What do you think of the new GCSEs?

Watch
luna99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Do you think it's harder? I think the fact we have less resources is annoying but I'm not finding it too difficult
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The content is fine for the most part, but you can tell the examiners want to f*ck you up when you're in the exam hall.

I only did the English and maths 9-1. Sat my GCSEs this year.
BaQPaQ
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well considering that most of our gcse's will now be in exam format no more coursework its stressful. Knowing that what you know and write in that exam hall can determine your future, thats pretty scary.
ReadilySalted
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, I'm annoyed but not at the same time. I'm annoyed because I'm doing my GCSE's next year (going into year 11) and now all of my subjects cover the new GCSE's standard and we don't have a lot of resources and the stupid exam board wouldn't show us what type of thing we need to get a specific grade but i'm not annoyed as well that we have got the grade boundaries of the 2017 exams for maths and english and we will get an insight on what we need to do, I understand that the grade boundaries change ever year but we have some resources to tell us what we need in order to get a grade.
itslibby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by luna99)
Do you think it's harder? I think the fact we have less resources is annoying but I'm not finding it too difficult
I did the new 9-1 maths and English this year and I think that they were a lot harder than the previous exams, especially the maths. Can't comment on the other subjects though
livgotlost
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I enter year 11 in September so am doing all new spec courses. I sat GCSE RS (OCR B) in May and June and found past papers was the best way to revise. However sitting everything new spec, it gives us very few resources to use - I had to wait months for appropriate revision guides to be released and the resources we do have (for example my maths textbook) is riddled with errors.
The fact that we don't know what the top grades look like (with the exception of English and Maths to an extent) is frustrating, and I pray the grade boundaries will compensate for the confusion and lack of information given by exam boards.
username3454012
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm going into year 11. When I look at our specs compared to the old one there's definitely a lot more concepts to understand, and a lot more application questions rather than just regurgitating facts. I wouldn't say they're 'harder', but that the questions are asked in a different way so you need to understand the material you learn instead of just memorising it. I think it's a bit stupid we had to wait for ages for resources to get published and for our teachers to be ready for the new things they had to teach, but I guess it's quite an advantage because it should be better preparation for A-Levels. I will say though that the grade boundaries are so confusing. They don't really have equivalences and there calculated using the average student marks across the country, with the top 20% (I think) of grade 8 students receiving a 9. Very frustrating not actually knowing my current grade because I don't know which subjects to focus more on or whether I'm actually achieving as exceptionally as everyone says. Plus the exam board textbooks are full of errors!
username3454012
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry for grammatical and spelling errors, trying to type in a rush
kaitroxxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm going into year 11 I find the new 9-1 GCSEs are good and bad. I find coursework stresses me out so not having that is a good thing. However, it does put more stress on our "on the day" exam results - which I don't necessarily think is fair. There are all so fewer resources which is annoying. Plus we don't know the grade boundaries - I think the real tell tale will be when the current Y11 get their results
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (694)
33.82%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.1%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed