Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP! My word count is crazy! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need to know ways I can reduce my word count! I have written an essay that is 1000 words over the limit! I have already put some text in a table as I know this does not count towards the word count and I have got 6 appendices! Any other tips about where I can stick my text so that it will not count as part of the word count? Cheers dudes xx :eek:

ReputationRep:
    print it out, then type it up again with the printout in front of you.
    And cut out any words you don't need, or any sentence which doesn't have a point.

I had to do this for my PS and it was hard because I liked it all, but if you cut the worst bits out, per word, it can only get better.

ReputationRep:
    Go over it, take notes on the main points, and rewrite it. If you're a thousand words over the limit, you've either gone into way too much detail or you've rambled.

ReputationRep:
    Do what I did with my personal statement. Take all the waffle out and turn unimportant paragraphs into sentences.

Hope that helps...

Jason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happi_red)
    I need to know ways I can reduce my word count! I have written an essay that is 1000 words over the limit! I have already put some text in a table as I know this does not count towards the word count and I have got 6 appendices! Any other tips about where I can stick my text so that it will not count as part of the word count? Cheers dudes xx :eek:
    Is it not possible to simplify some of what you've written, and I hope you haven't repeated anything...

What essay is this, is it coursework and what's your exam board? AQA are faily lenient, however not sure how lenient with 1000 words. I managed an A despite being 500 words over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happi_red)
    Erm, try to reduce the amount of descriptions u do make into one word adjectives...that cud reduce the word count. al da best of luk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godmaster)
    Erm, try to reduce the amount of descriptions u do make into one word adjectives...that cud reduce the word count. al da best of luk!
    If he/she manages to cut it down by at least 500 words it should be okay. I doubt teachers/examiners will be that petty. I've gotten away with being at the most seven hundred words over the word limit. Additionally be clever and change the font and font size so it looks right!

ReputationRep:
    Use contractions, as you're, it's, that's, they're etc only count as 1 word.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.