Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just received my GCSE results which are:-
    Science Double Award-AA, English Literature-B, English Language-A, Maths-A, RS-A, ICT-A*, History-A, French-D, Resistant Materials-A,
    I would like to study Law at a top university like LSE but do not know what to take at A-Level.
    I am going to definately take History and RS as they are my strongest subjects and General Studies because it is compulsory, but am not sure if I should take ICT- is it a Mickey Mouse subject which will be frowned upon by the universities? I did get an A* in it at Gcse which I thougth would help me achive an easy A at a- level or would Biology which is my strongest science be a better subject? I am useless at Chemistry and physics so they are out of the queation. I am also thinking of taking Phycology as an As ot maybe A2 will this be a 'proper' science.
    So would History, Rs, ICT, Phycology be good or History, RS, Biology, Phycology? Your help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    There are cases when, for example, a VCE in ICT isn't looked upon as greatly as should be deserved. I wouldn't be too sure how relevant that will be either? History is an excellent choice, Politics would be also if that were an option. Although your French grade may not have been high, perhaps continuing on English into A-level may yield some benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudgetherabbit)
    Science Double Award-AA, English Literature-B, English Language-A, Maths-A, RS-A, ICT-A*, History-A, French-D, Resistant Materials-A,
    I would like to study Law at a top university like LSE but do not know what to take at A-Level.
    I am going to definately take History and RS as they are my strongest subjects and General Studies because it is compulsory, but am not sure if I should take ICT- is it a Mickey Mouse subject which will be frowned upon by the universities? I did get an A* in it at Gcse which I thougth would help me achive an easy A at a- level or would Biology which is my strongest science be a better subject? I am useless at Chemistry and physics so they are out of the queation. I am also thinking of taking Phycology as an As ot maybe A2 will this be a 'proper' science.
    So would History, Rs, ICT, Phycology be good or History, RS, Biology, Phycology? Your help would be much appreciated.
    Since you got an A in Maths I'd advise you to carry it on unless you really hate it, as it leaves lots of doors open.
    Generally law departments aren't that fussed about having certain subjects, so it shouldn't matter that much. Have you thought about taking Politics?

ReputationRep:
    If you got AA at double science and feel you're not so goods in Chemistry and Physics then you probably were well into A* standard in biology so I'd take that if I were you

ReputationRep:
    Be warned with psychology. Although I took it and, for the most part, enjoyed it if you are looking to apply to the top unis for Law it probably isn't the best option for you. If you want to do a science then I agree that biology would be the better option.

History and RS are both great options and I would agree with whoever suggested taking Maths at A level unless you absolutely hate it. If you are good at Maths and ICT how about an A level in Computing/computer science (if your college does it). As far as I know, it is a lot more respected than ICT but obviously related.

ReputationRep:
    A-level maths is still quite a big jump from gcse even if you have grade a. I had an A* at gcse and found it a lot of work. i got there in the end. but if youre not a natural mathematician and dont need it, i wouldnt recommend it. It was a big workload for me, so would depend on ur other subjects. Would be good though if you want to be a tax lawyer,

for law, although i know people who have done 2 sciences and got in for law, if you want to go for top 10, do analytical essay subjects e.g. history, english, economics, philosophy (rs), govt and politics. Chem is pretty well regarded for patents law. a language for international law would be good, but looking at your french grade you may not want to do that.

ReputationRep:
    From some prospectus' i've looked at most top uni's ask for a language at GCSE A-C, but i'm not sure whether they rank it as high importance compared to your A-level results.

I would recommend taking History or Politics as it goes well with Law, but many people i know who are going to study Law don't take these subjects, but they do take English lit.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of your advice. I am unable to take politics, computing or economics. My sixth form has four blocks of subjetcs from which I can choose only one subject from each block. Which means I am even more limited to what I can take. The subjects available for me other than History and RS (once they are chosen from the blocks) are:-
    Maths
    Biology
    English Lit
    English
    Psychology
    ICT
    I am not a natural at Maths or any English and was very surprised by the results I got in my GCSEs, if iCT isnt a proper subject it leaves me with Biology and Psychology. Do the Law departments really care whether I take ICT? And is Biology hard at A-level compared to GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    And is Biology hard at A-level compared to GCSE?
    Almost all your A Levels will be harder compared to GCSE, and logically that's the way it should be. Biology at AS/A2 is much more in depth and there's more to learn. However, as long as you're doing the required reading & learning the content being taught in class it should be straightforward and you should do well.

ReputationRep:
    if iCT isnt a proper subject it leaves me with Biology and Psychology. Do the Law departments really care whether I take ICT?
    I'd say ICT is as respected as Psychology...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I'd say ICT is as respected as Psychology...
    I had no problems picking my AS/A2 subjects. There really isn't any point studying something you don't enjoy or find particularly challenging. Don’t let what others think stop you from studying the subject of your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I had no problems picking my AS/A2 subjects. There really isn't any point studying something you don't enjoy or find particularly challenging. Don’t let what others think stop you from studying the subject of your choice.
    I would agree, but I did that and now am slightly more restricted when choosing uni's.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree, but I did that and now am slightly more restricted when choosing uni's.
    What subjects did you study? And what exactly is it that you want to study at University? I think as long as you've achieved a balance you should be fine. I did English, History, Biology and Psychology - some would say I chose the 'easy' subjects :rolleyes: but I found most of them academically challenging and enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    I think I will choose History, RS, Biology, Psychology and General Studies. I will drop General Studies after a year. I might or might not drop either Biology or Psychology but it will depend on how well I do.
    Do you believe that this is a good mix of subjects which will allow me to study law at a top university such as LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    What subjects did you study? And what exactly is it that you want to study at University? I think as long as you've achieved a balance you should be fine. I did English, History, Biology and Psychology - some would say I chose the 'easy' subjects :rolleyes: but I found most of them academically challenging and enjoyable.
    I'm doing Maths, ICT, Business, Media and I want to do Economics at uni. LSE, Cambridge and Warwick all stated they disliked applicants studying these subjects (fortunately the only one I may want to go to is Warwick so I'll have to wow them in my PS :cool: )
    Also I found each of these subject challenging and with the exception of ICT, enjoyable :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, ICT, Business, Media and I want to do Economics at uni. LSE, Cambridge and Warwick all stated they disliked applicants studying these subjects (fortunately the only one I may want to go to is Warwick so I'll have to wow them in my PS :cool: )
    Also I found each of these subject challenging and with the exception of ICT, enjoyable :rolleyes:
    i'm thinking of LSE or Bristol for Law. Would they except English lit. Media , Politics? The only subject that i'm taking that is traditional is English lit. is that OK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i'm thinking of LSE or Bristol for Law. Would they except English lit. Media , Politics? The only subject that i'm taking that is traditional is English lit. is that OK?
    Politics usually counts as a resepectable subject I think. Media may be an issue though, especially for LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Politics usually counts as a resepectable subject I think. Media may be an issue though, especially for LSE.
    well i have a choice to either drop history or media, but i got a higher mark in Media. but i think the mark i got for my history was a little unfair so i'm asking for a copy of my script back because i don't know where i went wrong. If i could bet money on it before i would have said that i performed best in that exam than any of the others. Marks are quite close together in history, which could make all the difference.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.