The Student Room Group

Should I study pharmacy? - a guide

There are a fair few comments here stating “DON’T DO PHARMACY” which I’m not sure is that helpful. I hope the below is a little more useful for prospective pharmacists.

Step 1: Will you enjoy the job?

I think this is by far the most important question over pay etc. No amount of pay will compensate for a job you don't enjoy. Thankfully, it’s also by far the easiest to answer. Do some work experience in community or hospital pharmacy. You’ll be able to understand c.80% of what the role involves.

There is a definite answer to this question and only you can answer it. Consider other people’s opinions but don’t adopt them blindly.

If you enjoy the job, go to step 2. If not, go to step 3.

Step 2: What are career prospects like?

This is a more difficult question to answer and will require research. There is no definite answer to this question and you’ll need to use your own judgement. Remember you are having to make a judgement of the jobs market in 4/5 years time.

Some of my own thoughts for you to consider (or ignore):
- There are more pharmacists qualifying each year than there are new pharmacist roles being created. The result is an increasing pharmacist:roles ratio leading to higher levels of competition for jobs.
- At the moment, jobs are easier to find in less desirable locations. Are you willing to start your career in what you might find to be an uninspiring location if required? Also consider you will be in your 20s.
- A lot of pharmacists like to say supply and demand makes it inevitable that salaries will decrease. I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that, but I reach the same conclusion given that pharmacy payment is based on supply (i.e. items dispensed). There is little/no possibility for ‘x’ pharmacist to add greater value than ‘y’ pharmacist to justify a higher salary.
- It is unlikely this will change any time soon despite the push for services (i.e. pharmacists being paid for providing advice). Explaining why would require a post of its own.
- Hospital is largely protected from pay concerns through the Agenda for Change pay scale which you can google

If you think you'll enjoy pharmacy and are not concerned about increasing competition (always room for the best, right?) then you can stop here. Otherwise go to step 3.

Step 3: If not a pharmacy career, what should you do instead?

This a question often ignored by the ‘not pharmacy’ crowd.

Either:
a) Research all your career options and pick a degree that better suits what you want to do
b) Admit you have no idea and pick the course you’re most likely to enjoy at the best university you can get into to keep your options open

The key point to make is either option might lead you to still studying a pharmacy degree. I think the course is genuinely interesting if you’re interested in the sciences. It is generally viewed as academically rigorous. You do not have to become a pharmacist after completing a pharmacy degree. Do not get stuck in this mindset. Remember that the vast majority of disciplines do not lead to a vocation (e.g. history, maths, politics).

It's also true that the vast majority of graduate schemes at the largest employers will accept applicants from any discipline. This is true for accountancy, banking, oil/gas, law etc. etc. The competition will be even higher than in pharmacy though but at least with pharmacy you have a fall-back option which is undoubtedly of some value. The competition means while at university you have to ensure you take part in extracurricular activities (e.g. president of a society) and summer internships.

Good luck.
Many thanks for this, really appreciate it. Where are you working at the moment if you don't mind me asking? E.g. hospital, community, company etc.
Original post by expharmas
There are a fair few comments here stating “DON’T DO PHARMACY” which I’m not sure is that helpful. I hope the below is a little more useful for prospective pharmacists.

I think this is by far the most important question over pay etc. No amount of pay will compensate for a job you don't enjoy. Thankfully, it’s also by far the easiest to answer. Do some work experience in community or hospital pharmacy. You’ll be able to understand c.80% of what the role involves.

There is a definite answer to this question and only you can answer it. Consider other people’s opinions but don’t adopt them blindly.

This is a more difficult question to answer and will require research. There is no definite answer to this question and you’ll need to use your own judgement. Remember you are having to make a judgement of the jobs market in 4/5 years time.

- There are more pharmacists qualifying each year than there are new pharmacist roles being created. The result is an increasing pharmacist:roles ratio leading to higher levels of competition for jobs.
- At the moment, jobs are easier to find in less desirable locations. Are you willing to start your career in what you might find to be an uninspiring location if required? Also consider you will be in your 20s.
- A lot of pharmacists like to say supply and demand makes it inevitable that salaries will decrease. I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that, but I reach the same conclusion given that pharmacy payment is based on supply (i.e. items dispensed). There is little/no possibility for ‘x’ pharmacist to add greater value than ‘y’ pharmacist to justify a higher salary.
- It is unlikely this will change any time soon despite the push for services (i.e. pharmacists being paid for providing advice). Explaining why would require a post of its own.
- Hospital is largely protected from pay concerns through the Agenda for Change pay scale which you can google

If you think you'll enjoy pharmacy and are not concerned about increasing competition (always room for the best, right?) then you can stop here. Otherwise go to step 3.

Either:
a) Research all your career options and pick a degree that better suits what you want to do
b) Admit you have no idea and pick the course you’re most likely to enjoy at the best university you can get into to keep your options open

The key point to make is either option might lead you to still studying a pharmacy degree. I think the course is genuinely interesting if you’re interested in the sciences. It is generally viewed as academically rigorous. You do not have to become a pharmacist after completing a pharmacy degree. Do not get stuck in this mindset. Remember that the vast majority of disciplines do not lead to a vocation (e.g. history, maths, politics).

It's also true that the vast majority of graduate schemes at the largest employers will accept applicants from any discipline. This is true for accountancy, banking, oil/gas, law etc. etc. The competition will be even higher than in pharmacy though but at least with pharmacy you have a fall-back option which is undoubtedly of some value. The competition means while at university you have to ensure you take part in extracurricular activities (e.g. president of a society) and summer internships.

Good luck.

A good honest analysis !
But I would still urge caution!
Birmingham have said they will be in Clearing already.
Now think how many Medicine places in Clearing? zero!
Go back nearly 30 yrs and you were lucky if Leicester and Sunderland Polys were in clearing.
Yes, it's a good interesting degree, but I think if you're not going to practice you are better looking at areas that you do actually want to work in, as stated, e.g. the oil industry, law, banking, etc.
Qualified community pharmacist here ready to answer any questions or PMs. But remember, I tend to err on the side of, I probably wouldn't pick pharmacy these days, with too many graduates and the government cuts.

Be cautious of CLEARING. Do not fall for the Pharmacy School banter!! They only want bums on seats and £36k.
Remember, they are a business now! The Vice-chancellors are on more than Theresa May (150k). The average VC salary is anything between 200 and 500k !

DO your own research! go and talk to pharmacists in boots and lloyds and tesco, etc Do not pick it simply as 'something to do' Take a Gap Year instead and think. 36k is a lot of money !

Do NOT pick pharmacy to please your PARENTS! or because you couldn't get into Medicine. Many people do pharmacy for one of those 2 reasons and end up regretting it !

Good luck everyone and best wishes for your future careers, where ever that may be.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by expharmas

Either:

Good luck.

Great article with insight. There are a couple more things I should add on however. The fall back option is only really the case if you do a pre-registration training year a year within 8 years of starting your degree. Also regarding the current job market, there have been major cuts which are set to see pharmacies lose ~30% of their funding which on turn will see more pharmacies (up to 3/11) close down in the next 2 years. Otherwise agree with your article
Reply 4
Original post by purple.cat
Many thanks for this, really appreciate it. Where are you working at the moment if you don't mind me asking? E.g. hospital, community, company etc.

I no longer work in pharmacy.

Original post by crazy.chemist
Yes, it's a good interesting degree, but I think if you're not going to practice you are better looking at areas that you do actually want to work in, as stated, e.g. the oil industry, law, banking, etc. ... 36k is a lot of money !

Thanks but as stated, the degree you study isn't very important to get into any of those sectors apart from a few technical jobs (e.g. engineering) so a pharmacy degree is as good as any other. The annual High Fliers Graduate market report is a good place to start reading.

The £36k (or any other figure) is misleading. The better question to ask is whether you're willing to pay 9% of what you earn above £21k for 30 years. This will be true whatever degree you study.

Original post by quasa
Great article with insight. There are a couple more things I should add on however. The fall back option is only really the case if you do a pre-registration training year a year within 8 years of starting your degree. Also regarding the current job market, there have been major cuts which are set to see pharmacies lose ~30% of their funding which on turn will see more pharmacies (up to 3/11) close down in the next 2 years. Otherwise agree with your article

Thanks. Good point about the 8 year time limit. Most people should know if they plan to use pharmacy as a fall-back in that time.

I think the impact of the cuts is difficult to judge. The number of pharmacists required is most closely related to the number of items dispensed every year and that number is only increasing. More productivity is probably going to be expected from pharmacists but the overall number of pharmacists required is still likely to increase, albeit at a slower rate than it otherwise would have (assuming current operating model persists).
Reply 5
Hi i am also thinking of studying pharmacy because I did sciences when i was in high school but i don't want to work as a pharmacist. I would prefer working in a company . Should I just do finance? True though studying pharmacist has a fall back.

Quick Reply

Latest