The Student Room Group

I hate my retail job :(

I've only been there for 3 weeks and i feel like im dying. I have social anxiety and so I took this job not for the money but to actually step out of my comfort zone and improve my people skills.

Before my job, I used to speak to people or groups of people (that arent my friends) for about 5 minutes max -- anymore and i would feel just tired

This job forces me to interact with so many people which should help my anxiety but **** me I feel like its making me worse!

I still dont know my coworkers but when i try to get to know them they kindve push me away which pisses me off

The people monotoring me are also forcing me to sell extra things but thats not something im great with. What makes this job even harder is that a lot of the customers are *****y!! Example being - a customer complained at me how the store only has a certain type of layout - **** off, what am i supposed to do about that!

Also the man who hired me during the interview was all happy and cheerful when i met him. But when i was 3 minutes late (was helping my sibling go to some summer school) the ******* manager looked so pissed off and grumpy and miserable -- misleading persona or what

I dont really care about the money, ive lived off minimally most of my life -- what should I do :frown:
Reply 1
I think we're the same person lmao except I'm only 1 week in, I'm trying to make it to 3/4 weeks (well done for making it that far) to see if things improve but I feel crap rn and dread it everyday :frown: It's hard to leave a job once you're in cos the decision is so tough but my plan is to leave and try to get a different type of job that doesn't involve as much customer service bc I cannot cope tbh and I feel weak for it but at the end of the day, do what's best for you and your health
Quit as you don't need the job anyway
Reply 3
Original post by Luluroo
I think we're the same person lmao except I'm only 1 week in, I'm trying to make it to 3/4 weeks (well done for making it that far) to see if things improve but I feel crap rn and dread it everyday :frown: It's hard to leave a job once you're in cos the decision is so tough but my plan is to leave and try to get a different type of job that doesn't involve as much customer service bc I cannot cope tbh and I feel weak for it but at the end of the day, do what's best for you and your health

Its nice to have found someone similar :smile:

I wanna quit too but the manager seems so dicky that im too scared to leave - i have a feeling that they would just have a rant at me or something

Yh getting a new job would be good - ill be moving away in a few of weeks for uni so im not sure if there would be any point of a new job
Original post by Anonymous
I've only been there for 3 weeks and i feel like im dying. I have social anxiety and so I took this job not for the money but to actually step out of my comfort zone and improve my people skills.

Before my job, I used to speak to people or groups of people (that arent my friends) for about 5 minutes max -- anymore and i would feel just tired

This job forces me to interact with so many people which should help my anxiety but **** me I feel like its making me worse!

I still dont know my coworkers but when i try to get to know them they kindve push me away which pisses me off

The people monotoring me are also forcing me to sell extra things but thats not something im great with. What makes this job even harder is that a lot of the customers are *****y!! Example being - a customer complained at me how the store only has a certain type of layout - **** off, what am i supposed to do about that!

Also the man who hired me during the interview was all happy and cheerful when i met him. But when i was 3 minutes late (was helping my sibling go to some summer school) the ******* manager looked so pissed off and grumpy and miserable -- misleading persona or what

I dont really care about the money, ive lived off minimally most of my life -- what should I do :frown:

i didnt read your post because i dont think theres any point whining

there is only one solution to this: quit your job
Reply 5
Original post by NobleLeather
Quit as you don't need the job anyway

I wanna quit too but the manager seems so dicky that im too scared to leave - i have a feeling that they would just have a rant at me or something

It's gonna have a toll on my confidence as well :redface:

It's gonna have a toll on my confidence as well :redface:

Take someone with you when you tell him or call him or let someone call him to inform him that you're not going to work anymore
Reply 7
Honest and boring advice. Stick at it.
I started my job last October, and it took me about 6 weeks to properly settle in. Once you're settled in, everything becomes a lot easier.
Keep going and good luck!
Reply 8
Its nice to have found someone similar :smile:

Yh getting a new job would be good - ill be moving away in a few of weeks for uni so im not sure if there would be any point of a new job

There's your excuse then, say you have to leave because you've found out you're moving away for uni and that's that! They can't do anything. If they decide to rant at you then just leave. Then you can try to get a new job in something more suited for you in a new place :smile:
I'm like you I'm soo nervous when it comes to people. I quit my job at McDonald's after one day (pls no one judge) be proud of yourself for going weeks. I'm terrifed to get another job but my family is going on that I need to bring in money. I swear I wish my teenage years were better. The only advice I can give is think what's best for yourself as it's clearly bringing you down.
Your manager can't do anything if you leave, he can rant and rave but you can literally just walk away. You'll find another job, don't worry, maybe you should focus on your studies considering you're starting them soon? Well done on getting a job to help your social anxiety too, I used to suffer quite badly with it so know how difficult it can be to cope :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending