle leathers need to be a lot stronger than normal leather clothing, so it's possible vegan leather just isn't suitable. But I would be fine with buying vegan leather if it was on offer and provided the same level of safety.

As a fellow biker, I agree. Don't see man made doing the job
Don't have a problem with leather. It's a by product for a start. The whole animal is used
Fur is a little different. It's not ethical to leave so much waste
Original post by Sammylou40
@Meany Pie
Why? I don't do my own plumbing, gas installation, electrical work. I didn't build my own house
I make a lot of my own clothes but I don't spin the wool or weave the cloth. I grow some veg but buy a lot as well as buying fruit. I don't catch my own fish or bake my own bread
Why shouldn't a butcher do it?

Butchers don't generally kill animals, they butcher the meat.

This is about the taking of a life for you own enjoyment. In modern life it is entirely possible to go without eating meat and still live have a healthy diet. But you make the choice to eat meat, a product of death. If you aren't prepared to take a life why should you be able to benefit from it?

Original post by Kraggor
This isn't game of thrones xD

Somebody has to kill it.

Quick Reply

Latest