What do you think of my school's new sixth form dress code? Watch

icy_typhoon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm going into Year 13 this September and the new headteacher at my (all-girls) school appears to have decided that our 'smart casual' wasn't strict enough.

This is our new dress code:

Spoiler:
Show

Dress code (from September 2017)

- A tailored jacket or blazer, plain in design, must be worn at all times (unless permission is given by a member of staff to remove it)
- A smart skirt (no more than 2 inches above the knee), business like dress or tailored, smart trousers, all of which must be plain in design. - - -- Where trousers are worn, these should be at least ankle-length and not skinny fit. Denim or leggings are not permitted.
- A smart blouse or top. These should be free from logo or slogan, and cover the shoulders and midriff completely. If a jumper is worn, this must be smart, fine-knit, plain and worn under the blazer.
- Shoes must be smart and of a dark colour, closed in (both toe and heel) and appropriate for school. Lace-up boots are not appropriate for school.
- If worn, tights should be dark or natural coloured and plain in pattern. ------ Hair should be of a natural colour and make up and jewellery should be appropriate for school. Note that facial piercings are not permitted. Up to two small piercings in each ear are permitted.
- Lanyards must be worn at all times and should be school-issued only. ----- Coats should be in lockers during the school day and must not be made from leather or denim.
- Where an item of religious clothing is worn, this should be plain in design, and in the case of an abaya should still be worn under a tailored jacket or blazer.

The final decision as to the appropriateness of a student’s appearance rests with the Head of Year and then the Director of Sixth Form.

Do you think these rules are reasonable or a waste of students' time?
luckystars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
she expecting you to be office workers or what??
lmaooome
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
boi I feel sorry for you this is basically uniform but with a "work" vibe

we don't even have a dress code so I'm rlly happy except for wearing rlly revealing clothes bc thats too "distracting"
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seems reasonable.

We pretty much had that at our sixth form (mixed sex). So girls had to wear what your school listed (apart from the religious clothing of course), and boys had to wear a suit, tie, shirt, etc.
WutJob..
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What rubbish. Wearing smart clothes is a burden for everyone except for the school.
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
in the case of an abaya should still be worn under a tailored jacket or blazer.
I can imagine this being a tad controversial. Just a tad, of course.
bloated_utopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
waste of time. ur there to learn not imitate desk jockeys.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
PRSOM
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
tbh it is a good idea for VI formers to wear office-stylee gear... they will all end up as office slaves workers afterwards.
s4b3rt00th
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you want to know what my sixth form's dress code is?

Spoiler:
Show

Wear whatever the **** you want within reason. E.g. don't come in with only your knickers on.

Yes, your sixth form's dress code is very unreasonable compared to mine.
icy_typhoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by luckystars)
she expecting you to be office workers or what??
it's actually a man lol but exactly it's stupid...they say they're preparing us for the world of work or whatever but in reality many workplaces don't require clothes like this. i'm applying for dentistry and I sure as hell wouldn't be wearing this stuff to work
(Original post by lmaooome)
boi I feel sorry for you this is basically uniform but with a "work" vibe
lmao thanks ;; lowkey wish they'd just introduced a uniform instead
we don't even have a dress code so I'm rlly happy except for wearing rlly revealing clothes bc thats too "distracting"
lucky! what i don't understand is the fact that bare legs or tights are allowed but not skinny fit trousers
(Original post by _gcx)
lol how come? i'm a muslim girl myself and i don't see anything controversial about it
Ed5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's ridiculous! If I'm understanding "tailored" right isn't that going to put some pressure on students from less wealthy families?
lmaooome
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by icy_typhoon)
it's actually a man lol but exactly it's stupid...they say they're preparing us for the world of work or whatever but in reality many workplaces don't require clothes like this. i'm applying for dentistry and I sure as hell wouldn't be wearing this stuff to work

lucky! what i don't understand is the fact that bare legs or tights are allowed but not skinny fit trousers

lol how come? i'm a muslim girl myself and i don't see anything controversial about it
is your school quite posh or a private or grammar school if it is I understand bc thy need to represent themselves as "smart" in comparison to other colleges n sixth forms etc.
icy_typhoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ed5)
That's ridiculous! If I'm understanding "tailored" right isn't that going to put some pressure on students from less wealthy families?
nah not quite, i think they mean jackets in a blazer style
s4b3rt00th
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
in uni, you don't have a dress code and almost everyone goes to university after finishing a-levels nowadays. not having a dress code would prepare you for uni life, which most people will go to, whereas not everyone will go to same career paths as one another that requires that sort of dress code - no?

just saying.
luckystars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, pretty bs excuse. You don't need to dress like you're going to an interview for 2 years to know what to wear for a real one.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you go to a Sixth Form sponsored by Oxbridge?
icy_typhoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by lmaooome)
is your school quite posh or a private or grammar school if it is I understand bc thy need to represent themselves as "smart" in comparison to other colleges n sixth forms etc.
it's a grammar school yeah but sometimes it feels like i'm at st. trinians instead... they tried to ban muck-up day this year but the year 13s put up loads of posters with teacher-related jokes on them so the senior leaders were running around with walkie-talkies like "they're putting up more posters in x corridor!" DURING LESSONS. their priorities are are all backwards, they seem to care about reputation and how they look on the surface far more than the quality of teaching etc in some places.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So I'm going into Year 13 this September and the new headteacher at my (all-girls) school appears to have decided that our 'smart casual' wasn't strict enough.

This is our new dress code:

Spoiler:
Show

Dress code (from September 2017)

- A tailored jacket or blazer, plain in design, must be worn at all times (unless permission is given by a member of staff to remove it)
- A smart skirt (no more than 2 inches above the knee), business like dress or tailored, smart trousers, all of which must be plain in design. - - -- Where trousers are worn, these should be at least ankle-length and not skinny fit. Denim or leggings are not permitted.
- A smart blouse or top. These should be free from logo or slogan, and cover the shoulders and midriff completely. If a jumper is worn, this must be smart, fine-knit, plain and worn under the blazer.
- Shoes must be smart and of a dark colour, closed in (both toe and heel) and appropriate for school. Lace-up boots are not appropriate for school.
- If worn, tights should be dark or natural coloured and plain in pattern. ------ Hair should be of a natural colour and make up and jewellery should be appropriate for school. Note that facial piercings are not permitted. Up to two small piercings in each ear are permitted.
- Lanyards must be worn at all times and should be school-issued only. ----- Coats should be in lockers during the school day and must not be made from leather or denim.
- Where an item of religious clothing is worn, this should be plain in design, and in the case of an abaya should still be worn under a tailored jacket or blazer.

The final decision as to the appropriateness of a student’s appearance rests with the Head of Year and then the Director of Sixth Form.

Do you think these rules are reasonable or a waste of students' time?
So you have to wear school uniform -type clothes for another couple of years. Ex cordum tu sanguinat.

That said I'm not sure about religious clothing - does that include any items of jewelry? For the last few years I've worn a Byzantine cross signet ring, and someimes wear a saint's medallion, and if asked to take them off because off any "dress code" I'd simply leave wherever asked me.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"Hair should be of a natural colour and make up and jewellery should be appropriate for school. Note that facial piercings are not permitted. Up to two small piercings in each ear are permitted." is the part that I don't really understand. Not really fair at all to dictate how someone colours their hair, pierces their face or wears makeup.

My school went from completely casual > trousers & a purple jumper > full academy uniform with blazer & tie. Even in year 11, when the changes were in full force, I was allowed to have my hair bright pink and wear fake eyelashes (don't worry, the days of wearing fake eyelashes daily are over). I imagine it's different now they've been an academy for a few years, but I honestly don't see why it should be of their concern. People dye their hair, wear makeup & jewellery in the real world. Secondary school is about expressing yourself and experimenting with new styles and fashions - this shouldn't be suppressed IMO.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (183)
23.86%
Pop (187)
24.38%
Jazz (30)
3.91%
Classical (46)
6%
Hip-Hop (144)
18.77%