Maths A-level Watch

This discussion is closed.
recurring
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi, i just got my gcse maths result and it was higher than expected (A*) I'm just thinking of whether to do it but many people have been telling me how difficult it can get especially mechanics, i was just wondering if any a-level students could enlighten me. thanks in advance.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it's easy, and the best subject

btw I'm not saying that bedcause I enjoy it or got good marks in, I honestly think that maths of all the subjects is the best to have an A-level in.
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
it's easy, and the best subject

btw I'm not saying that bedcause I enjoy it or got good marks in, I honestly think that maths of all the subjects is the best to have an A-level in.
Difficulty is relative. It may be easy for you because you spend so much time on it, but for other people maybe not.
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maths A-level isn't the smoothest of rides for everyone, but I think it is worth it...as a subject, it's respected pretty much everywhere, no matter what you're doing.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by capslock)
Difficulty is relative. It may be easy for you because you spend so much time on it, but for other people maybe not.
relative to an A* at GCSE it is easy :cool:
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by recurring)
Hi, i just got my gcse maths result and it was higher than expected (A*) I'm just thinking of whether to do it but many people have been telling me how difficult it can get especially mechanics, i was just wondering if any a-level students could enlighten me. thanks in advance.
It is an easy a level if you have an interest and are prepared to put extra work in to master the concepts, if not then its bound to get difficult. People usually find mechanics easy or impossible, there is no inbetween, i think a lot of it comes from visualising the question.
Godmaster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
It is an easy a level if you have an interest and are prepared to put extra work in to master the concepts, if not then its bound to get difficult. People usually find mechanics easy or impossible, there is no inbetween, i think a lot of it comes from visualising the question.
Maths is probabli among the most difficult of A levels to pass. For starters it has a faliure rate of around 15-20% every year. Secondly in order 2b successful at gettin a good pass grade u need at least Grade A at GCSE, hence those hu do take it av a good grasp of mathematics alreadi (eg algebra n' equations which r da basis of AS n' A Level maths).
However, if you enjoy playin around with letters and using different techniques to produce solutions to questions and practical problems then maths is for u. Jst remember its difficult to pass unless you practice cos the questions r realli dodgy n' it takes skil to decipher wot they want you to do first of all all the best of luk

Kind Regards
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got a low C in my GCSE mock, and I'm pretty sure I just scraped an A in the real exams

I seriously think anyone who is smart, say the smartest 30% of people, with practice (and quite a lot), can get fulls marks.
RobbieC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
I got a low C in my GCSE mock, and I'm pretty sure I just scraped an A in the real exams

I seriously think anyone who is smart, say the smartest 30% of people, with practice (and quite a lot), can get fulls marks.
Yes, but you always get that ******* (excuse my french) question, which you have never seen before... Or that proof your teacher didn't tell you to learn by heart that turns your freakin world upside down!

It happens to me all the time... I am yet to get 100% in a Maths module, but I don't care really, it's not something I aspire to...

In response to the earlier question, provided you are willing to work and can find interest in maths before your world comes crashing down, A level should make a good choice for you.

But it is HARD work.
faa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i fink that maths is hard because if u make a mistake- u cant blag **** about it like u can in an english or business studies exam, but if u av gone ova and ova it all- and u know how to do it- its a doddle. Its a bit like marmite- u either love it or hate it
Scottus_Mus
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by faa)
i fink that maths is hard because if u make a mistake- u cant blag **** about it like u can in an english or business studies exam, but if u av gone ova and ova it all- and u know how to do it- its a doddle. Its a bit like marmite- u either love it or hate it
I HATE marmite but love maths
faa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Scottus_Mus)
I HATE marmite but love maths
well i didnt say you have to hate or love both! lol. Im just saying it seems you either love maths or hate maths! lol
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.64%
No (521)
72.36%

Watched Threads