P202216
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am applying to university wanting to do medicine, or possibly biomedical sciences and then medicine as a post graduate. I was wondering what the difference is between a 'master of biomedical sciences' course and a 'bachelor of science (with honours) - BSc (Hons) - both for biomedical sciences.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by P202216)
I am applying to university wanting to do medicine, or possibly biomedical sciences and then medicine as a post graduate. I was wondering what the difference is between a 'master of biomedical sciences' course and a 'bachelor of science (with honours) - BSc (Hons) - both for biomedical sciences.
One is a Masters degree, a postgraduate qualification, one is an undergraduate degree.
P202216
Rep:
?
(Original post by TraineeBMS)
One is a Masters degree, a postgraduate qualification, one is an undergraduate degree.

I thought so. In applying for universities - I am really keen on studying medicine however understand the difficulties of getting accepted as it is extremely competitive. Would you recommend doing biomedical science and then going through medicine as a post graduate as another option?
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought so. In applying for universities - I am really keen on studying medicine however understand the difficulties of getting accepted as it is extremely competitive. Would you recommend doing biomedical science and then going through medicine as a post graduate as another option?
Sorry to interrupt. I'll be applying for Medicine 2018 entry, and from speaking to academics, current students and teachers etc. I would say apply for four medical schools and use the fifth choice for Biomedical Sciences. Graduate Entry medicine can be just as if not more competitive, is a much more expensive route (think 4/5 more years of tuition fees and living costs), and if you apply for the 4 year grad entry medicine after your BSc, you'll have to sit the GAMSAT, which is much harder than UKCAT/BMAT (they suggest working through 1st year physics, chemistry, biology and maths uni textbooks to prepare). However, it is quite late, so if you have no idea of where to apply, no UKCAT prep, and no statement draft it will be a push before October 15th, but it's possible.
Sarah1778
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So I'm currently studying Biomedical Sciences, due to start my third and final year in September. I'm still keeping my options open about what to do after uni but graduate medicine is an option I'm looking at. Personally if I apply for graduate medicine, I know I have a much higher chance of being accepted than I ever did if I applied for undergrad. Considering my grades were below average for my A-Levels, but I'm on track for a very decent first class degree , you can see why I'm much more likely to be accepted now.Also I've been apply to do work/research experience and internship in the last couple of years which will aid my application and have increased my knowledge.

I would think that even though still very competitive, grad medicine is more easier. Downside is staying in education for 4-5 more years and obviously the cost of it all. I always thought I'd go straight to medicine after I finish my undergrad, but now I've found so many other options; by doing a different undergrad you can find out if medicine is really what you want to do or not.
P202216
Rep:
?
(Original post by jsg9)
Sorry to interrupt. I'll be applying for Medicine 2018 entry, and from speaking to academics, current students and teachers etc. I would say apply for four medical schools and use the fifth choice for Biomedical Sciences. Graduate Entry medicine can be just as if not more competitive, is a much more expensive route (think 4/5 more years of tuition fees and living costs), and if you apply for the 4 year grad entry medicine after your BSc, you'll have to sit the GAMSAT, which is much harder than UKCAT/BMAT (they suggest working through 1st year physics, chemistry, biology and maths uni textbooks to prepare). However, it is quite late, so if you have no idea of where to apply, no UKCAT prep, and no statement draft it will be a push before October 15th, but it's possible.
Thank you, that's really helpful. I am just wary that it is competitive, and thinking of other routes if all doesn't go to plan with going straight to university to study medicine in 2018. I've booked my UKCAT and studying for it at the moment but finding it very hard. Where are you applying to?
P202216
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarah1778)
So I'm currently studying Biomedical Sciences, due to start my third and final year in September. I'm still keeping my options open about what to do after uni but graduate medicine is an option I'm looking at. Personally if I apply for graduate medicine, I know I have a much higher chance of being accepted than I ever did if I applied for undergrad. Considering my grades were below average for my A-Levels, but I'm on track for a very decent first class degree , you can see why I'm much more likely to be accepted now.Also I've been apply to do work/research experience and internship in the last couple of years which will aid my application and have increased my knowledge.

I would think that even though still very competitive, grad medicine is more easier. Downside is staying in education for 4-5 more years and obviously the cost of it all. I always thought I'd go straight to medicine after I finish my undergrad, but now I've found so many other options; by doing a different undergrad you can find out if medicine is really what you want to do or not.
This is exactly my thoughts. The extra years of studying wouldn't bother me at all as I have always loved learning and that wouldn't matter. My main focus is wanting to do medicine. I went to a university open day talk about biomedical sciences - not knowing anything about it. I ended up loving the sound of the course and thought it sounds like something I'd love - which if I still wanted to do medicine after, it could still be an option. I agree with you and feel although its still competitive - I would have more of a chance after doing biomedical sciences than I do now. As similar to what you said - my A level Chemistry grades are lower than I'd like them to be (which I feel could potentially hold me back from getting into university to do medicine). What university are you studying at and how are you finding biomedical sciences?
jsg9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you, that's really helpful. I am just wary that it is competitive, and thinking of other routes if all doesn't go to plan with going straight to university to study medicine in 2018. I've booked my UKCAT and studying for it at the moment but finding it very hard. Where are you applying to?
No problem. I'm finding UKCAT hard atm too, trying to ask around for the best courses but they're all pretty mixed review wise. I think I'll apply for King's, Newcastle, Liverpool and Exeter, but I did a Biosciences week at UCL and I really liked that so I might apply there - if I can bring myself to face the BMAT, maths isn't my forte. Where do you want to apply?
P202216
Rep:
?
(Original post by jsg9)
No problem. I'm finding UKCAT hard atm too, trying to ask around for the best courses but they're all pretty mixed review wise. I think I'll apply for King's, Newcastle, Liverpool and Exeter, but I did a Biosciences week at UCL and I really liked that so I might apply there - if I can bring myself to face the BMAT, maths isn't my forte. Where do you want to apply?

Yeah from what I've looked at - biomedical science looks like the best option other than medicine. I looked at biochemistry but got told there's a LOT of hard chemistry in it - which I'm struggling with atm anyway. Whereas Biomedical sciences are more to do with the anatomy etc - this is from what I've been told. I think I'll try avoid the BMAT as best as I can, as maths too isn't my forte. I'm looking at Queen Mary's, Nottingham, Newcastle, Exeter, Keele, Bristol and Southampton - all their open days and not sure at all yet what ones to apply to. All depends on how well or how badly I do on the UKCAT! If I don't do too great - I'll have to look at universities that don't prioritise the UKCAT score as much. All so stressful
jsg9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah from what I've looked at - biomedical science looks like the best option other than medicine. I looked at biochemistry but got told there's a LOT of hard chemistry in it - which I'm struggling with atm anyway. Whereas Biomedical sciences are more to do with the anatomy etc - this is from what I've been told. I think I'll try avoid the BMAT as best as I can, as maths too isn't my forte. I'm looking at Queen Mary's, Nottingham, Newcastle, Exeter, Keele, Bristol and Southampton - all their open days and not sure at all yet what ones to apply to. All depends on how well or how badly I do on the UKCAT! If I don't do too great - I'll have to look at universities that don't prioritise the UKCAT score as much. All so stressful
Yeah I would say definitely Biomedical Science is the closest content, especially in years 1 and 2, Biochemistry would still let you apply as a grad and I find it really interesting but will definitely be more heavy on chemistry as you'd expect. I'm struggling between Exeter and UCL, I loved them both on open days, I wish we had 5 choices. When is your UKCAT?
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Graduate-entry medicine is more competitive than normal entry.
Will99-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am thinking of studying biomedical science at uni and I was just wondering which universities are the best to choose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.1%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.67%
It might lead to more bullying (72)
36.36%
There's nothing they could do (59)
29.8%

Watched Threads