The Student Room Group

Should I get a Fitbit?

I've been thinking about getting a Fitbit for a while now, but I'm hesitant for a couple of reasons. I had a cheap one off eBay a couple of months ago, but gave up on it because it was counting my arm movements (e.g. Typing, brushing me hair and eating etc). I gave up on it for this reason, I'm just concerned about weather i will have a similar problem with a Fitbit? I'm also not sure weather to buy a Fitbit flex and then if I like it in a years time buy the charge or just buy the charge straight away? Have you got any positive and negatives that might help me make my decision?

Thanks in advance 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by WhitlockE
I've been thinking about getting a Fitbit for a while now, but I'm hesitant for a couple of reasons. I had a cheap one off eBay a couple of months ago, but gave up on it because it was counting my arm movements (e.g. Typing, brushing me hair and eating etc). I gave up on it for this reason, I'm just concerned about weather a will have a similar problem with a Fitbit? I'm also not sure weather to buy a Fitbit flex and then if I like it in a years time or so buy the charge or just buy the charge straight away? Have you got any positive and negatives that might help me make my decision?

Thanks in advance 😊

Moved to health

The Fitbit will count your arm movements too.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Moved to health

The Fitbit will count your arm movements too.

A fitbit is very difficult to cheat, even putting it on a dog doesn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie
A fitbit is very difficult to cheat, even putting it on a dog doesn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Didn't realise that about the dog!

My dad has a cheap wrist based step counter thing and his also counts steps when he he moves his arms.
My girlfriend has one, they are fairly decent.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Really? Didn't realise that about the dog!

My dad has a cheap wrist based step counter thing and his also counts steps when he he moves his arms.

I don't know how the fitbit works but it really does only count human steps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks for your replies so far. If I did fit it over/under counting steps, would it be big enough to put around my ankle?
Original post by WhitlockE
Thanks for your replies so far. If I did fit it over/under counting steps, would it be big enough to put around my ankle?

Mine easily fits around my ankle (never worn it there before, but I just checked), but it depends on the difference in size between your wrist and ankle, as well as which hole you have the buckle thing on. Mine is on the 3rd hole on my wrist and the 9th on my ankle.

I'm not sure about the Charge 2 (the current Charge available from the FitBit website), but I absolutely would NOT recommend the Charge HR. I received a replacement after mine broke after 4 months, and then the replacement broke too (I had to use superglue to get the strap back on).

I would be far more likely to recommend the Blaze, which is about £20 more than the Charge 2, I seem to recall, but has more features and replaceable/changeable straps, so the strap breaking won't be an issue. However, the Blaze is larger than the Charge 2 so it may not be to everyone's tastes.
I had 2 Charge HRs and had problems with the straps. Ditto the Surge. I now have the One.

Quick Reply

Latest