Revising and remembering Science GCSE

Watch
livgotlost
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
After my mocks at the end of this year I noticed that Science (especially Physics) is my weakest subject. I am predicted an 8 but I got a 4 in my Physics mock.
Over the summer I need to try and remedy this before we cover new content in September.
I plan on using videos to reteach myself the content using GCSEpod and Primrose kitten (on YouTube) as well as my revision guide, as these will give me an understanding of the concepts.
How do you actually remember the content?! How to you revise Science as a whole?!
ray44
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by livgotlost)
Hi,
After my mocks at the end of this year I noticed that Science (especially Physics) is my weakest subject. I am predicted an 8 but I got a 4 in my Physics mock.
Over the summer I need to try and remedy this before we cover new content in September.
I plan on using videos to reteach myself the content using GCSEpod and Primrose kitten (on YouTube) as well as my revision guide, as these will give me an understanding of the concepts.
How do you actually remember the content?! How to you revise Science as a whole?!
I'm in the same year as you and physics is one of my favourite subjects. I have a few tips that will help you understand science better. The best way to familiarise yourself with the content is by doing past papers, and then using a mark scheme or a worked solutions video online. These are especially helpful, as they go into detail with how to solve each question. If you don't understand something, search it online or use your textbook to brush up on it. The only problem i see is that because it is a new spec there is a lack of material for it, but for the most part the tests are very similar so it should be alright. Also look through the examiner's report for each exam so you can see where other students went wrong and you can make sure you don't go wrong either. For Chemistry, i would say do the same thing pretty much, however it will be harder to revise only from past papers so maybe spend a bit more time reading through textbooks for it. For biology, there is not very much math involved so the best way to revise that is probably notes or flash cards or something like that.All 3 sciences are pretty much doable if you just practise a lot. Good luck
BlueHighlighter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One thing that helped me (sitting the exam this year) was flash cards. Try using flash cards to remember certain definitions, or maybe even equations. Have someone test you on said flash cards. They are an easy way to remember little details that could be the difference between a grade.

Also, try mind maps. My teacher used to say "try to write things from your books in as little words possible". Try writing what you do know, and then in a different colour, write the things in that you had to look in the book for. In time, you'll notice that one of the colours (hopefully the book colour) will become used less often.
livgotlost
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueHighlighter)
One thing that helped me (sitting the exam this year) was flash cards. Try using flash cards to remember certain definitions, or maybe even equations. Have someone test you on said flash cards. They are an easy way to remember little details that could be the difference between a grade.

Also, try mind maps. My teacher used to say "try to write things from your books in as little words possible". Try writing what you do know, and then in a different colour, write the things in that you had to look in the book for. In time, you'll notice that one of the colours (hopefully the book colour) will become used less often.
(Original post by ray44)
I'm in the same year as you and physics is one of my favourite subjects. I have a few tips that will help you understand science better. The best way to familiarise yourself with the content is by doing past papers, and then using a mark scheme or a worked solutions video online. These are especially helpful, as they go into detail with how to solve each question. If you don't understand something, search it online or use your textbook to brush up on it. The only problem i see is that because it is a new spec there is a lack of material for it, but for the most part the tests are very similar so it should be alright. Also look through the examiner's report for each exam so you can see where other students went wrong and you can make sure you don't go wrong either. For Chemistry, i would say do the same thing pretty much, however it will be harder to revise only from past papers so maybe spend a bit more time reading through textbooks for it. For biology, there is not very much math involved so the best way to revise that is probably notes or flash cards or something like that.All 3 sciences are pretty much doable if you just practise a lot. Good luck
Thank you both so much! I'll start using those methods tomorrow
Lauren3ll
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in the same year as you too, and in my mock we had a test that was mostly calculations, and remembering certain equations. Therefore I did quite well cause I mostly revised the calculations over and over and I know them off by heart now. But I would also try and revise theories too like newtons laws and things. If you remember these you should be able to apply your knowledge to other questions too. 😊
theunknown12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What exam board do you do?
livgotlost
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lauren3ll)
I'm in the same year as you too, and in my mock we had a test that was mostly calculations, and remembering certain equations. Therefore I did quite well cause I mostly revised the calculations over and over and I know them off by heart now. But I would also try and revise theories too like newtons laws and things. If you remember these you should be able to apply your knowledge to other questions too. 😊
ah thank you so much. I revised the equations best I could but unfortunately the mock paper we did was 70% knowledge and understanding whilst 30% was calculations itself.

(Original post by theunknown12)
What exam board do you do?
I do AQA Physics 9-1
BlueHighlighter
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lauren3ll)
You'll find that the Physics exams are mostly calculations. I sat the P2 exam this year, and have probably scored less that half marks due to the fact that I spent too much time learning the content and not how to use the equations, so when the exam came, I couldn't answer the calculations, and I was a solid A* Physics student. iirc, the new 9-1 spec contains much more calculations and you have to learn the equations; I struggled and they were given to us.
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You'll find that the Physics exams are mostly calculations. I sat the P2 exam this year, and have probably scored less that half marks due to the fact that I spent too much time learning the content and not how to use the equations, so when the exam came, I couldn't answer the calculations, and I was a solid A* Physics student. iirc, the new 9-1 spec contains much more calculations and you have to learn the equations; I struggled and they were given to us.
Clearly not an A* student then....
.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's a load of rubbish, it's almost all about memorising the content.
BlueHighlighter
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by langlitz)
Clearly not an A* student then....
Alright then; given I was getting consistent A*s.
BlueHighlighter
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by .( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).)
That's a load of rubbish, it's almost all about memorising the content.
Given about 50% of the paper is maths, I don't think so.
miniminx3310
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
dw im failing physics too lmao. I have an awful teacher, so my mums jsut got me a tutor for a couple of sessions i didnt get this whole year tbh (((((((((:

But for biology andf chemistry i got 8s in them this year, all i basically did was use Mygcsescience, if you can afford it i highly recommend you get it. I got it out of my bd money but its abt £50 altogether if ur yr10 like me, which seems like a lot but if you have bad science teachers (like i do this/next year) its a hell of a lot easier/cheaper than other alternatives. and cheaper than getting a tutor..

It has all the videos on for all the science specs, so what i did, i printed out these note taking pages from @smartgirlstudy -- theres a blog for it, and its under Cornell Notes I think, and took notes on all the videos this year. They're all fairly long but have a lot of info shortened and everything required...

They also have other note pags w diagrams which are useful, but the best thing is they have past papers at the end of the videos which are rly helpful!!

I then did past papers after this, and used my brothers old flashcards he made by going through 10years of science past papers (aqa is v, repetitive)

I made sure i arranged everything in a folder, but also if theres any information that rly important that you might forget like idk, the equation for ammonia, or why metal is brittle (the qu) i wrote this at the front of my folder so i could just read it everytime i start so it sticks in my head a lot.

also i went onto primrose kitten ^^ like you said, and watched the C2/B2 video before the exam..

I guess it all depe nds on how you learn as well .But my brother just did notes out of a textbook, flashcards and past papers and he got A*s in all of them. But i think im an audio ??> learner so this method works for me i guess. I thi k we're still a year away, but i treated end of year almost liek carefree mocks so i think i hae some kind of method for sciences now... i literally feel like i know the whole of C2 now like the back of my hand and will be gonig over it in the summer to keep it relivent,
livgotlost
Rep:
?
Hi,
I am predicted 8s in all sciences.
I got an 8 in Biology in my mock, a 6 in Chemistry and (as mentioned) a 4 in Physics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.36%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (72)
28.13%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (96)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.52%

Watched Threads