The Student Room Group

Is Law the most highly regarded non - STEM subject degree?

Is Law the most highly regarded non - STEM subject degree by companies? Of course like all degrees it should be from a reasonably reputable university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zigglr
Is Law the most highly regarded non - STEM subject degree by companies? Of course like all degrees it should be from a reasonably reputable university

Highly regarded for what?

Employers are looking for good people with the right skills for the job at hand. If a specific degree subject isn't required then any degree can be acceptable.

Do a course you enjoy and will do well at, not because it's "reputable".

By the way...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zigglr

What does this even mean? 'Highly Regarded' by whom? Artists? Plumbers? Shop workers?
Using what metrics? I don't understand the question...
No. Econimcs is. Only a minority of us have the gifted mind to grasp the subtitles of the subject. That is why financial firms pay top dollar for those students.
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
No. Econimcs is. Only a minority of us have the gifted mind to grasp the subtitles of the subject. That is why financial firms pay top dollar for those students.

'Econimics'....
Original post by Reality Check
'Econimics'....

The new branch of economics in a post-fact, post-truth world.
Original post by Blue_Cow
The new branch of economics in a post-fact, post-truth world.

haha - the demise of experts, and their attention to detail has led to econimics.
'Econimics'....

'Subtitles'...
Reply 9
Original post by Cubone-r
'Subtitles'...

Subtotals. That's what economics is, isn't it?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Subtotals

LOL
Reply 11
LOL

See my edit. Hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol I kind of get what you mean but as said above, a law degree will be useless if you're applying to be a joiner or something. You must get over the idea of some degrees being more respectable than others, of course some are harder in difficulty but they all have their unique strengths which appeal to different students and different employers.

To answer your question anyway, Law is probably up there along with Economics (unless you include that in Maths, I personally don't) when looking for something highly regarded and non-stem
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom

It requires neither intelligence nor hard work. It's just your average degree for public-schooled wannabe bankers.
Original post by Doonesbury
See my edit. Hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know you're wasted on TSR...
Many people I knew in Economics class in school couldn't grasp it or found it too much of a headache. Then again, these were not the brightest of people.

I'd say that it is more of a mind-f*** than other non-stem subjects. Which are more straightforward.
(edited 6 years ago)
What does this even mean? 'Highly Regarded' by whom? Artists? Plumbers? Shop workers?

This. I have images of security guards with regardometers scanning all incoming visitors to make sure they reach the threshold.
Original post by 999tigger
This. I have images of security guards with regardometers scanning all incoming visitors to make sure they reach the threshold.

LOL - I think we need TSR-branded 'regardometers'. If it's not Russell Group, a buzzer goes off...
Not many people are aware that law is a dirt cheap subject to teach. It's totally a 'chalk and talk' subject that requires no expensive laboratory facilities for practical work, and thanks to technology like CD-ROMs and the BAILII website there is no longer the requirement for shelf after shelf of paper law reports like in the past. The low teaching costs of law combined with high popular demand has resulted in an explosion in the number of universities teaching law over the past 20 or so years. The result of this is that law departments do vary in quality, and worst, some are not highly rated by employers (because they are new?) even though the quality of the knowledge taught can be high.

http://www.bailii.org/
Original post by Arran90
Not many people are aware that law is a dirt cheap subject to teach. It's totally a 'chalk and talk' subject that requires no expensive laboratory facilities for practical work, and thanks to technology like CD-ROMs and the BAILII website there is no longer the requirement for shelf after shelf of paper law reports like in the past. The low teaching costs of law combined with high popular demand has resulted in an explosion in the number of universities teaching law over the past 20 or so years. The result of this is that law departments do vary in quality, and worst, some are not highly rated by employers (because they are new?) even though the quality of the knowledge taught can be high.

http://www.bailii.org/

You can only get official transcripts on bailii though, so you need an expensive subscription to proper law reporting journals. But, yeah, good point- I wish that law was treated like medicine in the sense that only top universities could teach it. There are too many universities who will let anyone do law as long as they are not completely retarded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending