The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a conditional offer of AAA to study economics at Nottingham but I feel like I got ABB maybe AAB if I'm really lucky. What do you think my chances are of getting in?

my friend got A*(maths)A(chem)B(economics) and got accepted... they did however swap courses in the end though
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have a conditional offer of AAA to study economics at Nottingham but I feel like I got ABB maybe AAB if I'm really lucky. What do you think my chances are of getting in?

ABB is very unlikely to mean you get in.
they accept equivalent grades and lower grades for non- competitive courses but economics is very popular ...
Reply 3

Nobody can tell you.

Unis can take some people who miss their offer - but they can't take everyone, as it depends how many places they have left over after accepting everyone who met their offer. This will vary from year to year. This means that if someone was accepted last year, you might be rejected this year even with better grades. It can also happen the other way around.

Additionally, applicants aren't equal. Someone else may have more work experience, extenuating circumstances, a better reference, a killer personal statement etc. Grades aren't the only thing used when deciding who to accept. This means that someone might be accepted with lower grades if they have something to make up for it.
Original post by Juno
Nobody can tell you.

Unis can take some people who miss their offer - but they can't take everyone, as it depends how many places they have left over after accepting everyone who met their offer. This will vary from year to year. This means that if someone was accepted last year, you might be rejected this year even with better grades. It can also happen the other way around.

Additionally, applicants aren't equal. Someone else may have more work experience, extenuating circumstances, a better reference, a killer personal statement etc. Grades aren't the only thing used when deciding who to accept. This means that someone might be accepted with lower grades if they have something to make up for it.

Yeah I guess I've just got to accept I didn't get in to Nottingham. Thanks for the advice though.
Reply 5
Christ alive aren't they lenient, I got BBD in my A Levels and they just accepted me for an AAB course (English and Philosophy).
I am of course gutted that I got these grades because I was expecting much better, but I'm pleased I managed to get into a prestigious university anyway and I know these grades will be a distant memory in a year's time.
Original post by Loopy91
Christ alive aren't they lenient, I got BBD in my A Levels and they just accepted me for an AAB course (English and Philosophy).
I am of course gutted that I got these grades because I was expecting much better, but I'm pleased I managed to get into a prestigious university anyway and I know these grades will be a distant memory in a year's time.

It depends on their course. I know last year they didnt accept me and I was 2 grade below. If the course is not completely full they will let those in that are somewhat close but if it's over sub, then they will make it very strict.
Reply 7
Original post by PSYA4F215Resit
It depends on their course. I know last year they didnt accept me and I was 2 grade below. If the course is not completely full they will let those in that are somewhat close but if it's over sub, then they will make it very strict.

What course was it and what grades did you achieve?
Original post by Loopy91
What course was it and what grades did you achieve?

Foundation year engineering, I got BCC and they want BBB. They didn't budge at all. I retook and got my BBB this year, so it's all good but it really depends on the course. Stuff like medicine I highly doubt they lower unless they really like the person.
Reply 9
Original post by PSYA4F215Resit
Foundation year engineering, I got BCC and they want BBB. They didn't budge at all. I retook and got my BBB this year, so it's all good but it really depends on the course. Stuff like medicine I highly doubt they lower unless they really like the person.

Ahh fair enough. My course was probably very under subscribed then.
Original post by Loopy91
Ahh fair enough. My course was probably very under subscribed then.

It probably wasn't unless it was in clearing. Or they maybe just liked your PS a lot and decided to offer you a place! Gratz nonetheless!
Original post by fefssdf
my friend got A*(maths)A(chem)B(economics) and got accepted... they did however swap courses in the end though

how did they manage to swap courses and what course did they end up studying
Original post by Taehyungxoxogg
how did they manage to swap courses and what course did they end up studying

This thread is 4 years old, a lot has changed the last couple years & the op is likely long gone, meaning this case is not going to be reliable information anymore

Latest

Trending

Trending