chickengoujon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay so the entry requirements for A-Levels for Psychology is as follows:
Standard academic entry requirements: AAA. Minimum academic entry requirements: ABB. Other mandatory requirements: ALL applicants must have A-level OR AS level OR GCSE Mathematics at B or above. BSc: Two A-level subjects from Mathematics, Psychology or other science subjects (or Mathematics plus one science subject). MA Arts: Two A-level arts, humanities or language subjects. MA SocSci: Two A-level arts, humanities or language subjects.
Does this mean that I need maths a-level to even stand a chance? I'm so confused!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by chickengoujon)
Okay so the entry requirements for A-Levels for Psychology is as follows:
Standard academic entry requirements: AAA. Minimum academic entry requirements: ABB. Other mandatory requirements: ALL applicants must have A-level OR AS level OR GCSE Mathematics at B or above. BSc: Two A-level subjects from Mathematics, Psychology or other science subjects (or Mathematics plus one science subject). MA Arts: Two A-level arts, humanities or language subjects. MA SocSci: Two A-level arts, humanities or language subjects.
Does this mean that I need maths a-level to even stand a chance? I'm so confused!
Nope it means there are 4 courses.

For all of them you need GCSE or GCE Maths.

For the BSC you need A level maths and a science or 2 science subjects or psyhcology and another science.

There are 2 additional MA's which just require arts and humanities subjects. It doesnt confirm whether these are one year courses or longer, sometimes they can be four, but id suspect the content of them is very different to the BSC which will be more scientific. Just call them and ask.
chickengoujon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Nope it means there are 4 courses.

For all of them you need GCSE or GCE Maths.

For the BSC you need A level maths and a science or 2 science subjects or psyhcology and another science.

There are 2 additional MA's which just require arts and humanities subjects. It doesnt confirm whether these are one year courses or longer, sometimes they can be four, but id suspect the content of them is very different to the BSC which will be more scientific. Just call them and ask.
Thank you!
So for the BSc you're saying you need A-level maths or do you mean:
• need A level maths and a science OR 2 science subjects OR psyhcology and another science
• need A level maths (with either a science/2 sciences/ psychology + another science) - aka. need maths

Would Chemistry, psychology + geography be okay? (They count geo as a science)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by chickengoujon)
Thank you!
So for the BSc you're saying you need A-level maths or do you mean:
• need A level maths and a science OR 2 science subjects OR psyhcology and another science
• need A level maths (with either a science/2 sciences/ psychology + another science) - aka. need maths

Would Chemistry, psychology + geography be okay? (They count geo as a science)
Break it down:

1. There is a Maths hurdle. You need A level or AS or GCSE (95%+ uni students do) .
Presumably you have at least GCSE?
2. Then there is a science criteria, which requires two, but Psychology counts as one as well. You have Psychology and Chemistry so you pass that hurdle.

That means you pass both hurdles and meet the criteria.
emcat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
It doesnt confirm whether these are one year courses or longer, sometimes they can be four, but id suspect the content of them is very different to the BSC which will be more scientific. Just call them and ask.
The only difference between the courses is the other subjects you take around it. Glasgow requires you to take usually three subjects in your first and second year (I think this is reduced to two in your second year for psychology, but I'm not certain) and if you do the BSc you'll need to take courses mostly in the College of Science & Engineering, and the MAs mean you'll have to take courses mostly in the College of Social Sciences or College of Arts depending on which route you go down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (22)
6.21%
Uncertainty around my education (38)
10.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (41)
11.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.56%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.52%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.45%
Financial worries (25)
7.06%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.82%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.34%

Watched Threads