M3 m4 m5 Watch

cotkhd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm taking M3, M4, M5 this year for the chosen modules in maths and further maths.

I found M1 and M2 easy, would I struggle with M3,M4,M5?
Also is it wise to take the hard mechanics modules all in one year?
DJMayes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Firstly, which board is this? If it is Edexcel, I have done it.

My sixth form taught modules for Maths/Further in the following way:

AS: C1, C2, FP1, S1, D1, D2
A2: C3, C4, FP2, S2, M1, M2

I wanted to do extra modules for university applications so ended up self-teaching the entirety of M1-5 in a year, as well as C3, C4, FP3, S3 and S4 (the first three for scheduling reasons).

It is entirely plausible to do all the modules in one year - indeed, if you're going to do them, it pretty much has to be this way, because M3, M4, M5 require knowledge of C3, C4, and possibly FP2 and FP3.

In terms of difficulty there is a noticeable difference between M1/M2 and M3, M4, M5 - the hardest 5 modules are probably M5 > M4 > FP3 > M3 > FP2 in that order.

Of course, this is not to say you will necessarily struggle with it, just to be advised of the step up. They are more interesting modules and very rewarding to do.
cotkhd
Rep:
?
(Original post by DJMayes)
Hi,

Firstly, which board is this? If it is Edexcel, I have done it.

My sixth form taught modules for Maths/Further in the following way:

AS: C1, C2, FP1, S1, D1, D2
A2: C3, C4, FP2, S2, M1, M2

I wanted to do extra modules for university applications so ended up self-teaching the entirety of M1-5 in a year, as well as C3, C4, FP3, S3 and S4 (the first three for scheduling reasons).

It is entirely plausible to do all the modules in one year - indeed, if you're going to do them, it pretty much has to be this way, because M3, M4, M5 require knowledge of C3, C4, and possibly FP2 and FP3.

In terms of difficulty there is a noticeable difference between M1/M2 and M3, M4, M5 - the hardest 5 modules are probably M5 > M4 > FP3 > M3 > FP2 in that order.

Of course, this is not to say you will necessarily struggle with it, just to be advised of the step up. They are more interesting modules and very rewarding to do.
Which module would I need FP3 for? That sucks because for this year I'm taking M4,M5, and FP2 for A2, and so would I have to teach myself FP3 also?

Btw its edexcel!
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cotkhd)
Which module would I need FP3 for? That sucks because for this year I'm taking M4,M5, and FP2 for A2, and so would I have to teach myself FP3 also?

Btw its edexcel!
Having just looked at the specification:

- M3 does not require FP3 at all

- M4 requires knowledge of a single standard integral from FP3 (which you can probably just learn outside of the module)

- M5 requires knowledge of vector products from FP3

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...hs_Issue_3.pdf
cotkhd
Rep:
?
(Original post by DJMayes)
Having just looked at the specification:

- M3 does not require FP3 at all

- M4 requires knowledge of a single standard integral from FP3 (which you can probably just learn outside of the module)

- M5 requires knowledge of vector products from FP3

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...hs_Issue_3.pdf
Would it be hard to learn the vector products chapter (and the standard integral thing) from FP3 without having done the other FP3 chapters? I really dont wanna take S2 or D1 so I'm really confused
computernerd1001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
May I ask why? It sounds like a lot of work...

(Also, FP2 is a compulsory module for FM in Year 2, so I don't know what you mean?)
cotkhd
Rep:
?
(Original post by computernerd1001)
May I ask why? It sounds like a lot of work...

(Also, FP2 is a compulsory module for FM in Year 2, so I don't know what you mean?)
-I really didnt like S1 so I don't wanna take S2.
-I don't like the look of algorithms in D1 and my big brother got a d in d1 although he aced his other modules.
-Doing mechanics would benefit me (apparently) for university as im taking engineering
-I've loved everything in M1 and M2 so I'm guessing I would adore M3,4,5
computernerd1001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
-I really didnt like S1 so I don't wanna take S2.
-I don't like the look of algorithms in D1 and my big brother got a d in d1 although he aced his other modules.
-Doing mechanics would benefit me (apparently) for university as im taking engineering
-I've loved everything in M1 and M2 so I'm guessing I would adore M3,4,5
That's fair enough, I suppose from the perspective of someone who probably hasn't done that well at AS in FM I don't have room to talk, plus D1 and D2 suit me better because I want to do Computer Science...

I hope you do well, and the FP3 parts aren't too hard, I've heard it can be really difficult, although at least you won't be tested on them
stack__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm taking M3, M4, M5 this year for the chosen modules in maths and further maths.

I found M1 and M2 easy, would I struggle with M3,M4,M5?
Also is it wise to take the hard mechanics modules all in one year?
lol I thought u was talking about BMW cars lmao smh
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ohh. THAT M3, M4, M5..I thought these were controlled substances.

Good luck with your exams.
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would it be hard to learn the vector products chapter (and the standard integral thing) from FP3 without having done the other FP3 chapters? I really dont wanna take S2 or D1 so I'm really confused
The vector products section is a reasonably large chunk of FP3. I don't recall it being dependent on anything other than C4 vectors (potentially ties into the matrices chapter in FP3; I forget to be honest).

The standard integral is not difficult to learn on it's own. It's this:

\displaystyle\int \frac{1}{a^2+x^2} \ dx

This is simply integration by substitution:

x = a\tan(u)

dx = a \sec^2(u)

\displaystyle\int \frac{1}{a^2+x^2} \ dx =   \displaystyle\int \frac{a\sec^2(u)}{a^2+a^2\tan^2(  u)}  \ du

= \int \frac{1}{a} \ du = \frac{u}{a} + c = \frac{1}{a} \arctan(\frac{x}{a}) + c

That's it.

My personal suggestion: drop M5, take FP3. Not only will it mean you're not trying to work through chapters from modules you're not actually doing, FP3 will be more useful to you as an engineer anyway - hyperbolic functions are important in many engineering problems, the integration / differentiation chapters are useful and the vector and especially matrix algebra chapters will continue to appear throughout any numerate course. FP3 also tends to be better supported and is an easier course to do. You don't need to take S2 or D1 this way either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (18)
12.08%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (11)
7.38%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (35)
23.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (22)
14.77%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (16)
10.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (47)
31.54%

Watched Threads