Catered vs Self-Catered at University Watch

sean9876
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay, this has been asked at least a thousand times, but now it's my turn.

Hopefully, depending on results day, I'll be going to Keele University in September and will be studying very hard and making new friends.

I can cook (-ish), I don't love it but don't particularly hate it either.
I thought the idea of being catered would be beneficial in terms of how time-consuming cooking and preparing meals can be along with actually going to supermarkets and buying things; cleaning up; plus flatmates stealing items from fridges/cupboards; as well as buying pots/pans/tableware etc.

Catered is £40 per week (I know that is a lot compared to if I was to be self-catered but is it a lot in general?) and I'd be guarenteed 2 healthy meals per day (only Mon-Fri), so I'd have to order in/go out on weekends.

What is everybody else going to be doing?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can buy groceries and cook yourself for just shy of £25. That's for the entire week.

If you eat at strange times, are a fussy eater then go self-catered or just want to save some money, then go self-catered. Cooking yourself doesn't take long. A good stir-fry takes 10 minutes max, or if you want, you can bulk cook meals for the entire week and then microwave them.

Personally, I am going self-catered. You're not going to have a personal chef with you for the rest of your life, so may as well learn to cook/refine your skills now for the future
LizzieTwoShoes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Catered wouldn't take into consideration your third meal of the day and your snacks, as well as the weekend, so realistically your gonna be spending like £60 a week on just food.

I'd go self-catered as you can feed yourself for £25 a week, and do other things or save the extra £35. Self-catered will also give you the opportunity to learn how to cook. After my first year at Uni I've learnt how to cook so many different meals, and I started the year with not even been able to cook chicken.

The only good thing I see about catered is that I'd eat healthier meals but even then you've gotta wait for certain times when it's served so I might end up snacking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dijira
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am going with self - catered because Im kind of picky eater. Not only do I not like a variety of food but I am vegetarian to boot, so it was not much of choice really. (and it was cheaper xD)
And I don;t actually think that catered mean "healthier meals". You cannot always be sure how they would prepare them, etc. and that depends on how and what you cook^^ I spend three years living in catered dorms and hated food there even though it was suppoused to be healthy... It always seemed too greasy and salty to me and meat didn't look appealing (I was not vege for first two years). I
So if you want to eat what you like and when you like, I would say - choose self- catered :>
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sean9876)

Hopefully, depending on results day, I'll be going to Keele University in September and will be studying very hard and making new friends.

I thought the idea of being catered would be beneficial in terms of how time-consuming cooking and preparing meals can be along with actually going to supermarkets and buying things; cleaning up; plus flatmates stealing items from fridges/cupboards; as well as buying pots/pans/tableware etc.

Catered is £40 per week (I know that is a lot compared to if I was to be self-catered but is it a lot in general?) and I'd be guarenteed 2 healthy meals per day (only Mon-Fri), so I'd have to order in/go out on weekends.

Self catered. I'm not a fan of cooking but I recognised the benefits of being self catered- essentially being able to eat what you want when you want.
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sean9876)

I would say go self catered it's nu he easer you will meet others people in the kitchen if you have a nice group you may even pre game (drink) and go out with them sometimes.
It is possible to eat badly in halls but with a few basic supplies you can eat quite well
Sid The Kid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Self catered because if you pay for the catered and end up disliking some of the food, you'll probably go to a fast food place and spend another sum of money there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%