The Student Room Group

Would you ever wear real fur?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meany Pie
Butchers don't generally kill animals, they butcher the meat.

This is about the taking of a life for you own enjoyment. In modern life it is entirely possible to go without eating meat and still live have a healthy diet. But you make the choice to eat meat, a product of death. If you aren't prepared to take a life why should you be able to benefit from it?

Somebody has to kill it.

Ill let you do it, you've got more balls than me :biggrin:
I tear up from seeing animals die from afar so I would be horrific if I had to do it xD
Original post by Spock's Socks
As part of TSR's Pet and Animal week, today's discussion is about fur and whether you would would ever wear real fur and why.

Do you think its ok to use real fur for fashion garments or should it only be used for survival clothing in colder climates where people do not have access to other resources of warm clothing or should fur only ever be worn on the actual animal?

Tell us your thoughts on the subject

Yes.

It's a bit stupid that people won't wear real fur yet they will wear real leather.
Original post by Kraggor
Ill let you do it, you've got more balls than me :biggrin:
I tear up from seeing animals die from afar so I would be horrific if I had to do it xD

Just shoot it from afar, problem solved :h:
Just shoot it from afar, problem solved :h:

oml so savage, I couldnt kill any of the cute things :hugs:
tbh you are seeming more like then animal :tongue: Maybe it's time...:backstab: :h:
Butchers don't generally kill animals, they butcher the meat.

This is about the taking of a life for you own enjoyment. In modern life it is entirely possible to go without eating meat and still live have a healthy diet. But you make the choice to eat meat, a product of death. If you aren't prepared to take a life why should you be able to benefit from it?

Somebody has to kill it.

@Meany Pie
Yes. I'm absolutely perfectly happy to let the abattoir and the butcher prepare my meat for me
I have plenty to do already do preparing my own meat doesn't fit on the list
Original post by Kraggor
oml so savage, I couldnt kill any of the cute things :hugs:
tbh you are seeming more like then animal :tongue: Maybe it's time...:backstab: :h:

Shall we find something ugly for you instead, camels are pretty ugly. Make a good coat as well :h:
We are all animals.
Reply 26
Original post by Spock's Socks
As part of TSR's Pet and Animal week, today's discussion is about fur and whether you would would ever wear real fur and why.

Do you think its ok to use real fur for fashion garments or should it only be used for survival clothing in colder climates where people do not have access to other resources of warm clothing or should fur only ever be worn on the actual animal?

Tell us your thoughts on the subject

It is tricky. I am vegetarian and try to be as vegan as possible...

I generally stick buy the rule I would never buy new fur, but if there were a vintage garment like a coat in a charity shop with fur on, I wouldn't be opposed to buying it. If someone gave me something with fur on I would accept it as long as it hadn't been bought specifically for me... i.e. it was theirs for several years and it didn't fit anymore or it was vintage etc. If they bought it new from a shop for me I'd ask them to return it. I do disagree with fur in fashion though and think the practise should be banned. There's plenty of realistic look a likes now. I don't know much about cold weather because I have never needed fur or down when I'm in the mountains... if there isn't anything as warm then I guess it's ok for survival. Indigenous groups like Inuits shouldn't have restrictions as long as they are humane. I try to do the same with leather too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Shall we find something ugly for you instead, camels are pretty ugly. Make a good coat as well :h:
We are all animals.

eww I dont want to be looking ugly, I'm perfectly fine with your coat thanks :h:
This is indeed true, all got a bit of animal inside of us:sexface: though I think im more panda :colondollar::couchpotato::eating:
Reply 29
It is of my opinion that if someone cannot kill their own meal then they should not be eating it.

Do you kill your own animals?
Original post by Kraggor
eww I dont want to be looking ugly, I'm perfectly fine with your coat thanks :h:
This is indeed true, all got a bit of animal inside of us:sexface: though I think im more panda :colondollar::couchpotato::eating:

We can shoot them instead, they have a lovely fur on them :h:
We can shoot them instead, they have a lovely fur on them :h:

You shoot any panda! I will shoot you and be making you into a coat instead:angry: At least we will have one less panda murderer and Id look good then too :h:
Reply 32
Original post by Sammylou40
@Meany Pie
Why? I don't do my own plumbing, gas installation, electrical work. I didn't build my own house
I make a lot of my own clothes but I don't spin the wool or weave the cloth. I grow some veg but buy a lot as well as buying fruit. I don't catch my own fish or bake my own bread
Why shouldn't a butcher do it?

Because animals aren't inanimate objects being fixed around the house, they are living beings being slaughtered? I actually don't agree that you should be able to kill it to eat it... because you should have to be a trained professional to cause the least suffering possible... but those two things are not comparable.

I think a better idea would be you have to be involved in its upbringing in some way or everyone should take a trip to a slaughter house. People should behave like normal humans and eat meat FAR less regularly.
Original post by Moura
Do you kill your own animals?

I don't work in a slaughter house, but I do kill and butcher a few of the animals I eat. Mostly rabbits and pheasants.
Reply 34
Original post by Dez
Definitely debatable, personally I don't have an opinion on the matter.

I don't think I've ever seen vegan motorcycle gear on sale anywhere (excluding textile gear of course). I don't know how tough the material is, motorcycle leathers need to be a lot stronger than normal leather clothing, so it's possible vegan leather just isn't suitable. But I would be fine with buying vegan leather if it was on offer and provided the same level of safety.

Original post by Sammylou40
As a fellow biker, I agree. Don't see man made doing the job
Don't have a problem with leather. It's a by product for a start. The whole animal is used
Fur is a little different. It's not ethical to leave so much waste

There is actually bike gear made from kevlar, the same stuff that is used in bulletproof vests. I'm sure there's other options too. People just don't look into these things, but they do exist.
Leather isn't necessarily a by-product since it's often not the same cows that are being raised for meat that have their skins used for leather.
Reply 35
I don't work in a slaughter house, but I do kill and butcher a few of the animals I eat. Mostly rabbits and pheasants.

I think if you're going to throw around the statement that you have to be able to kill the animal in order to eat it, you should either be eating game exclusively or working in a slaughter house. Shooting animals isn't the issue, it's the slaughter houses that are. 99% of people would probably get PTSD from killing an animal in a slaughter house... or even just witnessing it/hearing it... just read some accounts from people on google. Far, far less (including myself, a vegetarian) would have an issue with shooting an animal that has spent its life being free then being shot and (hopefully) dying quickly with minimal stress.
Original post by Moura
I think if you're going to throw around the statement that you have to be able to kill the animal in order to eat it, you should either be eating game exclusively or working in a slaughter house. Shooting animals isn't the issue, it's the slaughter houses that are. 99% of people would probably get PTSD from killing an animal in a slaughter house... or even just witnessing it/hearing it... just read some accounts from people on google. Far, far less (including myself, a vegetarian) would have an issue with shooting an animal that has spent its life being free then being shot and (hopefully) dying quickly with minimal stress.

Able is the operative word here. I am able to kill my own meat, if someone said to me kill that cow I would not have any issues in doing so.

I have been to slaughterhouses plenty of times and seen the process. I have killed animals with my bare hands when necessary. It really doesn't bother me.

I take issue with people who would never kill an animal but are happy for others to do it for their benefit.
Reply 37
Able is the operative word here. I am able to kill my own meat, if someone said to me kill that cow I would not have any issues in doing so.

I have been to slaughterhouses plenty of times and seen the process. I have killed animals with my bare hands when necessary. It really doesn't bother me.

I take issue with people who would never kill an animal but are happy for others to do it for their benefit.

You're able to shoot an rabbit in a field... you are not able to kill a cow in an abattoir. Very big difference. If you do end up being able to do that then I can't say I don't think it's disgusting but I guess at least you stick to your convictions.

You should defo audition for the part of Macbeth's wife :h:
Original post by Moura
You're able to shoot an rabbit in a field... you are not able to kill a cow in an abattoir. Very big difference. If you do end up being able to do that then I can't say I don't think it's disgusting but I guess at least you stick to your convictions.

Given the means I would not take issue with it, I don't think the same could be said about many people who consume meat regularly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending