Nettled
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
^^ as the title mentions

I'm a bit confused on what the answer is. Initially, thoguht it was about it being branched but then that falls under it's structure.
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nettled)
^^ as the title mentions

I'm a bit confused on what the answer is. Initially, thoguht it was about it being branched but then that falls under it's structure.

The structure is key to its function(In Biology,often structure and function are closely related).
Glycogen is an energy source because it is the stored form of glucose,which is used in cellular respiration to produce ATP,which is used as an energy source .
Being branched is key because a branched structure has lots of end of chains
https://rlv.zcache.com/glycogen_stru..._8byvr_324.jpg

The enzyme that hydrolyses glycogen always start from an end chain,and you loads of these as you can see from the link compared to a straight chain molecule ,which would have few.This means glycogen can be broken down by enzymes into glucose quickly,since you would have enzymes at every end chain breaking it down.
This is quicker than an enzyme cutting off a long chain.
By the way,you may be wondering ,why is glucose stored in the form of glycogen ?
Well,glucose is soluble in water and hence blood plasma(which is mostly water),which is no good since glucose would dissolve in bodily fluids and be excreted rapidly.So it is stored in animals in the form of glycogen,which is insoluble in water .
Hope this helps .
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You're right in your thinking. Glycogen is branched, which means there is a higher surface area of ends that could be hydrolysed, thus leading to an increased rate of hydrolysis. Next, you need to look at the monosaccharides that make up glycogen and consider that more of these monosaccharides can be produced from a branched glycogen molecule. With that in mind, think about the question again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads