The Student Room Group

To soon to get engaged?

So me and my partner are both 20, and have been together for 7 months.
We have been best friends for 8 years and decided to finally get together (after wanting to for many years) in december 2016. We have both wanted this for a long time but i personally thought we were very young (age 14) when he asked me on a date originally and not wanting to ruin an amazing friendship by dating when we werent mature i turned him down, now older and more mature we decided To give things a go.
Things have been going great, we knew eachother so well before we starting dating and because of this we got comfortable with eachother in our relationship a couple of months in. We are genuinly very compatible and i have never met somebody quite like him (in a great way).
Recently we have spoken about the future, we are currently saving to move in together because we want to have a bit of money aside just in case we run into financial troubles.
More recently we have had a chat about the future and have thought about wanted to get engaged in the future. To me this is an important part of a relationship due to the meaning of marriage, and my partner has said he would very much like this next step to happen in the not so distant future.
My worry is what people are going to say. I know my family would be very supportive but I worry people are going to judge us if we make this bug choice at 8/9months in. Has anybody gone through something similar or could give me some advice based on my situation?
Am i ready to be engaged at 20, yes I truly am, i feel very ready and I genuinly can see myself and my partner living a happy life together as we have the same ambitions for the future. So what should be stopping me from making this decision? Am i just to worried about being judged?
Any advice would be useful.
Original post by Anonymous
So me and my partner are both 20, and have been together for 7 months.
We have been best friends for 8 years and decided to finally get together (after wanting to for many years) in december 2016. We have both wanted this for a long time but i personally thought we were very young (age 14) when he asked me on a date originally and not wanting to ruin an amazing friendship by dating when we werent mature i turned him down, now older and more mature we decided To give things a go.
Things have been going great, we knew eachother so well before we starting dating and because of this we got comfortable with eachother in our relationship a couple of months in. We are genuinly very compatible and i have never met somebody quite like him (in a great way).
Recently we have spoken about the future, we are currently saving to move in together because we want to have a bit of money aside just in case we run into financial troubles.
More recently we have had a chat about the future and have thought about wanted to get engaged in the future. To me this is an important part of a relationship due to the meaning of marriage, and my partner has said he would very much like this next step to happen in the not so distant future.
My worry is what people are going to say. I know my family would be very supportive but I worry people are going to judge us if we make this bug choice at 8/9months in. Has anybody gone through something similar or could give me some advice based on my situation?
Am i ready to be engaged at 20, yes I truly am, i feel very ready and I genuinly can see myself and my partner living a happy life together as we have the same ambitions for the future. So what should be stopping me from making this decision? Am i just to worried about being judged?
Any advice would be useful.

Dont worry about peoples opinion, its yours that matters.

If you think you are ready then go for it, some people its right for and you can always spend a few years engaged as well.

Personally Id get married much later when you know more about yourself, but if its what you both want, think it through and are willing to hive it a go, then go for it. Some people get married young and it works perfectly find and others it falls apart, just work out whether you are both ready for everything it involves.
I'll start by saying I have absolutely no expertise or experience to do with this, just thought I'd give my opinion. Normally, I'd think 7 months was too short a relationship to think about marriage, however you've known each other for so long that I think it does change things. Maybe you should wait until you've moved in together for a couple of months; you might find you don't get on well in the same house, keep arguing etc. etc. After that you'll have a clearer view of what married life will be like. If you still want to get married I say go for it, after moving in you'll have been together for about a year and many couples get married after that long (I'm not saying I agree with that btw but just a point), never mind the fact you've actually been close for years. Good luck for the future and I hope everything works out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending