Igcse literature english

Watch this thread
Needenglishhelp
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,
Im from the pasific and my english is not too well. Im currently right now in nz studying igcse. I would really appreciate any help from anybody who go b and above in their externals. Im clueless on how to study im doing merchent of veince, inspector calls, stories of ourselves(short stories) and songs of ourselves.help on these specific ones will be much appreciated. Aslo i dnt know which quotes i should learn, essay structure, what to write when anaysisng, which themes and characters?
Thanks....any help would be very much appreciated😀
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Needenglishhelp)
Hi all,
Im from the pasific and my english is not too well. Im currently right now in nz studying igcse. I would really appreciate any help from anybody who go b and above in their externals. Im clueless on how to study im doing merchent of veince, inspector calls, stories of ourselves(short stories) and songs of ourselves.help on these specific ones will be much appreciated. Aslo i dnt know which quotes i should learn, essay structure, what to write when anaysisng, which themes and characters?
Thanks....any help would be very much appreciated😀
Hi! I just did my English literature iGCSE in May and I'm predicted an A* (and got one in my internal exams). Feel free to message me if you need help with anything

I'm only familiar with The Merchant of Venice and AIC, of those four; it's probably a good idea to speak to your teachers if you're "clueless", so that they can give you advice which is specific to your personal progress and the literature you're studying. TSR has some AIC resources here and probably some more notes and resources here.

Basically, the two things you want to do when you're studying iGCSE English lit are quote-memorising and essay plans. The former can get quite tedious, but I'd advise planning some responses to certain essay questions open book first (i.e. with your copy of your text open so that you can look for quotations to include in your plans) and memorising the quotations as you practise writing. Take care to think about how the quotations you've learnt can be adapted to different questions; a mistake a lot of people make is to assign a theme or a character to a certain quotation and forget how many different ways there are to interpret any quotation.

When it comes to analysis, you can get top marks in iGCSE English literature just by using a really simplified structure for every point you make:
1) Point: a certain response to the essay question (e.g. if the question is "how is the relationship between [character] and [character] presented in [text]?" your point might be "the relationship between [character] and [character] often appears to be turbulent/peaceful/based on deep feelings of trust etc.."
2) Evidence: a quotation which implies that your point is the case.
3) Explanation: why the quotation you chose implies that your point is the case. This is where you should talk about specific techniques - imagery, phonological choices (alliteration etc.), sentence length and so on - and how these techniques contribute to making the point you're talking about (e.g. how they contribute to emphasising the turbulence/peace etc. of the relationship).
4) Link: how this whole analysis relates back to the essay title. This is usually done at the end of a paragraph; excessively linking will sound weird.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.6%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.85%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.16%

Watched Threads