Did flash cards help you? Watch

username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am self studying for an exam just working through a text book then typing notes up on OneNote then transfering those notes to Quizlet. Do you find flash cards to be a good revision method?

username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes but my use was pretty limited - English lit quotes and geography case studies and that's about it.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I find making them more useful than using them. Although they are really good for some topics like case studies and coastal landforms in Geography. I practiced them while walking to school a the days before my geography exam.

For History I found them useful for remembee Civil Rights legislation but essay plans and quizes were better.

English- very good for quotes + context

Politics- did not need flash cards
Sternumator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't like flash cards.

I think it is revision method for low achievers. If you are going to do well on an exam, remembering the main points should come easy. You shouldn't need cards to remember the main points. To do well, you don't just need the main points. You need the detail too.
JordLndr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Different revision strategies work for different people.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, I used them right through until now, going into my final year.I achieve very well and it's whatever suits the individual best.
username3016746
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Sternumator)

I think it is revision method for low achievers. If you are going to do well on an exam, remembering the main points should come easy. You shouldn't need cards to remember the main points. To do well, you don't just need the main points. You need the detail too.
Theres always one person chatting absolute ****.
username3280668
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah for a small amount of content such as quotes or maths equations, but if it's something complicated then other methods like mind maps or summarising is better. Past papers is king of revision techniques though.
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. I tried to learn using flashcards and I failed almost as much as I failed when my teacher made us try a 'hands-on' approach (the kinesthetic learning style).

Most of the time, I end up writing too much on the flashcards, resulting in them looking very sloppy and disorganised, which does not help at all.

Different techniques work for different people and I am not one of those who can study using flashcards.

I will just stick to writing summary notes and reading everything over and over again.
Harley's_Queen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I used a range of techniques for my subjects. I mean the flash cards helped condense the main points for English Language for me and scenes for plays for Lit and theories and case studies for Media for my 1st year to get 3 A's and continued in 2nd year, but I learn best by memory and explaining to people. In this case, flash cards made it easier for the person testing me to understand and get the points across.

As the others mentioned, it is literally down to you want you like but maybe try a range of techniques to see what you like best šŸ˜Š
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I use flash cards (even at university, studying biology) because they help me to break down long or complex topics.

e.g for Mitosis, I would do one card for each phase, with bullet points on the back summarising that phase.

Other people use flash cards just to remember key words and definitions, but I usually write long notes on the back of them.

I find them much more useful than mind maps (which I think are really messy and confusing). Flash cards are a good way for me to separate the clutter and see each sub topic individually.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Got Milk)
I am self studying for an exam just working through a text book then typing notes up on OneNote then transfering those notes to Quizlet. Do you find flash cards to be a good revision method?
Looks like a great efford for preparation. In most cases, simple cue cards are sufficient. If you want, you may add some self-drawn sketches on the front site.
adachoi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have tried several ways to learn new words and sentences and I must say that flash cards are by far the most effective tools. I know that some people do not like flash cards and I do respect that because we are all different but Iā€™m sure that they work very well for a great number of people. Many famous polyglots around the worlds do use this system (and recommend it) to quickly learn useful words and phrases. I too learned the Hebrew language by the flash cards that I had purchased from Carddia.com.
University of Hertfordshire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Flashcards are also really useful for when you're out and about and got some time to spare, for example reading through them on the train etc.
niteninja1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Flash cards are really good for learning little snippets of information in a rush. I think the best way to do them is to put a question on one side and a short answer on the other.

Quizlet really PPPPs me off sometimes because I can't always remember what I've written letter for letter. If you have those questions where you have to write in the answer, it's so infuriating when you write the correct answer and it marks it as wrong just because you didn't put "the" at the start.
OwlOfFire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Personally flash cards didn't work for me
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
While other people seem to find them reasonably useful, I've never seen the appeal. I tried to use them in French but to little success.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sternumator)

They're quite popular with medics and pharmacology students. Not sure whether you'd categorise them as 'low achievers'...

(Original post by Got Milk)
Yes, I find them very useful for factual information that requires rote learning. The obvious use here is in science, with biochemistry, chemistry etc for definitions/quantities/microbiological examples. They're not just limited for STEM subjects, but it's probably fair to say they have a greater use there than in more discursive subjects just due to the type of learning.

The other big use for them is, of course, in languages.
bloated_utopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
for gcse flash cards were great
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (369)
67.21%
No (180)
32.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed