The Student Room Group

How to Find Work Experience

Bello,

I was wondering if you can give me some guidance to find WE. All I have on my CV is a very casual week's unpaid WE at a hedge fund. This year every time I applied to Summer Internships I always got rejected :frown: probably because of a lack of WE. (PWc told me this). My dad makes me send my CV to a lot of companies, yet I never get a response. Now that I have my summer holidays I am trying to prioritise work experience over anything. I want to go into Investment Banking, Hedge Funds, or Asset management to steal from the rich and give to the poor. I have good grades, only A*s and As. I got a First in my first two years at University as well, yet the lack of Work Experience is killing me. Let me know how you guys got WE placements

Any help will be appreciated :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Maybe @usualsuspects can help you.
Also do a Google search on how to gain a banking placement etc.
Reply 2
Original post by AQuestion1
Maybe @usualsuspects can help you.
Also do a Google search on how to gain a banking placement etc.

"steal from the rich and give to the poor"?! Won't help this guy :biggrin:.

You don't have "A very casual week's unpaid WE at a hedge fund", you have been [summer?] intern at a Hedge Fund with #bn AUM in [month].

Write your CV in a way that shows dates in month/year instead of also including days.

Original post by JIMBO789
Let me know how you guys got WE placements

Connections.

You are too late, should have thought about getting something for this summer back in april.
Jimbo, here is some actually helpful advice. (:rolleyes:)
There are also insight days and shadowing programs at firms, try to apply to that.
Apart from that, outline on your CV extracurriculars that may be related or just demonstrate high achievement in them. For that and work experience, demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills which are actually taught in many part-time jobs. Do you have the option of volunteering?
Start working hard and researching and I'm sure you can find something.
Reply 4
There are also insight days and shadowing programs at firms, try to apply to that.
Apart from that, outline on your CV extracurriculars that may be related or just demonstrate high achievement in them. For that and work experience, demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills which are actually taught in many part-time jobs. Do you have the option of volunteering?

My advice was good too.
Original post by usualsuspects
My advice was good too.

Which begs the question, is there anything you're not good at?
Reply 6
Which begs the question, is there anything you're not good at?

Finding something I'm not good at. Have been thinking hard.

Joking. I'm bad with everything trivial because I exist on a higher plane.
Finding something I'm not good at. Have been thinking hard.

Joking. I'm bad with everything trivial because I exist on a higher plane.

Higher than who?
What is "trivial" in your mind? Cooking?
Reply 8
Higher than who?
What is "trivial" in your mind? Cooking?

Sure. Also driving, remembering dates, carrying things, etc. I can't put any thought or attention into that.
Sure. Also driving, remembering dates, carrying things, etc. I can't put any thought or attention into that.

Yup, mostly basic (except driving) but if you don't do them, I don't know how well you will do away from parents.
Reply 10
Yup, mostly basic (except driving) but if you don't do them, I don't know how well you will do away from parents.

I'm at uni. Taxis, eating out, cleaners... but in general I have to accept the fact and the consequences.
Reply 11

Hey thanks for actually trying to help. My university doesn't have good volunteering positions but does have a lot of them. And yes I'm doing things such as reading and online courses, I get quite busy with my course at university to commit to extra curricular things. Similarly for insight days they were during my exam revision period hence I missed out on them :/
Thanks again for your advice and I wish you the very best.
Reply 12
"steal from the rich and give to the poor"?! Won't help this guy :biggrin:.

You don't have "A very casual week's unpaid WE at a hedge fund", you have been [summer?] intern at a Hedge Fund with #bn AUM in [month].

Write your CV in a way that shows dates in month/year instead of also including days.

Connections.

You are too late, should have thought about getting something for this summer back in april.

I did try to apply to many places, earlier.
My mother is a teacher so she doesn't know anybody in finance.

Quick Reply

Latest