Gabriela.K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I want to study medicine in the future and I would like some advice as to which subject combination I should choose, and by that I mean which subject combination would be the easiest to get high marks in? (38+) I will definitely be taking HL bio and chem and SL Math but I´m not sure what to combine them with.

1. HL BIO CHEM PSYCH
SL MATH ENGLISH A SPANISH/ FRENCH B

2. HL BIO CHEM FRENCH B
SL MATH ENGLISH A PSYCH

3. HL BIO CHEM ENGLISH A
SL MATH SPANISH B PSYCH
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gabriela.K)
So I want to study medicine in the future and I would like some advice as to which subject combination I should choose, and by that I mean which subject combination would be the easiest to get high marks in? (38+) I will definitely be taking HL bio and chem and SL Math but I´m not sure what to combine them with.

1. HL BIO CHEM PSYCH

2. HL BIO CHEM FRENCH B
SL MATH ENGLISH A PSYCH

3. HL BIO CHEM ENGLISH A
SL MATH SPANISH B PSYCH
Can't you do A levels? IB is not ideal for medicine imho.
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Can't you do A levels? IB is not ideal for medicine imho.
I was thinking about it but I'm not from the UK and the schools which offer A levels in my area are very expensive + because of the brexit, I'm not sure if student loans will be available for EU students for 2019 entry, so, even if I could afford the schools which offer A levels, taking them would be quite risky since they're not recognised in some countries I plan on applying to, whereas the IB is recognised.
Wor18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

1. HL BIO CHEM PSYCH

2. HL BIO CHEM FRENCH B
SL MATH ENGLISH A PSYCH

3. HL BIO CHEM ENGLISH A
SL MATH SPANISH B PSYCH
Hi! Well done on choosing the IB: it will definitely help you when applying to a med school (conversely to what most ppl say) since you'll have soo many things to brag on (CAS, all your IAs that you can focus on med-related stuff) - good for you.

Moving on to your question: out of these, I'm pretty sure Psychology would be the hardest. I'll be DP2 student from Sept and some of my friends are doing it - unless you're really enjoying it, psych HL can be a nightmare (psych itself can be a disappointment, but that's my personal view so don't bother too much)

English A - Literature, or Language and Literature? It makes a huge difference. If Lang&lit, that would be accessible. I'd generally ill-advise non-native speakers to do 'pure' Literature HL, especially if it's meant to be the easier HL.

The thing about language B largely depends on your prior comprehension, so you have to answer yourself if you're able to do some literature that Language B HL students do - and that's basically the only difference (plus, slightly more challanging oral exam). Have a look at past papers and decide.

Also, find DP subject briefs from the official IB website.

Hope that helps
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wor18)
Hi! Well done on choosing the IB: it will definitely help you when applying to a med school (conversely to what most ppl say) since you'll have soo many things to brag on (CAS, all your IAs that you can focus on med-related stuff) - good for you.

Moving on to your question: out of these, I'm pretty sure Psychology would be the hardest. I'll be DP2 student from Sept and some of my friends are doing it - unless you're really enjoying it, psych HL can be a nightmare (psych itself can be a disappointment, but that's my personal view so don't bother too much)

English A - Literature, or Language and Literature? It makes a huge difference. If Lang&lit, that would be accessible. I'd generally ill-advise non-native speakers to do 'pure' Literature HL, especially if it's meant to be the easier HL.

The thing about language B largely depends on your prior comprehension, so you have to answer yourself if you're able to do some literature that Language B HL students do - and that's basically the only difference (plus, slightly more challanging oral exam). Have a look at past papers and decide.

Also, find DP subject briefs from the official IB website.

Hope that helps
Thank you! And yes it helped but I just want to point out that it´s hard to find past papers online
Wor18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you! And yes it helped but I just want to point out that it´s hard to find past papers online
There's a large thread sticked to the top of this forum called Questionbanks/Past Papers, you will definetly find something there. Good luck
LibertySea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
eNow looking back on the IB, I should have done your option #2 (but I would choose econ instead of psych out of personal preference).

Bio and Chem HL are dense, so a language B will lighten up your HL work load.
I would definitely do English A Language and Literature since I found it to be so much fun and more accessible than just English Lit.

hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else!

cemsimon x
(HLs: Chemistry, Biology, Maths/SLs: Economics, Spanish B, English A Lang&Lit)
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wor18)
There's a large thread sticked to the top of this forum called Questionbanks/Past Papers, you will definetly find something there. Good luck
Okay, thanks!
Gabriela.K
Rep:
?
(Original post by cemsimon)
eNow looking back on the IB, I should have done your option #2 (but I would choose econ instead of psych out of personal preference).

Bio and Chem HL are dense, so a language B will lighten up your HL work load.
I would definitely do English A Language and Literature since I found it to be so much fun and more accessible than just English Lit.

hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else!

cemsimon x
(HLs: Chemistry, Biology, Maths/SLs: Economics, Spanish B, English A Lang&Lit)
Thank you! Helped a lot
And if you don't mind me asking, which subject did you find to be the most challenging for you?
LibertySea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you! Helped a lot
And if you don't mind me asking, which subject did you find to be the most challenging for you?
For me it was definitely maths HL. But out of your subjects, my friends said that psych was difficult because it is also very content dense.
If you study really well, then you should be fine.
Sailin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My third HL subject is just what feels the easiest to me, which is Eng B, which also serves as a language qualification since I'm too lazy to take IELTS.

Maths SL is super easy, but Maths HL can be really difficult. I'd say choose something you like and doesn't require lots of work and time, since you'll need to do voluntary work / shadowing, and that can take up quite some time (on top of your other activities). You'll also need time to master bio and chem, which pays back when you're too busy and just don't have enough time before exams lol.

IB humanities can be quite demanding, but I enjoy them a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads