The Student Room Group

In 30 yrs what will 'old people' say that's inappropriate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by summer1311
And sizeism/weightism is a way more complex issue than 'accepting obesity', I encourage you to read around the topic

http://www.empowher.com/mental-health/content/sizeismweightism-how-cope-it-and-how-it-affects-mental-health
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/26/weightism-discrimination-a-perfect-14_n_5218316.html

I would consider most things which encourage acceptance and discourage discrimination to be progress.

We shouldn't encourage unhealthy lifestyles, just like we shouldn't encourage people to take illicit drugs.

You can't be fat and healthy, the added weight may not be affecting your organs (yet) but the added weight will be destroying load bearing joints such as knees.
Reply 21
'Hello'

People be like 'who gave you the right to greet me?!!!!'
Well gender is a construct that society has developed anyway, it's just that people who identify as genders other than 'woman' or 'man' are becoming more mainstream.

And sizeism/weightism is a way more complex issue than 'accepting obesity', I encourage you to read around the topic

http://www.empowher.com/mental-health/content/sizeismweightism-how-cope-it-and-how-it-affects-mental-health
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/26/weightism-discrimination-a-perfect-14_n_5218316.html

I would consider most things which encourage acceptance and discourage discrimination to be progress.

OK then, you can take the blame when all the fatties die of heart attacks at 35.
With the political correctness going nuts right now and not looking to stop moving in that direction, saying things like 'I'm proud to be English' will likely be deemed racist or ultranationalism by that time.

I'd personally stop nobody from saying that, though.
Everyone seems very focussed on labelling still - do you think that will still be the inappropriate thing, or do you think it will be something else entirely like the suggestion that eating animals and the treatment of animals could be the 'thing' we all gasp at our parents saying.

What about privacy? Will that become an obsolete notion?

Will apps like Tinder and Grindr change people's views of dating and sex?

Let's go bigger on this!
Original post by harrythomas14
With the political correctness going nuts right now and not looking to stop moving in that direction, saying things like 'I'm proud to be English' will likely be deemed racist or ultranationalism by that time.

I'd personally stop nobody from saying that, though.

It felt like we were moving to a more joined up world until events of the last year where many people have rejected that.

I wonder which direction it will end up.
Original post by Captain Jack
Everyone seems very focussed on labelling still - do you think that will still be the inappropriate thing, or do you think it will be something else entirely like the suggestion that eating animals and the treatment of animals could be the 'thing' we all gasp at our parents saying.

What about privacy? Will that become an obsolete notion?

Will apps like Tinder and Grindr change people's views of dating and sex?

Let's go bigger on this!

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a massive reduction in actual human interaction.

Just walk into an city bar and pub and look how many people are on their phones rather than talking to who ever they are with. It is depressing.

Part of the reason my favourite bar is in a basement with no signal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Back in my day we used to spit raps on a student forum.."
Original post by Meany Pie
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a massive reduction in actual human interaction.

Just walk into an city bar and pub and look how many people are on their phones rather than talking to who ever they are with. It is depressing.

Part of the reason my favourite bar is in a basement with no signal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I can see that happening too.

Potentially it could go the other way too where people reject tech. Like television, radio, sport etc, perhaps people will realise that platforms like Facebook are just a way for the upper classes to distract the masses and stop them from seizing their assets.

Perhaps also people will realise that internet tech has meant employers get a lot more out of employees, reducing staff costs. When really it should have passed on the time saving and efficiencies to the staff.
'Brexit was a good idea'
I think that the gender will be more fluid and non-binary identities more mainstream, so phrases and terms related to that will be less accepted

I also think (and hope) that insults which are ableist will be wholly outdated by then, as well as language surrounding sizeism

whats sizeism
Yeah, I can see that happening too.

Potentially it could go the other way too where people reject tech. Like television, radio, sport etc, perhaps people will realise that platforms like Facebook are just a way for the upper classes to distract the masses and stop them from seizing their assets.

Perhaps also people will realise that internet tech has meant employers get a lot more out of employees, reducing staff costs. When really it should have passed on the time saving and efficiencies to the staff.

I doubt it will go the other way for the majority, the problem is already too wide spread.

Small companies might, but large ones don't see staff as humans, just productivity enablers. That isn't going to change any time soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fewer

:spank:
Reply 33
in 30 years you won't be able to call a black man black or a white man white anymore , it will be thought of as offensive and not politically correct

if you want to call a black man black you will have to say: "a #000000 man" which is the hex number code for black ...in order not to cause deep public offense....
Well gender is a construct that society has developed anyway, it's just that people who identify as genders other than 'woman' or 'man' are becoming more mainstream.

Ah, you're one of 'those' people, if I had a hand for every gender that exists...
"Trump was right to start world war 3, I'm glad he got voted president of the world"
You mean fat people?

* people of size :rolleyes:
I have to admit I was struggling with how to word it! I knew what I meant lol ... I was thinking of grandparent generation really, so when you are a parent and they are a grandparent who 'can't change their views'.

I think you're right, but just islam?

Hmm, there were - remember in the early 80s being gay was still taboo, racism was still in mainstream TV shows, there was lots of sexism. Quite a lot has changed.

Not really, its changed its form.

For example even now violence towards men is allowed as comedy, and shaming men for not being in the mood.

Yet a man acting intimidating towards a woman in a show even if accepted has people talking about how its encouraging violence towards women and if a male character is horny they shame men for having sex on the mind.

Thats whats changed, as politically incorrect as some jokes or things were in past a lot of things were done in humour, there was a banned advert from about 2008 where 2 men accidently kissed after eating same food item (like Lady And The Tramp) and then wanted to be manly.

That was taken off the air as anti gay instead of a crude joke about men wanting to be masculine.
We shouldn't encourage unhealthy lifestyles, just like we shouldn't encourage people to take illicit drugs.

You can't be fat and healthy, the added weight may not be affecting your organs (yet) but the added weight will be destroying load bearing joints such as knees.

Odd that we don't see anorexia being promoted/accepted in the same way, rather the term pro-ana is interpreted pretty much universally as negative.
Original post by citibankrec
whats sizeism

It is choosing not to buy clothes because of the entirely spurious reason that they do not fit you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending