Davedavee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Alright, I failed year 12 and rightly so, i did no work. Its not the case of me being incapable and "failing' as such, more that i didn't try and put no effort in. I was doing history, sociology and BTEC business.

I was informed that i didn't make the requirements for next year and my school wont take me back even to resit. I really want to go uni and with my own age group. I know i can drop back a year and go to uni with the year below me but that is the last thing i want to do really as i completely waste this year of my life lol.

Anyway you have heard about my tragic life and any thoughts or ideas of how to go to uni next year the same as my mates. Literally anything.

Cheers lads and ladies.
username1801813
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
well to go to uni next year, you need to send off a UCAS application by either Oct or Jan, depending on what course you're interested in.
This needs predicted grades.
This needs a college to give you predicted grades.
This means finding a new college - problem is, they have nothing to go off in terms of predicted grades since all they have is your year 12 results.
which would probably mean low predicted grades - which wouldn't get you into a good uni/course.

Why are you so bothered about going at the same time as your mates?
it's not like you're going to be with each other/see each other at uni.

and people that go to uni are of all ages - you might find yourself surrounded by 22, 27, or 35 year olds at times, it's no biggie.

Ultimately, you f*cked around, I'm sorry that that's blunt but it's the truth.
You can't expect there to be 0 repercussions - if you don't go to uni aged 18, it's your own fault.

and if you go to uni aged 19, it's really not that deep.
Davedavee
Rep:
?
(Original post by hamzakalinle)
well to go to uni next year, you need to send off a UCAS application by either Oct or Jan, depending on what course you're interested in.
This needs predicted grades.
This needs a college to give you predicted grades.
This means finding a new college - problem is, they have nothing to go off in terms of predicted grades since all they have is your year 12 results.
which would probably mean low predicted grades - which wouldn't get you into a good uni/course.

Why are you so bothered about going at the same time as your mates?
it's not like you're going to be with each other/see each other at uni.

and people that go to uni are of all ages - you might find yourself surrounded by 22, 27, or 35 year olds at times, it's no biggie.

Ultimately, you f*cked around, I'm sorry that that's blunt but it's the truth.
You can't expect there to be 0 repercussions - if you don't go to uni aged 18, it's your own fault.

and if you go to uni aged 19, it's really not that deep.

Na you're right mate i did f*ck around but i regret it and legit anything i can do this year that can make sure i go uni next year is my priority.

I get what you're saying its not that deep but if you were me right now you'd be thinking the same.

Cheers anyway though.
AlexLamberti
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Seriously going to uni w 'the year below' isn't the same as it is in school. Loads of people take gaps years and do work experience anyway so it isn't like everyone is the same age at all. Resit year 12, do better and then apply for uni next year and go when you're 19
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Look for other colleges and see if they'll accept you into Year 13.

Also, most people at university won't be your age anyway. A lot of people are actually 19 or 20 when they begin first year, but they blend in and usually don't make a big deal out of it, so no one notices. You definitely won't be out of place if you're 19 when you start uni, and you won't be the only one.
Davedavee
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlexLamberti)
Seriously going to uni w 'the year below' isn't the same as it is in school. Loads of people take gaps years and do work experience anyway so it isn't like everyone is the same age at all. Resit year 12, do better and then apply for uni next year and go when you're 19
Na you're completely right but the thought of going through another year again kills me lol. Its going to sound like i am completely thick but i am actually quite bright which is the most annoying thing i just never apply myself.
Davedavee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Petulia)
Look for other colleges and see if they'll accept you into Year 13.

Also, most people at university won't be your age anyway. A lot of people are actually 19 or 20 when they begin first year, but they blend in and usually don't make a big deal out of it, so no one notices. You definitely won't be out of place if you're 19 when you start uni, and you won't be the only one.
Cheers for the reply and you're right but i will dread to see my mates off having a laugh when i am stuck back at school or college when i should be at uni.
BigMan Ting
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought another year might seriously be too much for me but I realised that ultimately I'm going to uni to get my degree and not to have a good time with my mates (yeah, it will happen provided I do some work).I'm starting uni this September at 19, most people born in September the same year as me would be turning 19 so it doesn't make a difference. I won't turn 20 until next year and hardly anyone will ask your age when you're at uni since you're all doing the same course and living in the same communal area.Trust me - you'll thank yourself in the end for doing this. Two years will go by in a breeze, just stay committed and follow your goal and you'll be at uni in no-time.
Davedavee
Rep:
?
(Original post by BigMan Ting)
I thought another year might seriously be too much for me but I realised that ultimately I'm going to uni to get my degree and not to have a good time with my mates (yeah, it will happen provided I do some work).I'm starting uni this September at 19, most people born in September the same year as me would be turning 19 so it doesn't make a difference. I won't turn 20 until next year and hardly anyone will ask your age when you're at uni since you're all doing the same course and living in the same communal area.Trust me - you'll thank yourself in the end for doing this. Two years will go by in a breeze, just stay committed and follow your goal and you'll be at uni in no-time.
Thanks for the reply fella i'm just in two minds at the moment.
Tanya.Mary
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm also resitting year 12 and I was also worried about people thinking I'm daft and incapable of completing my A-Levels.But I realised, a couple of months into As and these same people will be too engrossed in their own lives to worry about someone repeating.

At the end of the day you have 2 options:

1-Continue and apply to university with limited choices and the possibility of having to enter into clearing. Maybe start University with all your friends.

2-Repeat. SMASH As grades. Have a wider variety of Universities to choose from and a higher chance of receiving offers. Back-flip on results day and go to university.

Honestly I'm just taking it as a learning curve.
Good Luck in whatever you decide to do
Davedavee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tanya.Mary)
I'm also resitting year 12 and I was also worried about people thinking I'm daft and incapable of completing my A-Levels.But I realised, a couple of months into As and these same people will be too engrossed in their own lives to worry about someone repeating.

At the end of the day you have 2 options:

1-Continue and apply to university with limited choices and the possibility of having to enter into clearing. Maybe start University with all your friends.

2-Repeat. SMASH As grades. Have a wider variety of Universities to choose from and a higher chance of receiving offers. Back-flip on results day and go to university.

Honestly I'm just taking it as a learning curve.
Good Luck in whatever you decide to do

Cheers Tanya oh you're resitting too where are you from?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im resitting (different subjects,different 6th form) atm so feel free to ask me anything
Davedavee
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Im resitting (different subjects,different 6th form) atm so feel free to ask me anything
Do you not feel like you're wasting a year?

Are uou bothered you will be a year behind?

Have you thought of going college to get the BTEC equivalent?
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Davedavee)
Do you not feel like you're wasting a year?

Are uou bothered you will be a year behind?

Have you thought of going college to get the BTEC equivalent?
Last year I worked hard but the subjects amd environment just werent for me. I feel like me resitting was much better than me continuing and getting bad grades at A2. So I mostly dont feel like I am wasting a year . Maybe I "wasted" a year but this current year isnt a waste if that makes sense.

No lots of people take gap years or resit it isn't a big deal. My new friends in the year below are much more welcoming than the people who I left.

I prefer A-Levels and there arent any BTEC courses that I would like anyway.

Btw I had BDEE last year
srdavison123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Alright, I failed year 12 and rightly so, i did no work. Its not the case of me being incapable and "failing' as such, more that i didn't try and put no effort in. I was doing history, sociology and BTEC business.

I was informed that i didn't make the requirements for next year and my school wont take me back even to resit. I really want to go uni and with my own age group. I know i can drop back a year and go to uni with the year below me but that is the last thing i want to do really as i completely waste this year of my life lol.

Anyway you have heard about my tragic life and any thoughts or ideas of how to go to uni next year the same as my mates. Literally anything.

Cheers lads and ladies.
You'd struggle to get into Uni. However with a foundation year and clearing you'd potentially manage to secure a University place. However, if you really want to go to University, you're going to have to 'pull your finger' out, actually try and get some grades at another institution and rectify your mistakes. Always seems great messing around until you get that envelope...
In all seriousness, good luck.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
You dont sound thick, just very immature.
If you dont want to resit the year and the school wont let you proceed, then you can try and and convince another school to take you or sit the subjects as a private candidate and pass your A levels that way. Then when you get your grades you can go through clearing.
Davedavee
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You dont sound thick, just very immature.
If you dont want to resit the year and the school wont let you proceed, then you can try and and convince another school to take you or sit the subjects as a private candidate and pass your A levels that way. Then when you get your grades you can go through clearing.
What do you mean as a private candidate?
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
What do you mean as a private candidate?
Means you teach yourself home school tutor etc and enter the exam outside the normal school/ college system.
Davedavee
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Means you teach yourself home school tutor etc and enter the exam outside the normal school/ college system.
Is this a safe way of doing this
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Is this a safe way of doing this
What do you mean by safe? Its normally done because you have no option.

It would require you to be smart and committed enough to teach yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.03%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.39%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (22)
17.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.06%

Watched Threads