Geography 'Get Ahead Thread' (Self-Teaching Thread) Summer 2017

Watch
BlueHighlighter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

Geography Get Ahead!
Since nobody else has, and given the abundance of these floating around lately, such as Math, I'm creating this for those wanting to look over the specifications for the 2017 Geography specification. Post any questions you need help with below, or just talk about the new specification? I guess.

Specifications:
OCR | Edexcel | AQA | WJEC

Useful Websites:
Cool Geography | S Cool

Let me know if there are any other good websites or youtube channels.

Please post answers to questions in spoilers so people can work them out for themselves.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BlueHighlighter)
I love this thread! I'll be hanging around here - I've just finished A Level geography and I'm interested to find out what people love/hate about the new specs!
BlueHighlighter
Rep:
?
Well, I'm sitting the OCR A Level, and I must say, I've got little qualms with the new spec. I sat WJEC last year at GCSE, which had a lot of human geography involved, with only a little bit of physical geography. So I'm glad to see that the OCR A Level spec has a lot more physical geography, but I will miss the abundance of human.

(Original post by Amefish)
...I've just finished A Level geography...
How did you find the A Level over all? Of course, it won't be the same A Level, but it's nice to see how previous years have found their respective specifications.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, I'm sitting the OCR A Level, and I must say, I've got little qualms with the new spec. I sat WJEC last year at GCSE, which had a lot of human geography involved, with only a little bit of physical geography. So I'm glad to see that the OCR A Level spec has a lot more physical geography, but I will miss the abundance of human.

How did you find the A Level over all? Of course, it won't be the same A Level, but it's nice to see how previous years have found their respective specifications.
Well, I did Edexcel and the AS year was very physical with a little bit of human geography thrown in, I think it was supposed to be a 50/50 split but it was definitely heavier on the physical side! A2 was split into two sections - a pre-release, which was about differing levels of development in the Central American isthmus, and there was a section where you could choose your topic from a list. I chose "The World of Cultural Diversity", which is very human based! I find aspects of both geographies really interesting.

I heard that the new Edexcel specification has some maths in, like statistics? I guess this is to make the A Level more of a science subject. Have you noticed if the OCR spec has much (if any) maths?
BlueHighlighter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amefish)
I heard that the new Edexcel specification has some maths in, like statistics? I guess this is to make the A Level more of a science subject. Have you noticed if the OCR spec has much (if any) maths?
I haven't noticed any so far, but that being said, I've only looked at around two topics, non of which had any Maths in them. But yes, making it a more science based subject at A Level seems like a right idea. So much of GCSE is just 'remember this', without having to figure anything out themselves. Maybe this will soften the 'Geography is easy' saying.
strivinglearner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I haven't noticed any so far, but that being said, I've only looked at around two topics, non of which had any Maths in them. But yes, making it a more science based subject at A Level seems like a right idea. So much of GCSE is just 'remember this', without having to figure anything out themselves. Maybe this will soften the 'Geography is easy' saying.
I really hope so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.05%
I'm not sure (59)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.38%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (649)
49.28%

Watched Threads