UkCat Percentage Scores Watch

Rxmxi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I have just completed a few practice questions from each section and have received an overall percentage of 47%. How is this for a first attempt and what is the average percentage. I'm not sure how to convert this into points so I thought it would be best to calculate an overall percentage. Thank you
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
No one knows how to calculate it to points. There are many formulae that people use, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. A common one people seem to use is 300 + (percentage% x 600) so using that, your mark equates to a score of about 582. It's not bad for a first attempt, but obviously there is a lot of room for improvement.
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No offence but its not a great start. As said above, no one has a clue how they calculate it, I think because also the questions you get are meant to change in difficulty as you progress. As a result i dont think they are awarded equal marks anyway.

These tests are designed to test intuition and natural ability/talent, not knowledge. So theoretically practice shouldnt help you, but in reality it gets you recognising patterns, improves speed, etc. So keep practicing, and whenever you make a mistake, make sure you learn from it. People usually struggle big time on one section too, and most uni's are looking for you to do well across the board. Also try and consider....WHY are they making you do this exercise? Might help you appreciate how important it is, and give you some clues how to practice it outside of your practice time (i'll elaborate if you want)

In terms of average marks...again, difficult to answer. IIRC, its meant to be the case that the average mark is 600 (aka 50%....if you consider 300 is the lowest score and 900 the highest). So getting around 50-60% in practice questions is bare minimum if you wanna hit that score.
mxn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here's a rough guide on how it's scored but i wouldn't take the word for it too much
https://www.jobtestprep.co.uk/jobtes...core-guide.pdf
since it's a first attempt i wouldn't worry too much but nearing to the test you should be getting around 65-70% in your practice for each section
Medic Mind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It really depends on what practice questions you're doing as some will be harder than others and will have different baselines.

Was there a particular area you did weaker on that I can help you with?

Let me know

Mohil
Medic Mind
I.abida
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Guys what would you say would be the minimum UKCAT score for dentistry? I was thinking 650 is what they're looking for.
Rxmxi
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks I would appreciate it if you could elaborate slightly. I just feel like the improvement is really slow and not what you'd expect if you were doing a knowledge based test/ I'll keep trying definitely. How long would you recommend revising for if the test is in 2 weeks?

(Original post by QuentinM)
No offence but its not a great start. As said above, no one has a clue how they calculate it, I think because also the questions you get are meant to change in difficulty as you progress. As a result i dont think they are awarded equal marks anyway.

These tests are designed to test intuition and natural ability/talent, not knowledge. So theoretically practice shouldnt help you, but in reality it gets you recognising patterns, improves speed, etc. So keep practicing, and whenever you make a mistake, make sure you learn from it. People usually struggle big time on one section too, and most uni's are looking for you to do well across the board. Also try and consider....WHY are they making you do this exercise? Might help you appreciate how important it is, and give you some clues how to practice it outside of your practice time (i'll elaborate if you want)

In terms of average marks...again, difficult to answer. IIRC, its meant to be the case that the average mark is 600 (aka 50%....if you consider 300 is the lowest score and 900 the highest). So getting around 50-60% in practice questions is bare minimum if you wanna hit that score.
Rxmxi
Rep:
?
Hi, I think my weakest areas have to be quantitative and verbal reasoning (not true or false) as I'm not sure how to time manage but also try to get the answers correct.
Thank you

(Original post by Medic Mind)
It really depends on what practice questions you're doing as some will be harder than others and will have different baselines.

Was there a particular area you did weaker on that I can help you with?

Let me know

Mohil
Medic Mind
Rxmxi
Rep:
?
I have heard the scores you are able to obtain are in the thousands, rather than hundreds due to a new section. Is this correct also?
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rxmxi)
Hi, thanks I would appreciate it if you could elaborate slightly. I just feel like the improvement is really slow and not what you'd expect if you were doing a knowledge based test/ I'll keep trying definitely. How long would you recommend revising for if the test is in 2 weeks?
I wouldn't say revising, more "practicing", but thats just a small technicality.

It depends how well you learn from mistakes (which we all make btw). I'd say a good few hours at least, but try and understand WHY each answers was wrong, cause that can help you pick up the patterns and style, or whatever.

To note, I sat UKCAT 3 times, and I used to struggle with Decision analysis-only got 470 in the first one. However I found the advice in UKCAT for dummies (finally a good "for dummies" book) for it really helpful for this, as they explained each one really well, iirc. Think i managed 680 and 780 on my subsequent decision analysis attempts.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rxmxi)
I have heard the scores you are able to obtain are in the thousands, rather than hundreds due to a new section. Is this correct also?
The overall score has always been in the thousands. You divide by 4 to get your mark out of 900.
Rxmxi
Rep:
?
Does anyone have any tips for verbal reasoning? Is it best to read the full passage, or answer options first?
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rxmxi)
Does anyone have any tips for verbal reasoning? Is it best to read the full passage, or answer options first?
Personally i would scan the passage and get an idea of what each section is about, then read the question and find the section of the passage it is talking about.
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rxmxi)
tbh the questions test how well you picked out details from the passage. So definitely best to read it first. It was easier to just scan it before when the options were "true/false/cant tell", not so much anymore
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (188)
12.73%
Excited (121)
8.19%
Worried (279)
18.89%
Terrified (343)
23.22%
Meh (120)
8.12%
Confused (34)
2.3%