esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is possibly one of the most over-hyped, underwhelming books I've ever read. Winston is a drip, flat through and through. Possibly a reflection on the society that made him that way, but even in his rebellious parts he is so one-dimensional. Hate society, love this girl, read this book, rinse and repeat. For 100 pages it's a book about a book. It was such a chore to finish.

I understand the role of it in today's world, but people are so quick to jump to "poLICE STATE 1984!!1!" for every news piece, which doesn't come close to reality unless you're North Korean.

This isn't a comment on Orwell himself - Down and Out in Paris and London and Animal Farm are two of my favourite novels, but 1984 is just...bland. Brave New World by Huxley - Orwells mentor - is a much better and more realistic view, in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?
GaelicBolshevik
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by esralled)
Is possibly one of the most over-hyped, underwhelming books I've ever read. Winston is a drip, flat through and through. Possibly a reflection on the society that made him that way, but even in his rebellious parts he is so one-dimensional. Hate society, love this girl, read this book, rinse and repeat. For 100 pages it's a book about a book. It was such a chore to finish.

I understand the role of it in today's world, but people are so quick to jump to "poLICE STATE 1984!!1!" for every news piece, which doesn't come close to reality unless you're North Korean.

This isn't a comment on Orwell himself - Down and Out in Paris and London and Animal Farm are two of my favourite novels, but 1984 is just...bland. Brave New World by Huxley - Orwells mentor - is a much better and more realistic view, in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?
1984 is a decent book but I find Orwell rather lacking in flair, so I don't find his books very gripping. 1984 is one of his better novels, I'd say.

If you like some of his work, I'd recommend Homage to Catalonia. I thought it was just 600 pages of him *****ing about the cold and how ill-equipped them and the guns are.
mikasaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed