Penny proud
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys does anyone know how to work out size of difference on SPSS I do not know if I am meant to treat this as finding the effect size or am I just describing the relationship I used cross tabulations for this question! Please help. lol I am stuggling
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not quite sure what you're asking.

Are you trying to find the difference between 2(+) variables in a t-test or ANOVA? Or the associated effect size from a test?
Penny proud
Rep:
?
Hi

I honestly don't know, basically I have been given data on SPSS it includes a number of cases, but for this question I have to look at two variables "analyse the relationship between employment status and having experience of crime in the past 12 month. Which group is most likely and which group is least likely to be a victim of crime? What is the size of the difference?" I don't know if I can use Anova because I only have SPSS so I. Am guessing I will be doing a t-test?
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Penny proud)
Hi

I honestly don't know, basically I have been given data on SPSS it includes a number of cases, but for this question I have to look at two variables "analyse the relationship between employment status and having experience of crime in the past 12 month. Which group is most likely and which group is least likely to be a victim of crime? What is the size of the difference?" I don't know if I can use Anova because I only have SPSS so I. Am guessing I will be doing a t-test?
Ok you can do a t-test between two sets of data (employment status and experience of crime) if you put them in two separate columns.

Using descriptive statistics as well as the t-test results you can answer which group is most likely to be a victim of crime by if the t-test is significant, and if so, which direction. The size of the difference I think is referring to the descriptive difference between the two means, but could mean effect size, sorry, not sure.

And just to add, SPSS can do ANOVA and much more
Penny proud
Rep:
?
You have actually helped me so much I'm so great full, which would you say is easier to see the difference anova or t-test, I think it means to work out the effect size too, is that the two means subtracted and then divided by the Standard deviation?

Also I wanted to ask if I am looking at a table on SPSS and I have a valid percent and percent Column can I write them down as percentages or do I have to type the numbers like this e.g (p < 0.1)
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have actually helped me so much I'm so great full, which would you say is easier to see the difference anova or t-test, I think it means to work out the effect size too, is that the two means subtracted and then divided by the Standard deviation?

Also I wanted to ask if I am looking at a table on SPSS and I have a valid percent and percent Column can I write them down as percentages or do I have to type the numbers like this e.g (p < 0.1)
ANOVA is essentially multiple t-tests for when there is more than two variables. So no, you don't need to use an ANOVA, and if you did, it would be the same result.

Not sure what you mean by valid percent column? But yes, you have to report the numbers in numerical form in APA standard.
Penny proud
Rep:
?
Thank you I. Am going to work on the answer tonight when I have done it could I just send it to you via email so you could check it is answered correctly please?
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you I. Am going to work on the answer tonight when I have done it could I just send it to you via email so you could check it is answered correctly please?
Yeah, PM me
Penny proud
Rep:
?
Alright thank you I will be sending this to you soon 😃
Sarah1778
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not sure if I'm wrong but isn't employment status categoric (nominal data)? So therefore it would be Chi Squared because you're testing for association?
Penny proud
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarah1778)
I'm not sure if I'm wrong but isn't employment status categoric (nominal data)? So therefore it would be Chi Squared because you're testing for association?
I could test it both ways and see what results I get? How would I do a chi squared please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (41)
22.91%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (87)
48.6%
I'm unsure (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads