username3470042
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay, so I want to do an EPQ this coming year and I want to base it on science and the LGBT+ community, but I'm not really sure how to link the two together.

Any ideas???
I was kinda thinking about the lgbt community in STEM or the treatment and progression of lgbt people in science, but I'm not really sure whether I'll find much online about that, or whether I'll be able to write the whole essay on it.
s4b3rt00th
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some topic titles you could do...

Gender dysphoria.
Gender is not on a spectrum.
Sexuality being fluid.

The last two are very interesting.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unfortunately there isn't a great deal of data on LGBT persons in STEM areas - it's not really seen as a major initiative unlike e.g. women in STEM. There definitely is a discrepancy and it's quite disheartening, from personal experience. You could compare the LGBT initiatives in STEM to other initiatives to increase minority representation in STEM, but again, data is a limitation.

Possibly you could do a case study on a specific LGBT figure in STEM - I'm not really sure if this is an appropriate style for an EPQ though. Also many LGBT people in STEM are in "glass closets" where they aren't closeted but they also aren't really spreading it around that they're LGBT - which is a shame as you get the lack of representation for young LGBT people looking to go into STEM. So it may be hard finding someone to actually base it on, unless you know them otherwise or they're one of a handful who are not only open about being LGBT but actively state it and promote that fact in order to inspire others.
username3470042
Rep:
?
(Original post by s4b3rt00th)
Some topic titles you could do...

Gender dysphoria.
Gender is not on a spectrum.
Sexuality being fluid.

The last two are very interesting.
Thank you for the suggestions!
username3470042
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Unfortunately there isn't a great deal of data on LGBT persons in STEM areas - it's not really seen as a major initiative unlike e.g. women in STEM. There definitely is a discrepancy and it's quite disheartening, from personal experience. You could compare the LGBT initiatives in STEM to other initiatives to increase minority representation in STEM, but again, data is a limitation.

Possibly you could do a case study on a specific LGBT figure in STEM - I'm not really sure if this is an appropriate style for an EPQ though. Also many LGBT people in STEM are in "glass closets" where they aren't closeted but they also aren't really spreading it around that they're LGBT - which is a shame as you get the lack of representation for young LGBT people looking to go into STEM. So it may be hard finding someone to actually base it on, unless you know them otherwise or they're one of a handful who are not only open about being LGBT but actively state it and promote that fact in order to inspire others.
Ah okay, thank you for the help!
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sp long as you can find reputable sources, you should be OK. The first page of a simple google search turns up pieces in the New Scientist and in Nature no less - which suggests there should be enough good information out there to make a reasonable EPQ.
username3470042
Rep:
?
(Original post by OxFossil)
Sp long as you can find reputable sources, you should be OK. The first page of a simple google search turns up pieces in the New Scientist and in Nature no less - which suggests there should be enough good information out there to make a reasonable EPQ.
I did see the New Scientist article, I just wasn't sure whether there would be many more articles that were similar. Thanks for your help!
OxFossil
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mae_is_confused)
I did see the New Scientist article, I just wasn't sure whether there would be many more articles that were similar. Thanks for your help!
I don't want to give the impression that I know what I am talking about when it comes to EPQs (I don't). But the last reference in the NS article takes you to another NS article about how to promote gender diversity in science. There's a quote in the Nature piece that says, “I worry that there is a vast pool of talent that might be being lost to science,” which is almost precisely the same issue that encouraging more women to succeed in science is trying to address. Would a logical approach for an EPQ be (pace the NS gender article) to ask, "LGBTQ people in science: how can we plug the leaking pipeline?" - and to see how far the issues are the same?? Just a thought.
username3470042
Rep:
?
(Original post by OxFossil)
I don't want to give the impression that I know what I am talking about when it comes to EPQs (I don't). But the last reference in the NS article takes you to another NS article about how to promote gender diversity in science. There's a quote in the Nature piece that says, “I worry that there is a vast pool of talent that might be being lost to science,” which is almost precisely the same issue that encouraging more women to succeed in science is trying to address. Would a logical approach for an EPQ be (pace the NS gender article) to ask, "LGBTQ people in science: how can we plug the leaking pipeline?" - and to see how far the issues are the same?? Just a thought.
That's a really good idea, thanks!
OxFossil
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mae_is_confused)
That's a really good idea, thanks!
Well, let's be honest - that's where your OP started from, isn't it, so it was your idea really!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed