What are my options here?

Watch this thread
MurphyLikesMaths
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For my 1st year, I did Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, and Physics. I've done AS levels in Maths and Further Maths and I think I should have As in both.
My predicted grades are A*A*AD because I ****ed up a physics mock used to calculate our predicted grade even though I'd been getting As and Bs throughout the year. For computing I've been predicted an A after getting that in the mock, and I have been getting that all year, but I'd really want to drop computing due to the long coursework - as I want to concentrate my time on preparing for Maths (I'm looking at Oxbridge so I will have to do admissions tests).

As well as this, I feel like I'm more likely to get an A in physics with enough effort, compared to computing. However, I'm not sure whether I can get my predicted grade up in time, as the deadline for Oxbridge is the 15th of September at my college - and there is a retake available for those who did badly to get their predicted grades up, but this will be around that time (we start Year 13 on the 13th of September).

I'd really like to drop one of Computer Science or Physics though, so should I desperately email my physics teacher and try to get him to raise the predicted grade, because I definitely will get a lot higher than a D. My other option though, is to spend pretty much all of this month working on my programming project to benefit Computer Science, and then drop physics for next year. However, I'd really like to avoid that because I was planning on dropping Computer Science at first before I knew how badly physics went, and I'd rather have this time to learn C3 and C4 among other MAT preparation. My teachers go back to work on the 29th of August, so any frantic emailing will be done then.
Sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MurphyLikesMaths)
For my 1st year, I did Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, and Physics. I've done AS levels in Maths and Further Maths and I think I should have As in both.
My predicted grades are A*A*AD because I ****ed up a physics mock used to calculate our predicted grade even though I'd been getting As and Bs throughout the year. For computing I've been predicted an A after getting that in the mock, and I have been getting that all year, but I'd really want to drop computing due to the long coursework - as I want to concentrate my time on preparing for Maths (I'm looking at Oxbridge so I will have to do admissions tests).

As well as this, I feel like I'm more likely to get an A in physics with enough effort, compared to computing. However, I'm not sure whether I can get my predicted grade up in time, as the deadline for Oxbridge is the 15th of September at my college - and there is a retake available for those who did badly to get their predicted grades up, but this will be around that time (we start Year 13 on the 13th of September).

I'd really like to drop one of Computer Science or Physics though, so should I desperately email my physics teacher and try to get him to raise the predicted grade, because I definitely will get a lot higher than a D. My other option though, is to spend pretty much all of this month working on my programming project to benefit Computer Science, and then drop physics for next year. However, I'd really like to avoid that because I was planning on dropping Computer Science at first before I knew how badly physics went, and I'd rather have this time to learn C3 and C4 among other MAT preparation. My teachers go back to work on the 29th of August, so any frantic emailing will be done then.
If you want to study maths, then maths and further maths would be essential otherwise focus on what will get you the highest grades.
seasidestudy
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MurphyLikesMaths)

Hey i think you should drop computer science completely and go for the physics retake. If dropping CS has been on your mind for a while, and it sounds like it has then you should rid it. Actually you could first email your physics teacher about upping your grade, and if he doesn't or doesn't up it as much as you'd like then prepare for the retake. Hope this helps, good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (98)
28.41%
It went fairly well (165)
47.83%
It didn't go too well (55)
15.94%
TERRIBLE! (27)
7.83%

Watched Threads