Pintsize21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm taking Computer Science for GCSEs but am really struggling with programming. Does anyone know what we are meant to do for the NEAs? Are we supposed to know how to create a website or just type up code? I'm really confused and would appreciate it if anyone knows what I should be learning for it.

Thanks...by the way, I'm doing Python
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought OCR gives you two programming scenarios for your NEAs and you had to code a solution for the two scenarios based on the tasks listed? Has your teacher not given you the two tasks yet? I was helping out a GCSE class last year with their OCR NEAs and the code required wasn't too difficult.

I'd have hoped that your teacher would have also at least taught you some Python programming skills to get you up and running, but if they haven't, check out these websites:

https://pythonschool.net/
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python

Good luck.
Pintsize21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
I thought OCR gives you two programming scenarios for your NEAs and you had to code a solution for the two scenarios based on the tasks listed? Has your teacher not given you the two tasks yet? I was helping out a GCSE class last year with their OCR NEAs and the code required wasn't too difficult.

I'd have hoped that your teacher would have also at least taught you some Python programming skills to get you up and running, but if they haven't, check out these websites:

https://pythonschool.net/
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python

Good luck.
Thanks @Blue_Cow , unfortunately, my teacher hasn't taught me Python yet (I am in yr 11 in September). Do you know when we are told the tasks?- beginning of yr11 and if that is when we are told them, are those the ones for the actual GCSEs or just the mock? Thanks again!
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Pintsize21)
Thanks @Blue_Cow , unfortunately, my teacher hasn't taught me Python yet (I am in yr 11 in September). Do you know when we are told the tasks?- beginning of yr11 and if that is when we are told them, are those the ones for the actual GCSEs or just the mock? Thanks again!
I double checked the dates, and Ofqual (government body for regulating examinations) has asked all exam boards to impose additional controls on when to release the NEAs. This means your teacher will only get them on Sept 1st. You should get the tasks first thing back if your teacher is organized, hopefully!
Pintsize21
Rep:
?
I double checked the dates, and Ofqual (government body for regulating examinations) has asked all exam boards to impose additional controls on when to release the NEAs. This means your teacher will only get them on Sept 1st. You should get the tasks first thing back if your teacher is organized, hopefully!
Thank you so much! Just one more question...what is the most advanced thing we must learn for GCSE level programming?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much! Just one more question...what is the most advanced thing we must learn for GCSE level programming?
The most complex thing I did at GCSE was doing GUI with Tkinter, but I'm fairly sure that was optional, so probably loops and arrays?
Pintsize21
Rep:
?
Name:  download.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  6.9 KB
The most complex thing I did at GCSE was doing GUI with Tkinter, but I'm fairly sure that was optional, so probably loops and arrays?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name:  download.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  6.9 KB
Appreciated

Good luck with everything!
Uranium Potato
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The the most complex thing I did at GCSE was doing GUI with Tkinter, but I'm fairly sure that was optional, so probably loops and arrays?
Yooo, that's nothing, I had to learn fricking regular expressions, hard affffff, still got 89/90 combined (y10 +11) for the course works tho by the good grace of God, so I'm fine.
s4b3rt00th
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thinking is the hardest part.

What's NEAs?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Uranium Potato)
Yooo, that's nothing, I had to learn fricking regular expressions, hard affffff, still got 89/90 combined (y10 +11) for the course works tho by the good grace of God, so I'm fine.
Your average GCSE CS student does not need to learn or use regex.

Out of curiosity, why did you have to do regex anyway?
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The basics of RegEx are simple 😂
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by s4b3rt00th)

What's NEAs?
Non exam assessments. Coursework pretty much.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
The basics of RegEx are simple 😂
Let the guy bathe in his moment of glory, or I'm sure his god will smite us down seeing he seems so obsessed about it.
Pintsize21
Rep:
?
(Original post by s4b3rt00th)

What's NEAs?
NEA- non- exam assessment and I agree, thinking is very difficult
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Let the guy bathe in his moment of glory, or I'm sure his god will smite us down seeing he seems so obsessed about it.
Hahaha, savage
Pintsize21
Rep:
?
You did so well! Would you like to share any tips?
username3320302
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm taking Computer Science for GCSEs but am really struggling with programming. Does anyone know what we are meant to do for the NEAs? Are we supposed to know how to create a website or just type up code? I'm really confused and would appreciate it if anyone knows what I should be learning for it.

Thanks...by the way, I'm doing Python
At my school we are doing Visual Basic not python
Pintsize21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ex-pert)
At my school we are doing Visual Basic not python
I've heard of visual basic but my school has always preferred Python. What do you think of it?
username3320302
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've heard of visual basic but my school has always preferred Python. What do you think of it?
There is a website called udemy where they have plenty of coding courses it costs a lot of money but currently they have a sale where all courses are only £10
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads