The Student Room Group

Why do people who work at the jobcentre act as if

they are above all those who sign on?

Most of the job centre staff are really friendly but there are a few who give you a hard time when you sign on. They act as all high and mighty just because they have a job and we don't.

This one advisor had a look at my finding work booklet and told me I was supposed to be applying for double the amount of jobs stated in my JSA contract and then she sanctioned me for a few months the ****. I hope she isn't still working there, I never wanna see her ugly mug again. I hope lots of brave people complained about her and she got the sack. She deserves to sign on and have her benefits sanctioned.

It's so unfair
Reply 1
Well why didn't you have double the jobs in booklet? :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've applied for at lest the amount of jobs as given in your contract, then you have grounds to get sanction overturned. You have to get mandatory reconsideration first.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Well why didn't you have double the jobs in booklet? :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't part of my contract, I had to have been applying for at least 6 jobs a week at the time and the advisor said I had to be applying for double jobs but that's not what was agreed in my contract.
Original post by Cate1976
If you've applied for at lest the amount of jobs as given in your contract, then you have grounds to get sanction overturned. You have to get mandatory reconsideration first.

I didn't know this at the time, it was years ago and there is nothing I can do about it now that I don't even sign on anymore.
Original post by samzy21
It wasn't part of my contract, I had to have been applying for at least 6 jobs a week at the time and the advisor said I had to be applying for double jobs but that's not what was agreed in my contract.

When they're dishing out your money, there's little point arguing with them or taking a stand to prove a point. You're going to lose.

12 jobs a week would not have been very difficult, would it?
Because people who have hit hard times for multiple reasons are all seen as poor scum. Sad but true. It's more about sanctioning then actually helping people. These changes are a result of Cameron's govt. I'm sure more people would be in work if attitudes changed.
It's honestly like they're trying to embarrass you or make you feel bad for not having a job. I made it clear that I was only signing on out of sheer desperation because I only have £10 left of my overdraft and I badly needed money. I'd been trying to go it alone for as long as I could before my money ran out, and I already even had three job interviews lined up, but I was still treated as though I was a benefit scrounger too lazy to work when that couldn't be further from the truth. It's humiliating.
Original post by sunburnt.penguin
It's honestly like they're trying to embarrass you or make you feel bad for not having a job. I made it clear that I was only signing on out of sheer desperation because I only have £10 left of my overdraft and I badly needed money. I'd been trying to go it alone for as long as I could before my money ran out, and I already even had three job interviews lined up, but I was still treated as though I was a benefit scrounger too lazy to work when that couldn't be further from the truth. It's humiliating.

I know it's very humiliating, I hated all the time I was signed on. The only problem is I may have to go back there to sort out an issue
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
When they're dishing out your money, there's little point arguing with them or taking a stand to prove a point. You're going to lose.

12 jobs a week would not have been very difficult, would it?

Do you know how long it takes to do one job application? You can't do it in 5 minutes when you have to write a cover letter. I didn't have the time for that, I was a part time student at the same time. Yes I know you're going to argue why I did both at the same time. My education was most important, I was forced to sign on to as I had no job and my mum wouldn't have got any housing benefit if I didn't sign on
Original post by samzy21
Do you know how long it takes to do one job application? You can't do it in 5 minutes when you have to write a cover letter. I didn't have the time for that, I was a part time student at the same time. Yes I know you're going to argue why I did both at the same time. My education was most important, I was forced to sign on to as I had no job and my mum wouldn't have got any housing benefit if I didn't sign on

Yes, I know exactly how long it takes. I was on JSA while studying for Access to HE and volunteering part-time on an employability course. I managed it and the idea that you couldn't manage 12 meaningful applications in a week is ludicrous.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Yes, I know exactly how long it takes. I was on JSA while studying for Access to HE and volunteering part-time on an employability course. I managed it and the idea that you couldn't manage 12 meaningful applications in a week is ludicrous.

You sound like a guy. You probably had no responsibilities at home but I did as I am a girl, how was I supposed to do everything?
I also had things going on at home that weren't helping
The poor have always been hated. Always.
Original post by samzy21

I can second this. I've been applying for a new job the past couple of weeks and it takes so long cause most places won't just accept a CV/cover letter, you have to complete an online form for pretty much every position and they go on forever.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I can second this. I've been applying for a new job the past couple of weeks and it takes so long cause most places won't just accept a CV/cover letter, you have to complete an online form for pretty much every position and they go on forever.

I know, it's getting more and more complicated. Before you just had to send off your cv and wait for them to tell you if you got an interview or not. Now they've made it so difficult like they want no one to become employed. It's so difficult to get a job because you have to compete with hundreds of others for the same job because there aren't many jobs going in the first place. And then working people have the nerve to look down upon people on benefits like they are scums scrounging the governments money but that isn't true. They would like to work and be financially independent too but there are no opportunities for them.
Original post by samzy21
You sound like a guy. You probably had no responsibilities at home but I did as I am a girl, how was I supposed to do everything?

You're a woman, not a girl. What tasks you took on at home probably did not add up to the 15 hours I did volunteering each week, alongside making meaningful applications to satisfy DWP.
The job centre is know to be the most soul destroying place on earth. I went there a couple years back and they offered my unpaid work experience at Poundland, they take the ****ing piss.
They sent me on a mandatory course that taught how to work in a team despite the fact I went to uni for 3 years and graduated, and there were people with Law and Finance degrees too :rofl: The worst part was where to answer questions on papers we could not do it on our own, we were dictated by tutor what to write :facepalm:

Plus, one of the advisors that I saw (the days when my own was not available) they told me I apply for too many jobs a week :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest