Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student, and I'll be needing a mobile phone at Uni. I was looking at the tariffs, and some people have recommended O2. Trouble is that, 25 pounds/month is pretty expensive by my standards, especially since I'll be out of the UK for about 3 months a year!

Are there any cheaper plans?
    And can we use international calling cards on mobile lines? If the answer is no, can we use them from phone booths and how difficult is it to get our hands on one?

I'm getting really worried about it all.. I didn't think it'd be so expensive.

ReputationRep:
    If you do which GSM region is it based and is it SIM locked?

If yes to locked you can get it unlocked in some dodgy phone shop....

Then buy yourself a pay as you go sim card....

This should work out cheaper for you....

Hope this helps.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    I'm an international student, and I'll be needing a mobile phone at Uni. I was looking at the tariffs, and some people have recommended O2. Trouble is that, 25 pounds/month is pretty expensive by my standards, especially since I'll be out of the UK for about 3 months a year!

Are there any cheaper plans?
    And can we use international calling cards on mobile lines? If the answer is no, can we use them from phone booths and how difficult is it to get our hands on one?

I'm getting really worried about it all.. I didn't think it'd be so expensive.
    You can get contract phones for about £15 a month. I don't know about call costs, have a look at the networks' websites - the main ones are Vodafone, Orange, T Mobile and O2.

ReputationRep:
    You could try getting pay as you go. If you order a SIM card off the O2 site you can get 200 free txt messages a month.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Possibly the best thing to do would be to get a pay as you go phone (i.e. you just pay for what you use) and to get a phone card with a good rate to whichever country/countries you are going to call most often. I would imagine that calling any foreign country from a mobile phone would be pretty expensive so you're probably best to stick to using payphones and a phone card for that if you can.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. I've actually decided on Vodafone contract because I've heard that PAYG can actually get pretty expensive. Also, international calling cards can be used on these phones, which makes my life lots easier.

Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    there is a v good deal from vodafone:
    free Sony Ericsson K700i
    600 mins & 250 texts included for free
    only £15.99 per month

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/CO...cegjdgnfdffo.0

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.