nyeiri.g
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm in the process of editing my personal statement, and I have been looking at reading lists for English and French as I want to do a duel honours degree. Has anyone got any suggestions of books for these courses that have helped improved their personal statements?
Amme31
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi! I'm currently doing English and French at Oxford. The books I wrote about in my personal statements weren't necessarily about both subjects; I wrote about various authors and books for English (Woolf, Wilde, Calvino, Shakespeare etc.) but linked these to French texts I'd read as well by theme. I also wrote about various French poets I enjoyed- Nerval, Toulet, Van Lerberghe for example.
Slightly more generally, I included more theoretical works- Barthes, Iser and books on translation.

I think a good place to start is to think about books you've read already- I didn't read anything new for my personal statement and it's nice to remember that you already have books you can write about, as long as you write about them well and with enthusiasm. Feel free to ask any other questions.
nyeiri.g
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for your help, sadly I've changed my course but thanks again and good luck with all your studies!
(Original post by Amme31)
Hi! I'm currently doing English and French at Oxford. The books I wrote about in my personal statements weren't necessarily about both subjects; I wrote about various authors and books for English (Woolf, Wilde, Calvino, Shakespeare etc.) but linked these to French texts I'd read as well by theme. I also wrote about various French poets I enjoyed- Nerval, Toulet, Van Lerberghe for example.
Slightly more generally, I included more theoretical works- Barthes, Iser and books on translation.

I think a good place to start is to think about books you've read already- I didn't read anything new for my personal statement and it's nice to remember that you already have books you can write about, as long as you write about them well and with enthusiasm. Feel free to ask any other questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.86%
No (504)
66.14%

Watched Threads