The Student Room Group

Would you ever wear real fur?

Scroll to see replies

Would never ever wear a real fur for fashion, but likely to survive coldness in the wild. Animals should not die a senseless death, it needs a plausible purpose.
Original post by CoolCavy
No, stuff like angora especially, they pull it out of the rabbit when its still alive
fur is a waste, it doesn't just take one animal to make 1 coat and it never gets cold enough in the UK to warrant it anyway
fur as a look looks tacky anyway, faux fur is often made from dog/cat fur from china marketed as faux as well. Dont really see the need for real leather either and leather often isn't actually a byproduct, faux leather shoes or whatever do the same job
I would say about the conditions in fur farming but they are basically the same as intensive farming here, tbh i wouldnt eat meat either but whilst under this roof have to follow rules which is fair enough and fortunately people here buy local or free range stuff
Unless you are an inuit or something you don't need fur, fur just causes problems without it mink wouldnt be in this country eating water voles and there would be a hell of a lot more tigers etc

So it's a byproduct then. :wink:
Original post by JamesN88
So it's a byproduct then. :wink:

Not really, i thought for dog meat they just boil the whole animal which would destroy the fur?
it is wrong anyway as people buy faux fur assuming it is ethical (i.e no animals were killed) but the market contains a lot of dog and cat fur since often it is cheaper than faux
only if I was stranded on an island with no other source of warmth.
Original post by CoolCavy
Not really, i thought for dog meat they just boil the whole animal which would destroy the fur?

I don't know tbh.

it is wrong anyway as people buy faux fur assuming it is ethical (i.e no animals were killed) but the market contains a lot of dog and cat fur since often it is cheaper than faux

According to this dog and cat fur is already illegal so it's a case of making sure the law is properly enforced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39553061/fake-fur-sold-on-uk-high-street-found-to-contain-cat-fur
Original post by Kallisto
Would never ever wear a real fur for fashion, but likely to survive coldness in the wild. Animals should not die a senseless death, it needs a plausible purpose.

Out of interest,what is a senseful death ?
Original post by bobby147
Out of interest,what is a senseful death ?

What I named for instance: killing an animal to have a fur to survive the coldness in a hard wintertime. Imagine, there is no hood or cave to warm you up ( and no wood to light a fire!), but animals with a fur. Would you risk to freeze to death just because you have inhibitions to kill animals? don't think so.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by angelike1
What if the wolves/foxes are a detriment to your community?

I'm pretty sure there is more chance in a human being detriment in a community than a reclusive wolf or fox but sure, Jan

IMG_2045.jpg
Reply 88
Original post by Betelgeuse-
This is how i got into my hobby! My neighbours kitten always hung around my front garden pearing through the window (EVERY DAY) . As it grew older it became even more of a nuisance and was severely having a detrimental effect to my happiness. I drowned it and have been much happier ever since!

I am not serious of course but seeing how selfish humans are and the weak rationalizations itt make me despair

Omg me too! I just love the feeling of ending a helpless creatures life makes me feel so powerful and gives me something to do cause my life is so dull
Original post by Meany Pie
It is of my opinion that if someone cannot kill their own meal then they should not be eating it.

Please stop spreading your "opinion" as though it's law.

Why are you acting as if not wanting to kill an animal by yourself with your own bare hands when you have no experience is crazy? Do I live on a farm? Do I know how to kill an animal? Do I know how to correctly remove the harmful parts of an animal before selling it for consumption? Are cows and chickens and pigs accessible to the public for slaughtering in London?

Just because you grew up on a farm or in a slaughter house or whatever, that doesn't mean it's the norm for others to kill their food with their own bare hands.
By your logic, if you don't know how to cook, you shouldn't be eating.
If you don't know how to do your own plumbing, you shouldn't own a sink.
If you don't know how to build a house with your own bare hands, you shouldn't be living in one.
If you don't know how to grow plants and extract their medicinal parts by yourself with your bare hands, then you shouldn't be using prescription medicines. A plant is a living thing, isn't it? If you don't know how to properly extract the correct parts for the sake of medicine, should you be allowed to use commercial medications?

You came to this thread looking for an argument and to brag about being a farmer.
Original post by Petulia
Please stop spreading your "opinion" as though it's law.

Why are you acting as if not wanting to kill an animal by yourself with your own bare hands when you have no experience is crazy? Do I live on a farm? Do I know how to kill an animal? Do I know how to correctly remove the harmful parts of an animal before selling it for consumption? Are cows and chickens and pigs accessible to the public for slaughtering in London?

Just because you grew up on a farm or in a slaughter house or whatever, that doesn't mean it's the norm for others to kill their food with their own bare hands.
By your logic, if you don't know how to cook, you shouldn't be eating.
If you don't know how to do your own plumbing, you shouldn't own a sink.
If you don't know how to build a house with your own bare hands, you shouldn't be living in one.
If you don't know how to grow plants and extract their medicinal parts by yourself with your bare hands, then you shouldn't be using prescription medicines. A plant is a living thing, isn't it? If you don't know how to properly extract the correct parts for the sake of medicine, should you be allowed to use commercial medications?

You came to this thread looking for an argument and to brag about being a farmer.

You have missed the point.

I take issue with people who do not have the stomach to kill but will happily eat the produce of death.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have missed the point.

I take issue with people who do not have the stomach to kill but will happily eat the produce of death.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've missed the point. Why would the average person have the stomach to kill? Is it something that the average person has ever been exposed to? Is it normal for people in the UK to kill animals or even know how to?
Again, not everyone grew up on a farm.
Original post by Petulia
You've missed the point. Why would the average person have the stomach to kill? Is it something that the average person has ever been exposed to? Is it normal for people in the UK to kill animals or even know how to?
Again, not everyone grew up on a farm.

It is something that the average person should be exposed to.

People are far too disconnected from where their food actually comes from. I think many people like to ignore that they are eating the flesh of a dead animal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is something that the average person should be exposed to.

People are far too disconnected from where their food actually comes from. I think many people like to ignore that they are eating the flesh of a dead animal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's 2017 and the average person isn't exposed to animal slaughter, and most will probably never witness it in their entire lifetime. Therefore it's perfectly acceptable for people to eat meat and not want to kill their own meal. So maybe you should retract this now:

(Original post by Meany Pie)
It is of my opinion that if someone cannot kill their own meal then they should not be eating it.
No cos my mum used to tell me this scary ass story about this women who butchered animals (it's not real) but it would remind me of that all the time
Original post by Petulia
Well it's 2017 and the average person isn't exposed to animal slaughter, and most will probably never witness it in their entire lifetime. Therefore it's perfectly acceptable for people to eat meat and not want to kill their own meal. So maybe you should retract this now:

My opinion remains the same.
Original post by E102
I'm pretty sure there is more chance in a human being detriment in a community than a reclusive wolf or fox but sure, Jan

IMG_2045.jpg

No I mean in cases like where a fox is stealing away a farmer's baby rabbits.
Reply 97
Original post by angelike1
No I mean in cases like where a fox is stealing away a farmer's baby rabbits.

WHAT FARMER HAS BABY RABBITS LMAOOO I'm out
Original post by E102
WHAT FARMER HAS BABY RABBITS LMAOOO I'm out

Farmers have rabbits. Rabbits have babies? :/

Does it even matter? You do understand the point right? Fine replace rabbits with chicks or any other farm animal that is liable to predation.
depends if the animal is endangered or not.

I can't sit here and be like "oh, I'd never do such a thing - it's cruel" yet be having chicken for my tea. which I literally just did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending