Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The catholic church watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Before I start, can i just say that we do not need any athiests, anti-christian people or those other other religions commenting, as this is not an attack on christianity, just certain aspects of the catholic church.

How can the catholic church officially accept that evolution is in fact true when it completely undermines the entire religion. If creation is dismissed as a story that shows the character of god, rather than a factual account of the 6 day creation, it automatically opens up the rest of the bible to be called a story, thus destroying the religion.
    Another point is that without creation, there is no need for jesus to actually have come to earth or died for people's sins as the orginal sin would not have been committed.

ReputationRep:
    Very good points. I was not aware that the catholic church believed that, but then again I'm not catholic. Parts of the bible are methaphorical and sarcastic, but that is not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)

How can the catholic church officially accept that evolution is in fact true when it completely undermines the entire religion.
    Where have they done this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    quite

ReputationRep:
    I was having this very same debate with a girl on MSN, a catholic, and she said that since 1958, the vatican has accepted that evolution was true. I did not know of this previously either.

ReputationRep:
    I doesn't seem like something that the catholic church would do. I would be like them suddenly saying that contraception was ok surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I doesn't seem like something that the catholic church would do. I would be like them suddenly saying that contraception was ok surely.
    Well, this came from a catholic girl who seemed to know what she was talking about. She said there were people wanting to de-mything the bible and the creation story was one of the myths they were dimissing.

ReputationRep:
    I was having this very same debate with a girl on MSN, a catholic, and she said that since 1958, the vatican has accepted that evolution was true. I did not know of this previously either.
    If it is true, then I am certainly not aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    Are you catholic then?

ReputationRep:
    I will be surprised if it is true though, it's from the Vatican after all.

ReputationRep:
    Are you catholic then?
    I've had a Catholic upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this came from a catholic girl who seemed to know what she was talking about. She said there were people wanting to de-mything the bible and the creation story was one of the myths they were dimissing.
    But surely if they are saying that god didn't create the world they are admitting that he is not the creator of life they are denying so much of the bible that stems from adam and eve. After telling people that this is true for so long why would they suddenly change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I will be surprised if it is true though, it's from the Vatican after all.
    Oh come on, you have papal infalibility, so if the pope decides something should be changed or done, no one can argue.
    incidently, to pope is another sore point. Where in the bible did it ever say that the pope should exist, as having a man, which many times in the past have done very ungodly things, should be able to dictate what goes on in the chuch.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, you have papal infalibility, so if the pope decides something should be changed or done, no one can argue.
    incidently, to pope is another sore point. Where in the bible did it ever say that the pope should exist, as having a man, which many times in the past have done very ungodly things, should be able to dictate what goes on in the chuch.
    The Catholic Church isn't mentioned in the bible, it's man-made too.

ReputationRep:
    quoting wiwarin_mir
    How can the catholic church officially accept that evolution is in fact true when it completely undermines the entire religion.

its like 1984...DOUBLETHINK
    organized religion - big brother thingy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    But surely if they are saying that god didn't create the world they are admitting that he is not the creator of life they are denying so much of the bible that stems from adam and eve. After telling people that this is true for so long why would they suddenly change?
    They are saying that god created evolution, so therefore he was still the designer. Therefore you automatically cast doubt on god's omnipotence as you cast doubt on his ability to create the entire universe in 6 days.
    Then you have adam and eve dismissed, taking away orginal sin, another stumbling block.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The Catholic Church isn't mentioned in the bible, it's man-made too.
    I have decided not to bring that up as I want to attack individual points not the entire religion.

ReputationRep:
    The catholic church has never made such comments that evolution was the churchs stand. Whoever made that up was obviously uninformed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLiberal)
    The catholic church has never made such comments that evolution was the churchs stand. Whoever made that up was obviously uninformed.
    off topic: i hope that once the mods regain there mod cp powers, that your anti-semitic signature is edited.

ReputationRep:
    I have decided not to bring that up as I want to attack individual points not the entire religion.
    Well, the Catholic Church is based on the Bible, so it is obviously not mentioned in the Bible.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.