The Student Room Group

Forced Marriage?

So my parents want me to marry someone of the same culture and religion. Is this forced marriage?
My parents are the same - I'm guessing you're Asian - because I think it's generally Asians who do that....?
Original post by Anonymous
So my parents want me to marry someone of the same culture and religion. Is this forced marriage?

If you do not consent to it, then yes it is forced marriage, which is illegal in the UK
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you agreeing to it? It's forced if you don't agree to it.
My parents are the same I don't class it as forced as I agree to it.
I don't get why parents would force their kids into getting married tbh.
Reply 6

No, it's not. If you don't want to marry the guy/girl, say no.

It's forced if they tell to you must marry a specific person.
Reply 7
They say i can pick myself. I don't really see it as something wrong but i was just wondering if it was forced or not
If you parents have already said that you can pick yourself, then no, you are not being forced. They might be strongly encouraging you to do so, but if you've the choice, it's not forced.

It'd personally be a no from me.
Urm no how is that forced marriage?

Its only forced marriage if you say no and they get you married to them anyway. Also, they're allowing you to pick for yourself. So this is definitely not forced.
Reply 10
They say i can pick myself. I don't really see it as something wrong but i was just wondering if it was forced or not

well if you find and fall in love with someone who isn't of your culture and they "refuse" or disown you then yes that would be forced.

no offence but parents like this are ****ing idiots. let your child be happy.
Original post by Moura
well if you find and fall in love with someone who isn't of your culture and they "refuse" or disown you then yes that would be forced.

no offence but parents like this are ****ing idiots. let your child be happy.

:u: Couldn't agree more... let your kid be happy *high five*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending