Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggy Hog)
    I fail to see why not ???
    I think the idea was that if he is the type of god that christians see him as eg being able to heal ect as well as being good and merciful and loving the people on earth then it is hard to understand why he would allow there to be so much pain and suffering even for people who follow christianity.

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see why not ???
    He has the power to stop the suffering and does not. There is no need for the suffering either. Kinda goes against the "save us all bit"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    He has the power to stop the suffering and does not. There is no need for the suffering either. Kinda goes against the "save us all bit"
    Once again, God is not playing the Sims. Be there, war, famine, pestilence, whatever else, God will not interfere. The reason Christians believe He handed us life was in order for us to rule our own destiny in the most complete form possible.

ReputationRep:
    You must have a massive chip on your shoulder - it is you therefore my friend that is week, not I
    Urm, yes. Creepy messages aside, you spelt weak wrong and you still have to go to church and live a lie. If you don't want a debate then why are you still here?

ReputationRep:
    Once again, God is not playing the Sims. Be there, war, famine, pestilence, whatever else, God will not interfere. The reason Christians believe He handed us life was in order for us to rule our own destiny in the most complete form possible.
    Ok thats fine but to me the idea of a christain God who chooses not to stop suffering but instead watches people dies needlessly when he has the power to intervent is not a God I would ever want to worship. What you are infact saying is that he doesn't give a dam about what is happening to people. It is possible for us to rule our own destiny without the suffering that the actual design of the world brings on us.

ReputationRep:
    So then why, conveniently, was there a miracle when it was impossible to prove that it happened, which saves thousands of starving people a fgew thousand years ago and not now, when people are again starving?

You see the two problems?

1. you say God doesn't play sims, but claim he makes miracles? that's interference
    2. why did he make a miracle all that time ago and not now while the world is watching these starving people?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thats fine but to me the idea of a christain God who chooses not to stop suffering but instead watches people dies needlessly when he has the power to intervent is not a God I would ever want to worship.
    Me neither, my mum was a catholic, she started to loose her faith when she became a doctor because she saw all the pain and suffering that was going on. She completely lost her faith when she got MS because she just couldn't believe in a god who would allow such horrible things to happen in the world and do nothing. Even for people who were supposedly following his word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    You really pressed me to think, something most people do not normally do.
    Whatever your religious persuasions, a very thought-provoking little game called Battleground God can be found at: http://www.philosophers.co.uk/games/god.htm

It asks you true/false questions to see how logically self-consistent your views on the existence or non-existence of a deity are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    So then why, conveniently, was there a miracle when it was impossible to prove that it happened, which saves thousands of starving people a fgew thousand years ago and not now, when people are again starving?

You see the two problems?

1. you say God doesn't play sims, but claim he makes miracles? that's interference
    2. why did he make a miracle all that time ago and not now while the world is watching these starving people?
    All the answers to your questions are in my previous posts.
    Btw, do you believe Islam is a whole load of baloney as well? Because I can assure you, the muslims believe in this the same way as Christians do

ReputationRep:
    Btw, do you believe Islam is a whole load of baloney as well? Because I can assure you, the muslims believe in this the same way as Christians do
    From what I have read on the subject the Muslim concept of god isn't as nice and happy as the Christian concept of god. But I could be wronge there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Me neither, my mum was a catholic, she started to loose her faith when she became a doctor because she saw all the pain and suffering that was going on. She completely lost her faith when she got MS because she just couldn't believe in a god who would allow such horrible things to happen in the world and do nothing. Even for people who were supposedly following his word.
    My great Uncle fought in the war, and was involved in the D-day landings. He had his legs blown off and saw his twin brother die in front of him.
    Once he came back to New Zealand, he became a priest. The war strengthened his faith not the other way around. I suppose it's the two opposite ways of looking at the same problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    From what I have read on the subject the Muslim concept of god isn't as nice and happy as the Christian concept of god. But I could be wronge there.
    You are wrong. Essentially, muslims and christians believe in the same god

ReputationRep:
    Btw, do you believe Islam is a whole load of baloney as well?
    Yes, Islam is also a whole load of baloney.

ReputationRep:
    You see it is things like this that confuse me. I occasionally post on some christian forums and I have seen christians who say that the reason that they don't believe Islam is a genuin religion is because Allah isn't as "nice" as the christian god. They say that Allah is more like the god of the old testiment than the new testiment ect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I myself, being of evangelical/baptist origins, believe that the bible must be taken as complete truth. Catholics are under the power of the pope, so they must believe whatever he tells them to, due to papal infalibility, so it can be confusing.
    Why must the bible be taken as complete truth? It was written by man not by god and so, like any man-made thing, is likely to contain some error. Who made the pope infallible? I am catholic and I don't fully believe that the pope should be infallible. Why, when he is human like the rest of us?

ReputationRep:
    According to muslims.
    However, muslims believe that jews and xtians got god's message wrong and Mohammed brought the definite original version yet again, whereas xtians think Mohammed was - to put it more politely than most xtians- mistaken and jews think they both believe in a pair of frauds or lunatics.
    It doesn't much matter: both muslims and xtians believe that god is a jolly nice chap who is going to put nearly all of the human race in hell for ever to suffer pain beyond the imagination of anyone who ever lived, and it serves them right.

ReputationRep:
    My great Uncle fought in the war, and was involved in the D-day landings. He had his legs blown off and saw his twin brother die in front of him.
    Once he came back to New Zealand, he became a priest. The war strengthened his faith not the other way around. I suppose it's the two opposite ways of looking at the same problem
    agreed, to me tho it does not make logical sense

ReputationRep:
    All the answers to your questions are in my previous posts.
    I found one answer that I hadn't seen before, about Africans would have given up if they had believed God could do anything.

So my two points still stand,

how can there be miracles if God doesn't play the Sims,
    why did he save thousands of people a while ago and not today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Ihow can there be miracles if God doesn't play the Sims
    Alright, God sometimes intercedes when we ask him to (as I had previously stated) - at Lourdes for example

(Original post by mik1a)
    why did he save thousands of people a while ago and not today?
    Why don't you ask him? How on earth should I know?

ReputationRep:
    agreed, to me tho it does not make logical sense
    You dismiss religion because you find it unlogical When has the world ever been logical? Why did dinosaurs, contrary to all logic, fade into extinction?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.