Slm1809
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm just wondering if anyone could offer any opinions/advice on what they think about the Graduate Fast-Track Diploma for CILEx. I graduated from a RG uni last year with a 1st in Law. I've had an offer from a law firm today to start in a supporting role in their private client/wills/probate department. They said they would pay the costs of my CILEx.

Is this a beneficial route into to starting my legal career? I've read so many contrasting opinions online. I'm not sure if I would want to go on and do the LPC to become a solicitor after I'd done the CILEx, it would all depend on opportunities/salaries etc once I had completed it.

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you already have a 1st in a Law degree, from a reputable university no less, then...not to pass judgement on CILEx but I would question why you would need to pursue that route at all.

CILEx is more for legal professionals who have been working in industry without a degree who want to qualify, or those who studied other subjects and don't want to/can't afford to do a GDL.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Imo become a solicitor.
Slm1809
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
If you already have a 1st in a Law degree, from a reputable university no less, then...not to pass judgement on CILEx but I would question why you would need to pursue that route at all.

CILEx is more for legal professionals who have been working in industry without a degree who want to qualify, or those who studied other subjects and don't want to/can't afford to do a GDL.

Yeah that's the gist of what I've been reading online. What it comes down to is the fact I can't afford to fund the LPC on my own, and I have little legal work experience so that's why I'm contemplating it
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Slm1809)
Yeah that's the gist of what I've been reading online. What it comes down to is the fact I can't afford to fund the LPC on my own, and I have little legal work experience so that's why I'm contemplating it
Many training contracts are applied to before you do the LPC - and they pay for it (they sometimes specify certain modules they want you to take if it's more relevant to their area of practice). With a 1st from an RG uni this is a real possibility for you - I'd recommend trying to pursue that, maybe while doing some paralegal work in the meantime, and if you come up empty after a year or so (and haven't managed to save enough by then), then consider it.

The offer you have sounds like a way for them to get similar results but more cheaply - at your disadvantage. You may want to contact them and discuss the possibility of them funding the LPC, or part funding it (up to the amount of the CILEx at least would be a reasonable concession).
Slm1809
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Many training contracts are applied to before you do the LPC - and they pay for it (they sometimes specify certain modules they want you to take if it's more relevant to their area of practice). With a 1st from an RG uni this is a real possibility for you - I'd recommend trying to pursue that, maybe while doing some paralegal work in the meantime, and if you come up empty after a year or so (and haven't managed to save enough by then), then consider it.

The offer you have sounds like a way for them to get similar results but more cheaply - at your disadvantage. You may want to contact them and discuss the possibility of them funding the LPC, or part funding it (up to the amount of the CILEx at least would be a reasonable concession).
Yes I'm definitely going to consider asking them if I can just do a bit of paralegal work to gain experience for now whilst maybe applying for training contracts, or put forward the part-funded LPC idea to them. Thank you for your advice!
Mysha7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
From experience would not recommend cilex route to anyone out there completely avoid any cilex route!!!!
Law law law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mysha7777)
From experience would not recommend cilex route to anyone out there completely avoid any cilex route!!!!
Hi, do you mind if I ask why? I've been considering it..
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Law law law)
Hi, do you mind if I ask why? I've been considering it..
It’s probably just snobbery speaking. This is TSR after all where any university that isn’t Oxbridge is considered rubbish. Cilex is a widely accepted legal qualifications for legal executives. This user is talking out of their arse or is someone who couldn’t handle the distance learning option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.73%
Better than expected (146)
20.05%
Worse than expected (402)
55.22%

Watched Threads