The Student Room Group

best universities for geology

hi I'm joe, from London and I was wondering what people think are the best uni's for studying geology with a foundation year. thank you!
Southampton is the first that comes to mind. SOES has an excellent reputation and fantastic facilities, particularly if marine geology becomes an area of interest. However you need to decide whether you want to do geology, or geophysics, beforehand - as they have separate foundation years (although you could go from the geophysics foundation to geology, the reverse isn't true - although if they're oversubscribed they're only obligated to offer you a place on geophysics). You won't do any actual geology (or geophysics specifically - although a lot of physics generally on that foundation) on the foundation year though. I believe Leeds also has a foundation for it and is very well regarded for earth sciences/geology - particularly for exploration geophysics type things.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Southampton is the first that comes to mind. SOES has an excellent reputation and fantastic facilities, particularly if marine geology becomes an area of interest. However you need to decide whether you want to do geology, or geophysics, beforehand - as they have separate foundation years (although you could go from the geophysics foundation to geology, the reverse isn't true - although if they're oversubscribed they're only obligated to offer you a place on geophysics). You won't do any actual geology (or geophysics specifically - although a lot of physics generally on that foundation) on the foundation year though. I believe Leeds also has a foundation for it and is very well regarded for earth sciences/geology - particularly for exploration geophysics type things.

right now my firm is plymouth and i dont know if i wanna go into clearing for a different uni with the same course. southampton is my insurance but not sure how i feel about the place itself so if i decide to go into clearing i want to know my backups asap. are there any other unis you know of? and out of curiosity whats your opinion on plymouth
Original post by JP1001
right now my firm is plymouth and i dont know if i wanna go into clearing for a different uni with the same course. southampton is my insurance but not sure how i feel about the place itself so if i decide to go into clearing i want to know my backups asap. are there any other unis you know of? and out of curiosity whats your opinion on plymouth

If you're happy with your choice of Plymouth, I see no reason why you shouldn't pursue that. Loughborough or Manchester may offer similar courses. I would personally rate Southampton above Plymouth, academically. It's a good university on the whole, and SOES is definitely one of their star departments in my view (along with their engineering cohort, and chemistry).

But if you don't like the feel of the university, that can be a major influence on how well you perform in the course and thus your graduate prospects - it's better to go somewhere you will enjoy your time outside of the course, as well as within it, to maximise your potential :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by JP1001
hi I'm joe, from London and I was wondering what people think are the best uni's for studying geology with a foundation year. thank you!

It might be worth finding out about the possibility of moving universities after your foundation year, or doing an access to science course, instead.

A girl in my year (I'm studying geology and LOVING it) did an access course in another uni and then applied to ours for first year. Is that something you think you'd want to do?
Reply 5
Original post by Geo2
It might be worth finding out about the possibility of moving universities after your foundation year, or doing an access to science course, instead.

A girl in my year (I'm studying geology and LOVING it) did an access course in another uni and then applied to ours for first year. Is that something you think you'd want to do?

yeah i wouldnt rule it out so im gonna keep my options open. how difficult is the geology course out of curiosity?
Reply 6
Original post by JP1001
yeah i wouldnt rule it out so im gonna keep my options open. how difficult is the geology course out of curiosity?

I found parts of first year difficult, but in general, no. You might have a different experience though. I say no as someone who LOVES geology, worked consistently through the year, and is strong all rounder academically. I never worked late into the night, had a reasonable social life, plus hobbies, and managed to get a good grade. I expect second year to be more challenging, but look forward to it.

Anyway, if you like the subject don't let difficulty put you off, and don't pick a subject just because it's easy.

PM me if you'd like more details or have other questions. I don't like putting too much info about myself on public forums :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending