Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Materials |--> Medicine !?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    One of my friends has got a place At Queen Mary University to do Biomedical Materials Science and Engineering:
    http://www.materials.qmul.ac.uk/unde...es.php?id=J501

Now she want to do medicine [postgraduate] after and become a doctor!

So we wanted to ask if you know whether this is possible…Or whether a degree in Materials will be adequate for postgraduate studies in medicine.

I know people can do Medicine after doing degrees like Biomedical and …. But This degree is based in the Materials Department so that’s why we are not sure.

Thankx in advanced

ReputationRep:
    she's not IN queen mary yet right?
    i think she should decline her offer, take a gap year and apply for medicine in october. if she knows she wants to become a doctor now, why do materials?
    it has been mentioned time and again on this forum that graduate entry places are much much more competitive...and i'd like to reiterate that.
    anyway, i hope all goes well! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thankx yes...Well she wants to do Medicine and i told her the same thing...but I 'm not sure if her grades are good enough to do medicine now

ReputationRep:
    what are her grades?
    i guess she could spend her gap year studying and retaking some modules....as well as getting loads of work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    what are her grades?
    i guess she could spend her gap year studying and retaking some modules....as well as getting loads of work experience
    She got Bs and Cs

Though she did Maths, Chemistry and Biology.
    I think she could do that but she doesn't want to take a gap year....she just went through clearing

ReputationRep:
    If she hasn't started yet, I would give serious thought to resitting her A-Levels and applying as a school leaver. The graduate route is vastly competative, compared to school leaver entry.

However, as she has a place on a materials course, you want to show her this:
    http://www.materials.qmul.ac.uk/admi...fast_track.php

If she can swap onto a medical materials stylee course, she could have a shot at GEP in their 'guarenteed places, lets bypass other universities sham' system. If she doesn't [pull it off she could just finish her degree and join the pain and hell of trying to get in as a Grad (would apply to 2 GEPs and 2 5 year courses) - it's worth the pain when you get a place though

ReputationRep:
    Thankx for ur replies. I 'll speak to her and try to pursuade her to retake her exams...

Fluffy: By looking at the list of the modules for this course :
    Do you think this degree is even accepted by the medical schools? you think she'll learn whats sufficient to be even considered for a place for at graduate level?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Thankx for ur replies. I 'll speak to her and try to pursuade her to retake her exams...

Fluffy: By looking at the list of the modules for this course :
    Do you think this degree is even accepted by the medical schools? you think she'll learn whats sufficient to be even considered for a place for at graduate level?
    Cheers
    Inthat case, she should really go for a lide sciences degree. Things are mroe clear cut here. All cuorses - GEP and 5 year will take a life sci degree. Materials may limit her - certainly on the 5 year front, and only half the GEPs will consider a non-science (she may be able to get them to consider materials if she takes the 'right' modules) non-healthcare degree.

If she is meerly doing a degree in order to apply for medicine, then (IMHO) she would be better to gap and apply for a decent life sci course next year. Better still she should just retake. Without a qualifying (in subject) degree, she might have to retake her A-levels at a later stage anyway. Also some medical school expect their graduate applicants to have the same A-Level grades as there school leaver applicants. Unforuntately with applying to medicial school as a graduate becoming more popular, and with everyone having a 2i or above (with the exception of SGHMS and Notts GEPs) for either the GEP or 5 year course, schools are finding themselves looking at A-Level results. SGHMS do this for grads applying to their 5 year course.

ReputationRep:
    there's no hope for me fluffy!

i can't follow in your footsteps!

barts won't want my eng degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    there's no hope for me fluffy!

i can't follow in your footsteps!

Things are a bit different for people with 'older' degrees.

I was talking to an AT friend of mine on Friday and they said that it's become very obvious this year that they are stating to get hammmered with applications from people who missed their med offers at A-Level and went off and did a biomed degree (The first GEP doctors are starting as PrHOs now!).

They also said that many schools found it a bit sad (in a kinda way, so in a sad muppet kind of way) as graduate entry was supposed to catch great doctors who didn't know what they wanted to do at 18, not provide a last chance saloon for people who didn't make it first time round. The counter arguement, of course, is that they have as much right as anyone to apply!

This is part oft he reason I think that all the talk of medicine becoming a graduate qualification will happen.

And anyway, MR Tab - I'm guessing you have better than average A-Levels, and a Tab to Oxford academic background will make you a dead cert for GEP entry, provided you get some work expereicne in! I can put a good word in for you at Sobell House if you fancy a bit of vol stuff in Oxford. I also have the contact details for the head of volunteer services at the JRII if you want them, and can suggest a great consultant to shaddow, who teaches on the Oxford GEP.

fx

ReputationRep:
    Who said the old Oxbridge Old Boys (and Girls) networks were non-existent?

Nah, I don't think I want to do medicine anymore anyways, I think I might be more useful to the world by making those benabots (or at least something technological that meddy doctors can't do)!

However, if in future when you are Meddy Dr Fluffy and you need something building, let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Who said the old Oxbridge Old Boys (and Girls) networks were non-existent?

Nah, I don't think I want to do medicine anymore anyways, I think I might be more useful to the world by making those benabots (or at least something technological that meddy doctors can't do)!

However, if in future when you are Meddy Dr Fluffy and you need something building, let me know!

are you any good at private jets? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    are you any good at private jets? :cool:
    I studied my fluid mechanics and aerodynamics :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I studied my fluid mechanics and aerodynamics :cool:
    Oh goody! Can I have a private jet with a swimming pool then please?

ReputationRep:
    Thankx alot Fluffy

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.